UND a plus for MVFC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UND a plus for MVFC?

UND lost 35-20 to Eastern Washington today (9-28). I'm concerned whether UND is going to add to the reputation of the MVFC or will they "compete" for the conference cellar. Coach Bubba doesn't seem to have it figured out.

Re: UND a plus for MVFC?

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    UND lost 35-20 to Eastern Washington today (9-28). I concerned whether UND is going to add to the reputation of the MVFC or will they "compete" for the conference cellar. Coach Bubba doesn't seem to have it figured out.
    Bubba has been at UND a long time. He ran a very good defense for Roger Thomas and Dale Lennon, if anyone can get it going for UND it is Bubba, if not him, they bring someone new. They best not pull a.Jack West again and offer Stig a deal he can not refuse. You wondering what I am about talking about. It’s documented in Jim Vacura master thesis “History of Football at SDSU”. After winning three NCC titles at SDSU, UND hired Jack West away from SDSU for a few hundred dollars in 1930 and UND dominated the NCC for almost a decade. The good thing about Stig is that he is close to retirement and probably not in the market for a new job. Stig In my opinion will leave a better program than what found. Another coaching change will set UND back further. What contributed more than anything else at NDSU is continuity in coaching and strategy and the talent to execute. We are getting there one day at a time. I hope and pray our improvement week has went well.

Comment

I think a state flagship/land grant is always a good addition to an FCS conference. UND has been at the same level (or better) than USD in the same period of time, so I don't think they will drag the conference down at all. I also doubt that they ever become more than an occasional playoff participant that makes it every three years or so (see WIU). They're another easy travel game and a regional rival. They aren't the equivalent of adding UM or MSU, but they're really probably a better institutional fit than most of the eastern MVFC schools, and they don't hurt much from a competitive standpoint. They should have made the playoffs in 2015, were seeded in 2016, and might have a shot again at the postseason this year. That's better than Chris Streveler and the one hit wonders down south.

Comment

They’re going to be in the MVFC but right now I don’t see them causing our stock to go up. I had watched score updates of their EWU game and then this evening skipped through their fan message board thread...not a pretty picture right now.

Tibbs mentioned USD — when Nielsen was hired, I would have bet that he’d do remarkable things in year three but it hasn’t turned out that way.

Whether the MVFC is the top FCS conference this year is still undecided. UND’s addition to the group may not be an improvement.

Comment

I'm afraid if und doesn't go at least 7-4 this year he will be out.
          Und has a relatively new a.d. and he didn't hire schweigert. Might be time for new blood.
          In the pecking order, I see it ndsu, Sdsu , und than usd

Comment

o
            Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
            I think a state flagship/land grant is always a good addition to an FCS conference. UND has been at the same level (or better) than USD in the same period of time, so I don't think they will drag the conference down at all. I also doubt that they ever become more than an occasional playoff participant that makes it every three years or so (see WIU). They're another easy travel game and a regional rival. They aren't the equivalent of adding UM or MSU, but they're really probably a better institutional fit than most of the eastern MVFC schools, and they don't hurt much from a competitive standpoint. They should have made the playoffs in 2015, were seeded in 2016, and might have a shot again at the postseason this year. That's better than Chris Streveler and the one hit wonders down south.
            UND is or has been the flagship of ND, but never a land grant school. NDSU is the land grant school for ND. Otherwise I agree with your comments. NDSU has been subject to all the cow college comments,and having 7 or 8 national championships does silence that kind of talk.
            Last edited by Nidaros; 09-29-2019, 02:36 AM.

Comment

They’re going to be in the MVFC but right now I don’t see them causing our stock to go up. I had watched score updates of their EWU game and then this evening skipped through their fan message board thread...not a pretty picture right now.

Tibbs mentioned USD — when Nielsen was hired, I would have bet that he’d do remarkable things in year three but it hasn’t turned out that way.

Whether the MVFC is the top FCS conference this year is still undecided. UND’s addition to the group may not be an improvement.
              EWU seems to be very good and losing to them may not be worst thing at UND. I wonder if the Jacks could handle EWU. I would hope so. I think the UND institution as a whole is in some of a financial crisis. Those with political clout seem to be UND grads so I am sure that crisis will be worked out. I haven’t seen any enrollment numbers, suspect they are down well as is NDSU. Fargo radio has talked about empty apartments near campus. I do think UND coming to the Summit and MVFC is a good thing. They do not appear to be as invincible as they were in the last few years of the NCC, but I think in the long run they will add to the MVFC.
              Last edited by Nidaros; 09-29-2019, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                Bubba has been at UND a long time. He ran a very good defense for Roger Thomas and Dale Lennon, if anyone can get it going for UND it is Bubba, if not him, they bring someone new. They best not pull a.Jack West again and offer Stig a deal he can not refuse. You wondering what I am about talking about. It’s documented in Jim Vacura master thesis “History of Football at SDSU”. After winning three NCC titles at SDSU, UND hired Jack West away from SDSU for a few hundred dollars in 1930 and UND dominated the NCC for almost a decade. The good thing about Stig is that he is close to retirement and probably not in the market for a new job. Stig In my opinion will leave a better program than what found. Another coaching change will set UND back further. What contributed more than anything else at NDSU is continuity in coaching and strategy and the talent to execute. We are getting there one day at a time. I hope and pray our improvement week has went well.
                I agree that Stig is unlikely to leave, but I'd wonder if the Fightin' Hawks might try to poach Eck.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                  I agree that Stig is unlikely to leave, but I'd wonder if the Fightin' Hawks might try to poach Eck.
                  Certainly a possibility. Looking south ward for a solution, they cant look north.

Comment

UND lost 35-20 to Eastern Washington today (9-28). I'm concerned whether UND is going to add to the reputation of the MVFC or will they "compete" for the conference cellar. Coach Bubba doesn't seem to have it figured out.
                    Not sure how much stock I'd put in game impacted by unseasonably cold temps., snow, and high winds in which UND had six turnovers and a QB recovering from injury.

Their roster suggests they're a relatively young team, so one would think they could at least reach second tier of Valley teams. How they fare against UC-Davis next week and Weber State later in season might help suggest direction program will be entering first MVFC season.

Comment

Certainly a possibility. Looking south ward for a solution, they cant look north.
                      How about southeast (if Coach Eidsness can resolve 3rd down issues)?

Comment

o

UND is or has been the flagship of ND, but never a land grant school. NDSU is the land grant school for ND. Otherwise I agree with your comments. NDSU has been subject to all the cow college comments,and having 7 or 8 national championships does silence that kind of talk.
                        Maybe I should have clarified my comments. A flagship OR a land grant is a good add. I'm aware of the land grant status and mission for SDSU/NDSU/Montana State/etc. Trust me, I'll never confuse a "flagship" with a land grant. That'd be an insult to every land grant out there!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                          Maybe I should have clarified my comments. A flagship OR a land grant is a good add. I'm aware of the land grant status and mission for SDSU/NDSU/Montana State/etc. Trust me, I'll never confuse a "flagship" with a land grant. That'd be an insult to every land grant out there!
                          Good enough. I did not notice the OR which you meant to include. I have no reservations about UND joining the MVFC.

Comment

What? They wouldn't be interested in a Winnipeg Blue Bombers assistant?
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                              What? They wouldn't be interested in a Winnipeg Blue Bombers assistant?
                              Maybe so

Comment

Working...
                              X