Improvement week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improvement week

Jacks enter Improvement Week with the record many of us expected. There were some flashes of brlliance, a few "oh crap" moments, and little dings to big injuries.

Besides getting healthy and some rest what are some of the things you hope your favorite team is concentrating on? I'll start, mine is hoping they can find a way to hold Cade out of KR unless it's needed in a big spot in a big game.

Re: Improvement week

I just want them to stay/get healthy. Stay out of trouble. And yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing them try Campbell or Wilson back on KOR. I am pretty sure Daniel is back there to block, not necessarily return the kicks. The other night he & the KOR'er were stacked on each other so the kicking team couldn't tell who was back deep unless they were watching them run on the field.

Comment

Any word on Zach Heins injury? Definitely looked like something bad when it happened

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
        Any word on Zach Heins injury? Definitely looked like something bad when it happened
        Stig said on his radio show that he is done for the season. He didn't elaborate on it much. I didn't catch if he mentioned anything about Ta jah Davis.
        Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Originally posted by Gojacks2487 View Post
          Stig said on his radio show that he is done for the season. He didn't elaborate on it much. I didn't catch if he mentioned anything about Ta jah Davis.
          Both likely ACLs. They thought Heins was for sure. I haven’t heard any update since Saturday night though.
          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
            Both likely ACLs. They thought Heins was for sure. I haven’t heard any update since Saturday night though.
            Did zach redshirt last year? Or Will he be able to redshirt this year?
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              Did zach redshirt last year? Or Will he be able to redshirt this year?
              he redshirted last year, bummer for him. Wonder if medical redshirt is likely?

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                he redshirted last year, bummer for him. Wonder if medical redshirt is likely?
                i believe medical redshirts are given to athletes that have lost multiple years to injury so if he was only redshirting last year and not injured he most likely wouldn’t receive an extra year.

Comment

Speaking of injuries... tough day for the MVFC in general. Ryan Boyle (IND St QB), Andrew Edgar (Illinois State WR) Taylor Grimes, (Illinois State WR), and Gabe Magnuson (Illinois State OL) likely all done for the season. Briley Moore (UNI TE and pro prospect) weird shoulder injury and hasn't played since the first week. We haven't even gotten into the meat grinder of conference play and teams are already really banged up.
                  Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                    Speaking of injuries... tough day for the MVFC in general. Ryan Boyle (IND St QB), Andrew Edgar (Illinois State WR) Taylor Grimes, (Illinois State WR), and Gabe Magnuson (Illinois State OL) likely all done for the season. Briley Moore (UNI TE and pro prospect) weird shoulder injury and hasn't played since the first week. We haven't even gotten into the meat grinder of conference play and teams are already really banged up.
                    Wow Illinois state is having some terrible luck
                    Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

I'd like to see the o-line find some level of consistency. We've seen two very good games out of them, a bad game, and a so-so game. Who are they as a group?

I think the tackles have been fine but the interior has been soft and I'm nervous about that entering MVFC play. NDSU's interior is down slightly this year but will still be a handful. UNI and Illinois State are stout as usual along the defensive line. YSU has a good duo at DE again but isn't as talented on the inside.
                      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                        I'd like to see the o-line find some level of consistency. We've seen two very good games out of them, a bad game, and a so-so game. Who are they as a group?

I think the tackles have been fine but the interior has been soft and I'm nervous about that entering MVFC play. NDSU's interior is down slightly this year but will still be a handful. UNI and Illinois State are stout as usual along the defensive line. YSU has a good duo at DE again but isn't as talented on the inside.
                        That's my main concern too. On the one hand, I think it's a good sign that we still haven't played our best ball yet. On the other hand, it's concerning that they looked below average against weaker opponents.

I'm also slightly concerned by the QB pressure and sacks on D. I was expecting that we would have had a few more at this point in the year, especially considering who we've played. Instead, we're averaging 1.75 per game. All the blitzes and slants don't mean as much if they don't create pressure. I'm hoping that we see that number jump up a full 1-2 sacks per game for Valley play.

I'd also like to see us start holding the ball for 35 minutes per game or more on a consistent basis for conference play. We have a good D this year, but keeping then off the field as much as possible will make them elite. Run the ball, play action pass, etc. will help us hold onto the ball and keep them fresh.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                          That's my main concern too. On the one hand, I think it's a good sign that we still haven't played our best ball yet. On the other hand, it's concerning that they looked below average against weaker opponents.

I'm also slightly concerned by the QB pressure and sacks on D. I was expecting that we would have had a few more at this point in the year, especially considering who we've played. Instead, we're averaging 1.75 per game. All the blitzes and slants don't mean as much if they don't create pressure. I'm hoping that we see that number jump up a full 1-2 sacks per game for Valley play.

I'd also like to see us start holding the ball for 35 minutes per game or more on a consistent basis for conference play. We have a good D this year, but keeping then off the field as much as possible will make them elite. Run the ball, play action pass, etc. will help us hold onto the ball and keep them fresh.
                          I agree with your last paragraph in particular. I looked up at the scoreboard and noticed the disparity in time of possession but then look at the score that counts. I thought how can that be? I think we got a great number of yards out of rbacks that translated into points on the board. Our D defense needs rest. We are deep this year, SUU had tricky offend. Hopefully our conference was not watching.

Comment

For improvements, how about getting off to a faster start offensively? In conjunction with OL, etc., we've looked sluggish for the first 1 to 1-1/2 quarters. Shouldn't our O start out by dictating the game to the D? It seems like we've had to wait and adjust to the D.

On the flip side, we have had strong 2nd halfs, whether from coaching adjustments or players stepping up.

Comment

Working...
                            X