Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: SUU Thunderbirds

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    Am I wrong or does Gibbs pretty much stare down his primary receiver a LOT of the time?
    I don't think that's the case. If his first read is open he's going to throw it, and I think SUU had a lot of trouble covering our guys. There were plenty of times where his first read just wasn't there and he went through progressions well. When I went back and watched the replay, you could see him very quickly look off his first read and get to the next one, which is a really good sign for a freshman QB. Tough to see subtleties like that live.

Even the interception on the 2nd drive, he had Anderson and Heinz on the same side of the field and was reading the CB who was staying with Anderson going deep, so he wanted to throw it underneath to Heinz who was behind the LB. It was open, but he lead Heinz too much and floated it enough for the CB to make a good play and pick it off. Freshman mistake, but imo not a function of staring a guy down. Now, a veteran QB probably tries to manipulate the CB by making a fake deep then throwing under, or faking under and throwing deep. That will come with time.

Overall, I think he did well for his 2nd game at this level. He's especially good at throwing to a spot on the sideline and letting his WR go get it. The throw to CJ early and the back shoulder throws to Janke were high level throws that require great timing and touch.

Comment

I think the days of having a "feature" back are gone, and we're probably better for it. The committee approach let's us build depth, have 3 RBs in a single formation, and allows us to go with the hot hand/change up our scheme based on the opposing D. And I absolutely don't believe that we have backs right now that could sustain 30+ carries per game throughout a season. And we likely won't have that type of back again for quite some time. That isn't a knock on our current guys, but Zenner had a freakishly disciplined diet/exercise routine that helped him take that kind of beating that was above and beyond the normal team regimen. He actually added lean muscle mass during the course of a season, which is unheard of. Zenner was a generational talent, but also an incredible athlete in his ability to carry that load for 3.5 seasons. There's not very many backs out there that can do that.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
        I don't think that's the case. If his first read is open he's going to throw it, and I think SUU had a lot of trouble covering our guys. There were plenty of times where his first read just wasn't there and he went through progressions well. When I went back and watched the replay, you could see him very quickly look off his first read and get to the next one, which is a really good sign for a freshman QB. Tough to see subtleties like that live.

Even the interception on the 2nd drive, he had Anderson and Heinz on the same side of the field and was reading the CB who was staying with Anderson going deep, so he wanted to throw it underneath to Heinz who was behind the LB. It was open, but he lead Heinz too much and floated it enough for the CB to make a good play and pick it off. Freshman mistake, but imo not a function of staring a guy down. Now, a veteran QB probably tries to manipulate the CB by making a fake deep then throwing under, or faking under and throwing deep. That will come with time.

Overall, I think he did well for his 2nd game at this level. He's especially good at throwing to a spot on the sideline and letting his WR go get it. The throw to CJ early and the back shoulder throws to Janke were high level throws that require great timing and touch.
        Agree with all of that. He did look off a safety once or twice too, but it may not have been noticed. Also, when you're calling a play action or RPO, the rush action is designed to get on guy on the D to bite, meaning one person should be open right after the read. You've got to stare down that guy to make that first read. You aren't going to see a lot of look-offs with play action and or RPO's, which we run a lot of. The first pick was a bad throw, but he'll get better at placement through the season. Overall, I thought he played really well and should have finished with close to 70% completion if not for a drop or two, the Anderson incompletion that was reviewed, and the second pick, which was bobbled by the receiver.

I think J'Bore is playing solid right now and I like where his potential is at. The offense was just a lot sharper this weekend than in the past two. With an off-weak to get healthy, I like where we'really going. Anyone have any news on Heins?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
          I think the days of having a "feature" back are gone, and we're probably better for it. The committee approach let's us build depth, have 3 RBs in a single formation, and allows us to go with the hot hand/change up our scheme based on the opposing D. And I absolutely don't believe that we have backs right now that could sustain 30+ carries per game throughout a season. And we likely won't have that type of back again for quite some time. That isn't a knock on our current guys, but Zenner had a freakishly disciplined diet/exercise routine that helped him take that kind of beating that was above and beyond the normal team regimen. He actually added lean muscle mass during the course of a season, which is unheard of. Zenner was a generational talent, but also an incredible athlete in his ability to carry that load for 3.5 seasons. There's not very many backs out there that can do that.
          Now imagine the total yards ZZ would've had had the Tyrel Kool experiment happened...

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
            Reggie Gandy
            Was Winston Wright's brother in the RB room or WR?

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
              Was Winston Wright's brother in the RB room or WR?
              Dom was a WR.
              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post

The first INT was right near me, and this is correct... the pass was a misfire... Heinz was open. The result looked bad, because he overshot him and it looked like he was throwing to the defense...

He made some really nice throws too. I've actually been really impressed with him.

I didn't see the "staring down 1 WR" thing at all.

One thing I would like to see worked on, or improved is that one RB screen pass... man that has been a mess.
                Believe they ran it twice against Drake and once against SUU... just something off there... the D-linemen are all over it right away.

Comment

Working...
                X