• Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: SUU Thunderbirds

Rozeboom having a tough game so far

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
      And then ... yeesh.
      I'm chalking that up to 1) freshman and 2) hasn't played much (which is a variant of 1), actually).
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I’m not sure why but I just don’t get warm fuzzies about this team. Seems we are just kinda meh at this point in the season.

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
          Rozeboom having a tough game so far
          This didn’t age well. Nice pick six by Rozeboom

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
            I’m not sure why but I just don’t get warm fuzzies about this team. Seems we are just kinda meh at this point in the season.
            Disagree. I don't think we're playing like the number 3 team in the nation right now, but I think we're playing at a top 10ish level. Need to be more consistent and clean up penalties, but this has been a pretty good performance tonight, with the exception of giving up a lot of yards. My opinion is that if this team doesn't show growth, quarterfinals is probably our ceiling. With a little growth, no reason to not think this is a semi-final team. And to be honest, part of that has to,do with the rest of the country. Right now, teams playing at a high level include:

NDSU
            Cal Davis (ish)
            JMU
            Towson
            Nova
            Maine (ish)

That's about it. EWU lost today to Idaho, the Montana Schools have been okay, JSU has a bad loss and and good win, YSU hasn't played anyone, and ISUR has looked decent against okay teams. Furman has looked good, but is still only 2-2. Same story with the Citadel. And Uni barely beat Idaho State at home today.

This Jacks team hasn't reached their potential yet. If they don't grow, we're on the outside looking in at a top 8 seed. Could go either way. Develop a little more, and this could be a top 4 seed.

Comment

Am I wrong or does Gibbs pretty much stare down his primary receiver a LOT of the time?
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                Am I wrong or does Gibbs pretty much stare down his primary receiver a LOT of the time?
                I agree. Looks like he pre determines where he is going to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                  Yeah hard for a freshman not too. To bad he missed the last couple games. Would have been great experience.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                    Yeah. It's his second game. But then he does stuff like that TD to Strong. That was a great play.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                      Yeah. It's his second game. But then he does stuff like that TD to Strong. That was a great play.
                      Yep. Yet let that play develop and got the ball to strong just at the right time with good touch on it.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Pretty sure strong just took that ball from gibbs to run in for a td. The offense looks good. Defense is bending but not breaking which is what you ask against a team that likes to dink and dunk it's way down the field.

Comment

14,269 attendance. Perfect weather.

Good win win with lots of new numbers getting playing experience.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                            14,269 attendance. Perfect weather.

Good win win with lots of new numbers getting playing experience.
                            Yes it was a great experience. What I can not figure out is the stats of SUU getting off 8o something plays and still only scoring 7 points. Of course at least 3 missed FG, plus our defense was on the field for a disproportional amount of time. This was a great test for our defense and I think we held our own. A win is a win, our freshman quarterback had maybe a 80-90 performance. I dont like to start making comparisons but Trey Lance at NDSU had a pretty good game.

Comment

from the official stats Time of possession:

Possession Time
                              31:16 SUU
                              28:44 SDSU
                              1st Quarter
                              9:12 SUU
                              5:48 SDSU
                              2nd Quarter
                              7:18 SUU
                              7:42 SDSU
                              3rd Quarter
                              9:38 SUU
                              5:22 SDSU
                              4th Quarter
                              5:08 SUU
                              9:52 SDSU

It looks like we evened it up in the 4th quarter, but really it seems like our D spent too much time on the field and that is how SUU ran the number of plays up.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                                Yes it was a great experience. What I can not figure out is the stats of SUU getting off 8o something plays and still only scoring 7 points. Of course at least 3 missed FG, plus our defense was on the field for a disproportional amount of time. This was a great test for our defense and I think we held our own. A win is a win, our freshman quarterback had maybe a 80-90 performance. I dont like to start making comparisons but Trey Lance at NDSU had a pretty good game.
                                Tyler and Brady Hale discussed this in postgame, noting DL depth/rotation being important given number of plays Thunderbirds ran. Nevertheless, I was frustrated with what seemed like blatant holds on DL (Krolikowski, Earith, and Ogunrinde were victims of at least a handful throughout the game).

I still can't get over the Twin Terrors from Iowa. Imagine being SUU player or fan and having Backhaus nearly force a fumble and then a play later having Rozeboom's pick 6. Then, Backhaus essentially knocked Helbig out of the game on a QB run.

Tyler and Brady also mentioned Backhaus sustaining an injury in practice last week, and it looked like Rozeboom tweaked his leg at one point, so the bye is coming at a great time.

Looking like almost perfect fall FB weather in a couple weeks for a smackdown of some Salukis.

Comment

Working...
                                X