Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SUU game week: BEEF BOWL

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
    I think it's awesome they're playing USD earlier in the season, as you'd certainly hope that'd boost attendance.

They have camera pedestals on east side. I wonder how the TV view would compare if they replaced at least the west side camera prone to show sparse east side crowds with one on the east side. It could help reduce the detrimental crowd views and improve some replay angles. Unfortunately, I think the camera being exposed to the elements on east side might be one reason those camera options are used less frequently.
    In 2017, NBC North Dakota broadcast the Marker game from the east side. The full game is available on youtube. It can be easily done. Watch that game and you'll notice that the game looks about 1000x times better. Only issue is that the rabbit logo is upside down, which is a pretty small price to pay of you ask me.

Comment

I think it's awesome they're playing USD earlier in the season, as you'd certainly hope that'd boost attendance.

They have camera pedestals on east side. I wonder how the TV view would compare if they replaced at least the west side camera prone to show sparse east side crowds with one on the east side. It could help reduce the detrimental crowd views and improve some replay angles. Unfortunately, I think the camera being exposed to the elements on east side might be one reason those camera options are used less frequently.
      We had season tickets on the east side for a couple of years, and the sun was definitely a factor, especially early in the night games. That could be a factor in having the cameras on the west side.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
        In 2017, NBC North Dakota broadcast the Marker game from the east side. The full game is available on youtube. It can be easily done. Watch that game and you'll notice that the game looks about 1000x times better. Only issue is that the rabbit logo is upside down, which is a pretty small price to pay of you ask me.
        Yeah, I know they've used them. Pretty sure they've been used in Showdown games as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          We had season tickets on the east side for a couple of years, and the sun was definitely a factor, especially early in the night games. That could be a factor in having the cameras on the west side.
          Filters and shades could be used to counter glare from the sun though, right?

To clarify, I'm not saying all cameras should be moved to east side. One that'd provide another perspective could suffice.

Speaking of glare from sun, the glare during afternoon games later in season (at least near midfield) is pretty significant. I seem to recall area near student entrance having most noticeable glare. Too bad they couldn't build a "Alumni Wall of Honor" in that area above student entry gates to honor fallen military veterans and pro players

Comment

I wonder if part of the reason for camera views is because of the sun. Evening games the sun shines directly into the eyes of the east side, may not be very good for video.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
              I wonder if part of the reason for camera views is because of the sun. Evening games the sun shines directly into the eyes of the east side, may not be very good for video.
              All I know is we have had a lot of games where the west side and student section are pretty full, and on TV it looks like hardly anybody is there. The west side grandstand is impressive (for our level), and we show empty bleachers week after week on Midco.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                All I know is we have had a lot of games where the west side and student section are pretty full, and on TV it looks like hardly anybody is there. The west side grandstand is impressive (for our level), and we show empty bleachers week after week on Midco.
                Agree completely. It's got to change. Anyone want to write a letter to the AD about it? Signed by everyone on this forum. I'm sure they're aware of it, but sometimes it takes some voices from the crowd to get it to change.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                  Agree completely. It's got to change. Anyone want to write a letter to the AD about it? Signed by everyone on this forum. I'm sure they're aware of it, but sometimes it takes some voices from the crowd to get it to change.
                  The only real drawback for me would be that the logo in the middle of the field would look upside down from that side. Beside that, fully agree.

Comment

Maybe more people should go to the game and be part of the solution rather than watching it on Midco and then you don't have to see all those empty seats on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                      Maybe more people should go to the game and be part of the solution rather than watching it on Midco and then you don't have to see all those empty seats on TV.
                      I understand where you're going with that, but showing a side of the stadium that looks full is going to help entice those Midco watchers to go to a game because they're missing out on a good atmosphere. Showing empty stands on TV isnt going to help get anymore people to the game. It's a simple solution to at least not make the problem look worse. Watching on TV right now, you'd assume there're about 2k people at a home game. Show the home side and show the huge press box and stands full of people, and at least you're advertising the best part of the product. Not the worst.

Comment

OK. I'll try nagging my friends more.

When I tell them about the awesome atmosphere at games, will they believe me or their lying eyes?
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

OK. I'll try nagging my friends more.

When I tell them about the awesome atmosphere at games, will they believe me or their lying eyes?
                          You really think a marginal fan is being influenced about driving to Brookings and paying for a ticket is influenced by how many people they see on the east side of the stadium from the comfort of their couch?

Comment

You really think a marginal fan is being influenced about driving to Brookings and paying for a ticket is influenced by how many people they see on the east side of the stadium from the comfort of their couch?
                            I think that's the point, marginal fans, if they have no connection to SDSU it will be hard to get many to turn into fans. Maybe some who are in the right phase of life who like sports but maybe didn't go to SDSU would enjoy going now if they went. I think SDSU needs to do what it can to reestablish its relationships with its graduates, not just ones who went to games when they were students but reach out in ways to get alumni and frankly former students who didn't graduate but maybe transferred still connected to the school. I think that's going to be our base of growing fans are those connected to SDSU but get them connected to sports now. like have the state pharmacy convention in brookings the weekend of the football game. Maybe pharmacists from over the years are fans, I know that for a fact, but many probably only went for school for pharmacy and limited engagement to the sports side of it. Have a reception for the convention at the Sjac or the club 71 room or what ever it is. I know its not that easy just to make that happen, but things like that I think would actually pay off more to grow our fan base, give people an extra reason to be in Brookings, and oh by the way, here are discounted football tickets if you don't have any come to the game and have a great time. Or each home game, one of the colleges at SDSU has something going on, not just a class reunion but something, that could draw fans and alumni to Brookings for an event and tie together with a football game. My parents are getting older in their 70s, but with bad hips and knees so walking a bunch and they just don't have the energy to go to games like they use too. however dad had his 50th class reunion for the LIU game and during the summer my parents were asking me if we wanted to go and how many tickets to get for the family. Usually I have to pry to get them to a game or two a year, usually a guilt trip to spend the afternoon with the grand kids work. They would rather grand kids come to the house instead. It works though most of the time since my kids love coming to the games. Sorry that got a little long winded but If SDSU can get more people to Brookings not just for a football game, I think they can get people to the games and with a little advertising maybe get some new fans. Like have a code on the ticket stub you can get a discount on new season tickets or something. TLDR
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Yes, I do.

FOMO (fear of missing out) is a powerful marketing tool.

Fans who watch from home on a regular basis aren't missing out on anything as far as they can tell. The thing they are missing out on isn't being shown to them.

Comment

Yes, I do.

FOMO (fear of missing out) is a powerful marketing tool.

Fans who watch from home on a regular basis aren't missing out on anything as far as they can tell. The thing they are missing out on isn't being shown to them.
                                Definitely. What's the old saying? "Nothing attracts a crowd quite like a crowd". I think only showing the west side would be huge, but even if it wasn't, it's a simple solution and it isn't going to hurt. It can only help, even if it just makes us look more "big time". Outside of the number of empty seats, I really hate that the only part of our 65 million dollar stadium you see on TV is the smaller, bland Eastside (no offense to our east side folks). I'd way rather show our tall grandstand with suites/loges/ and a pressboard running end zone to endzone. Not that oops mention the fact that the west side is typically 85% full or better. It's just a way better look.

Comment

Working...
                                X