Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Attendance & Alcohol

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
    Really, good teams don’t want to come to the Dakotas? The Bison just had a game this year withp traditional power Delaware and had Eastern Washington in Fargo just a couple of years ago. Heck, UND was just able to get traditionally strong Sam Houston State to play in Grand Forks. You’re really going to tell me that good teams are avoiding the Dakotas?
    I made my comments based on a former staff member who had the job of scheduling. I don’t think being off the beaten path scenario has changed much. Sam Houston is not in the CAA, but in the sticks of Texas. Other than Duquesne and Robert Morris we have not had many East Coasters come to Brookings. Not an easy task.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 09-16-2019, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Re: GDT: Drake Bulldogs

I am almost wondering if we are almost sandbagging a little bit. it just seems we are running our base off and def. other then the Cade run play its seems like its been kinda basic. That could be an answer on why our performances have been inconsistent. Maybe its just Nelson. Maybe we aren't totally showing our hand before conference play. Something just has not been right at times these past to games. I know stig has mentioned that they haven't been grading that well. Maybe Gibbs just brings a better sense of protections and feel. I do think Nelson looked better than last week and had a few nice balls but he defiantly did not make decisions well. I would say he looks for like a RFR.
      Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

I don't know why everyone is so down on Nelson.

I'll admit he probably isn't the guy to take us where we want to go... but IMO, he is doing pretty much what we would hope/expect from a 2nd string QB.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I'd like to see a home-and-home with Stephen F. Austin... I miss seeing my Jackrabbits, and it's a 2-day drive from Nacogdoches to Brookings.
          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

I'll admit he probably isn't the guy to take us where we want to go... but IMO, he is doing pretty much what we would hope/expect from a 2nd string QB.
            I mean he is 2-0.

Comment

I think it's a function of high expectations. Is he a servicable backup QB for most FCS teams? Sure. Is he someone that would be able to step in permanently and get us a seed in the playoffs and have a chance at winning it all? I don't think so. Getting a seed and having a chance at winning it all is now an expectation, especially with the team around him at this point. If we're honest with ourselves, going into spring ball, he was 4th on the depth chart behind Gibbs/Walding/Connors. Since 2 of those 3 left and Gibbs got injured, he is getting his opportunity to play. However, I don't think this was ever in the cards for him without the extenuating circumstance SDSU football finds itself in.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                I think it's a function of high expectations. Is he a servicable backup QB for most FCS teams? Sure. Is he someone that would be able to step in permanently and get us a seed in the playoffs and have a chance at winning it all? I don't think so. Getting a seed and having a chance at winning it all is now an expectation, especially with the team around him at this point. If we're honest with ourselves, going into spring ball, he was 4th on the depth chart behind Gibbs/Walding/Connors. Since 2 of those 3 left and Gibbs got injured, he is getting his opportunity to play. However, I don't think this was ever in the cards for him without the extenuating circumstance SDSU football finds itself in.
                Agreed on all points. My biggest complaint is that you can tell that he can't run the same type of offense at the same level of tempo and speed as we saw Gibbs do against UM. Go rewatch some of that game, and then watch Nelson. Gibbs just has more rythtm and looks a lot more directive than Nelson. If we were running an offense that looked like the 2012 Jackrabbits, Nelson would probably be serviceable well into the playoff's (see YSU in 2016). We weren't running read option and RPOs in 2012, but we are now. And those reads, combined with timing and passing ability, are where he leaves a lot to be desired. I'm just not sure that he's a good QB for the system that has made our offense what it is, let alone the talent gap in his abilities compared to Gibbs. In fairness, maybe with a couple more weeks practicing at QB1, he could improve on those timing and read aspects. But I don't think that'll happen, because he's had about 4 years to do so. He's serviceable if we need him, but we're in trouble if Gibbs goes down for an extended period of time. Let's not kid ourselves in these last 2 games: The lopsided victory came about because the D played very well, grinding both teams down and creating short fields. The halftime stats of both games indicate that the O was flat and pulled away in the second half. If he plays against SUU (or any other team), I'll be cheering him on and hoping to see improvement, but I don't think he's going to be a long term answer at QB2.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                  I mean he is 2-0.
                  Really???? Good lord, we could've had a RB run the wildcat and ran every down and we still should've gone 2-0 against those teams. I can see where we could feel this way if we were USD or MO St...not this Jack team though. The Backup QB needs to be better that what we've seen against the last two teams we've played.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                    I don't think he's going to be a long term answer at QB2.
                    This is the exact reason why I don't understand that we didn't see more of Hiede or Hunter in both LIU and Drake games. We can't be the only ones that see that he's not the answer. So why not get the other 2 more reps? You burnt one of Heide's 4 games against LIU and only saw him throw the ball twice. You burnt one of Hunter's 4 games against Drake and didn't even get to see him throw the ball... Was that really a good use of one of their 4 games? How many other games this year are you going to be able to get them in and see what you have? I just don't get it. Unless it's completely obvious to the coaches from practice that Nelson is our clear option at #2 and they're just trying to get him as many reps as possible in case we need him later in the year... I guess I can understand it. I refuse to believe that's the case though.

Comment

Some of us get very detailed. I agree with you Nelson is a second stringer and crabbing on his performance does not help anyone least of all, Nelson.

Comment

This!

Comment

Re: Attendance & Alcohol

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          Yes i
                          I made my comments based on a former staff member who had the job of scheduling. I don’t think being off the beaten path scenario has changed much. Sam Houston is not in the CAA, but in the sticks of Texas. Other than Duquesne and Robert Morris we have not had many East Coasters come to Brookings. Not an easy task.
                          I think it has more to do with the talent and success SDSU has produced on a consistent basis and less to do with our location.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                            This!
                            I don't know about everyone else but I'd expect a heck of a lot more from my 2nd string QB against a team that just transitioned from D2 and a non scholarship team. I'd expect not much of a drop off from my 2nd QB in that situation. I mean honestly most #2 QBs should still be putting up some Tecmo Bowl type numbers.

I have no doubt that Kanin is a fine young fellow and a great teammate. I hate to get down on him. That said, he is 4 years in the system...go watch the replay of his 2 games. He locks on to the first option and rarely moves past that. Many times on the read option he isn't even reading it, if he was he'd have several long runs of his own. He has lead our WRs into dangerous collisions. Two times he has thrown deep balls to Cade in double coverage and each time Cade bailed him out. Each one of those throws. if it would have been against a playoff caliber D they would've been picked off. TWICE he has fumbled inside the 10 yard line.

Let's be honest here, he is good kid that is loyal to the Jacks. If he seriously wanted to be a starting college QB, he'd be at Augie or DWU. Sorry, if we need to rely on him to win a playoff game we better hope the D stays nasty and the run game gets us 300+ yds.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                              I don't know about everyone else but I'd expect a heck of a lot more from my 2nd string QB against a team that just transitioned from D2 and a non scholarship team. I'd expect not much of a drop off from my 2nd QB in that situation. I mean honestly most #2 QBs should still be putting up some Tecmo Bowl type numbers.

I have no doubt that Kanin is a fine young fellow and a great teammate. I hate to get down on him. That said, he is 4 years in the system...go watch the replay of his 2 games. He locks on to the first option and rarely moves past that. Many times on the read option he isn't even reading it, if he was he'd have several long runs of his own. He has lead our WRs into dangerous collisions. Two times he has thrown deep balls to Cade in double coverage and each time Cade bailed him out. Each one of those throws. if it would have been against a playoff caliber D they would've been picked off. TWICE he has fumbled inside the 10 yard line.

Let's be honest here, he is good kid that is loyal to the Jacks. If he seriously wanted to be a starting college QB, he'd be at Augie or DWU. Sorry, if we need to rely on him to win a playoff game we better hope the D stays nasty and the run game gets us 300+ yds.
                              I've been to both home games. It's kinda hard to argue with that.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                                This is the exact reason why I don't understand that we didn't see more of Hiede or Hunter in both LIU and Drake games. We can't be the only ones that see that he's not the answer. So why not get the other 2 more reps? You burnt one of Heide's 4 games against LIU and only saw him throw the ball twice. You burnt one of Hunter's 4 games against Drake and didn't even get to see him throw the ball... Was that really a good use of one of their 4 games? How many other games this year are you going to be able to get them in and see what you have? I just don't get it. Unless it's completely obvious to the coaches from practice that Nelson is our clear option at #2 and they're just trying to get him as many reps as possible in case we need him later in the year... I guess I can understand it. I refuse to believe that's the case though.
                                My guess is that we are playing the long game. We are saving appearances for Heide. Heaven forbid if Gibbs is out for 1-3 conference games, I bet we see a Heide. Save a few emergency conference games without burning his redshirt. That’s my thought.

Comment

Working...
                                X