Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Attendance & Alcohol

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    You have to factor in who those starts were against.
    I mean it wasn't against a vaunted Minnesota team that has a 7 point win over us, a 2 OT win over Fresno St, and a 3 point win over Georgia So.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
      I mean it wasn't against a vaunted Minnesota team that has a 7 point win over us, a 2 OT win over Fresno St, and a 3 point win over Georgia So.
      I don't know how well LIU is going go do this season, but their D-line came to play and I think were better then our O-line. Like most SDSU teams our team will go as far as our O-line will take us. When they are on they are one of the best, if they aren't, they are barely above average. Im not sure what to think of them after 3 games. I judge how we do by our O-line more then our QB. NDSU their o-line is the difference 99% of the time. Nelson needs to learn to trust his eyes, know where is WR is going and trust them. I think some of his problem is it doesn't look good coverage but really it would be a pretty good throw if he would take it. he can't just look for the wide open WR every time. Its not like TC made every throw in stride with his targets. I remember a lot of JW and DG making his bad throws turn into spectacular catches. There were some down field throws TC missed JW way to many times where he had a good 3-5 yard cushion and TC just would over throw it.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        You're comparing Minnesota to LIU and Drake...

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
          You're comparing Minnesota to LIU and Drake...
          Nope.

Comment

Being the backup QB has to require a unique mindset. When a team has quality depth at every other position, it's seen as a strength as it allows the ability to rotate players in and keep the starters fresh. But at QB, being the backup basically means that you will only get playing time if the starter goes down or in mop-up duties. And if you happen to be in the same class as a stud QB, it has to be especially tough knowing you will be spending a lot of time standing next to the coaches holding a clipboard unless the starter gets hurt or ends up being a bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
              Nelson is far from perfect, but I think he's performing pretty decent for a backup QB with two career starts.

So far he is 18-26 (69% completion) for 267 yards and 3 TD's.

Yeah, he's made some bad throws, had a couple bad TO's on fumbles, and made a few poor decisions.

But he's also a backup QB making his first two starts of his career, and I think has admirably performed to those expectations.
              It might be worth considering... our RsF QB will likely make some bad throws, have turnovers, and make poor decisions when he comes back as well. In fact, he already did those things in the 1 game we watched him play. That is not a knock on Gibbs at all, just reality.

If/when it happens, I fully expect a thread about how Stig is a terrible coach and should be on the hotseat.

IMO, Nelson has been OK. Not great, but not awful either. Just OK.

All QB's make mistakes. Or maybe I'm the only poster old enough to remember TC turfing balls to wide open receivers and throwing a million interceptions at JMU.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                It might be worth considering... our RsF QB will likely make some bad throws, have turnovers, and make poor decisions when he comes back as well. In fact, he already did those things in the 1 game we watched him play. That is not a knock on Gibbs at all, just reality.

If/when it happens, I fully expect a thread about how Stig is a terrible coach and should be on the hotseat.

All QB's make mistakes. Or maybe I'm the only poster old enough to remember TC turfing balls to wide open receivers and throwing a million interceptions at JMU.
                Agree with this post so much. I don't understand the trashing of Nelson. He's won two games. Two games in which we can almost all agree (how often does this happen) our offensive line play was pretty sh*tty. You put any QB behind a sketchy offensive line and they generally don't perform well. Couple that with the fact Nelson likely hasn't seen a ton of time practicing as the #1 QB and you have a recipe for some mistakes.

Comment

Re: GDT: Drake Bulldogs

Also, I’m pretty sure that Gibbs is going to have a hard time living up to the legend that has grown in his absence. We have a sample size of one game. Our postseason chances probably largely rest with getting him some reps before things get really tough because there are bound to be lots more stumbles than we’ve gotten used to the last several years.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

YES!!! I talked about this in the podcast last night. Absolutley 100%.

Gibbs has a higher ceiling. Nelson likely has a higher floor AT THIS POINT in his game, which is good for a backup QB. I am no way excusing the throws Nelson missed or the fumbles or the high passes but we don't know that Gibbs won't experience these same things. I think we do know that Gibbs has demonstrated, even in a limited sample size, to have greater arm talent.

I am also glad Gibbs is back and think he is the best QB for the job at this point. I just don't want people to freak out when Gibbs struggles against some good MVFC defenses. As has been stated by others, losing QB recruits Alec Cromer and Ethan Bullock hurt but you can't blame them either.
                    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

• Re: GDT: Drake Bulldogs

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                      Also, I’m pretty sure that Gibbs is going to have a hard time living up to the legend that has grown in his absence. We have a sample size of one game. Our postseason chances probably largely rest with getting him some reps before things get really tough because there are bound to be lots more stumbles than we’ve gotten used to the last several years.
                      A sample where his passing numbers were not great. Against a Minnesota team that at the time was hyped up pretty good but has since shown that maybe they just aren't that good. Their biggest margin of victory is their 7 point win over us.

Comment

Working...
                      X