Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: GDT: Drake Bulldogs

Default Re: Attendance & Alcohol

I thought Nelson looked better this week than he did in his first start. The Jacks were a couple of ugly turnovers away from really blowing out Drake. SDSU's D-backs and O-line need to step it up.
    This space for lease.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    I thought Nelson looked better this week than he did in his first start. The Jacks were a couple of ugly turnovers away from really blowing out Drake. SDSU's D-backs and O-line need to step it up.
    I tried to Nelson the benefit of the doubt last week but he was awful today. There pass catchers open everywhere. He missed Kunz and Hart on easy TDs, Fumbled in the red zone again, and left numerous receivers out to dry across the middle and high.

I don’t understand the criticism of the secondary. Most of the yardage came from the TE. He was dang good and our LBs couldn’t keep up with him. Not having Levi Brown or Griff available to matchup with him hurt. The #605Hogs are playing really inconsistent from snap to snap. I’m nervous for MVFC play if they don’t find some consistency.
    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Default Re: GDT: Drake Bulldogs

My questions from today.

- How is that Drake # 1 TE playing non-scholarship football?

- How is this the same SDSU OL that went toe-to-toe with Minnesota?

- How can it be so hard to have more concession workers/stations?

I can’t blame the team for being a bit flat in this stretch of games. They’re perfectly placed between the big FBS opportunity and the MVFC grind. It’s hard to stay keyed up as a fan too. Add in the QB situation and you have the potential for issues. I’m glad we’re in a place where we can complain about two games that SDSU won by a combined 63 points.
    Last edited by Southeast; 09-16-2019 at 08:34 AM.

Thought crowd was decent.

Snaps need to get better.

Looking to see them lock it in for SUU with or without Gibbs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I don’t know what to think of this Drake team. If they lost to Iowa State last year 27-24, what happened there? They go the length of field to score their only TD with passes to apparently an unstoppable TE. The head coach was a former coach at a respectable D2 program Saginaw State. Surely on paper, being non-scholarship, they were out manned, but they found ways to hang with a team with 63 scholarships for most of the first half. I think our guys had their work cut outI for them. Jimmy and Berge got some work a head of them namely stopping a TE. You can bet SUU will try to run that TE pass play. We seem to be very vulnerable. I think Goon asked a good question in he wondered why we felt like we were loosing. Also we should have PineBluffed them. We run up some scores but maybe not to day. We just cannot take this Pioneer League for granted. I think the ISU blue Coach would agree with me. I am glad the Drake Series are over. Like Sienfeld clip posted at the start of the thread “Everyone hates Drake”. Very fitting.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 09-14-2019 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    I thought Nelson looked better this week than he did in his first start.

Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
    I tried to Nelson the benefit of the doubt last week but he was awful today. There pass catchers open everywhere. He missed Kunz and Hart on easy TDs, Fumbled in the red zone again, and left numerous receivers out to dry across the middle and high.

I donít understand the criticism of the secondary. Most of the yardage came from the TE. He was dang good and our LBs couldnít keep up with him. Not having Levi Brown or Griff available to matchup with him hurt. The #605Hogs are playing really inconsistent from snap to snap. Iím nervous for MVFC play if they donít find some consistency.
    Pretty sure Seven Wilson was blitzing on one of their intermediate to long-yardage plays, so I think at least one was just a gamble that didn't pay off. Another sideline pass (on their sideline), I believe it was in 2nd half, had Backhaus in almost perfect position; if he'd have turned his head a half a second sooner, he'd have had a sure INT or PBU.

Speaking of defensive speed, Tolu's closing speed continues to impress me. I recall at least one play where he ran across formation to stop a run play in direction of Jacks sideline to hold Drake to minimal gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Nidaros View Post
    I don¬ít know what to think of this Drake team. If they lost to Iowa State last year 27-24, what happened there? They go the length of field to score their only TD with passes to apparently an unstoppable TE. The head coach was a former coach at a respectable D2 program Saginaw State. Surely on paper, being non-scholarship, they were out manned, but they found ways to hang with a team with 63 scholarships for most of the first half. I think our guys had their work cut outI for them. Jimmy and Berge got some work a head of them namely stopping a TE. You can bet SUU will try to run that TE pass play. We seem to be very vulnerable. I think Goon asked a good question in he wondered why we felt like we were loosing. Also we should have PineBluffed them. We run up some scores but maybe not to day. We just cannot take this Pioneer League for granted. I think the ISU blue Coach would agree with me. I am glad the Drake Series are over. Like Sienfeld clip posted at the start of the thread ¬ďEveryone hates Drake¬Ē. Very fitting.
    Cates is on reportedly on NFL teams' radar, and I'm not sure how many TE's they'll see who run 4.7 40s and have competed in weight throw in track in offseason. Actually sounds like he initially thought he'd be a track athlete in college, but first article I linked to indicated visit during which he stayed with Eric Saubert (currently with Raiders) helped sell Cates on Drake

Not sure about everyone else but I have a lot in my mind before and after this game. First, I was talking to some fellow Jacks fans at tailgate and, I get the fact that scheduling is a tough but how can we not get an Eastern Washington or a Jacksonville State to agree to a home and home with us in the non conference? I can't imagine it would hurt either of us. I understand we want as many home games as possible, but personally I'm tired of seeing lesser programs at DJD in the non conference. I would much rather see our Jacks have a contested game with a top 25 team at least every other year. Even if we take a loss, these cupcake games don't do us any good if we aren't good enough for the playoffs anyways. I know the mvfc schedule alone helps our schedule and playoff position, but a real pre conference schedule could maybe even boost attendance a little. When people see #3 vs #5 or #10 they say "hey that might be a game worth going to." Am I right in thinking that .. probably not. But I know the die hards would much rather see a competitive game besides a 40-10 route. Maybe I'm way off base here and everyone is fine with our schedule, but after today I'm just getting bored of this non conference slate.
    Onto the game. Idk where the team from game one is.. maybe it's just as simple as getting Gibbs back, and I hope that's all it is. Or maybe it's the fact that we are overlooking these "cupcake" teams and not getting hyped up for them, but goodness our offense looks stale. Sorry, I'll get off my soap box. Glad the Jacks are 2-1, in a good position with one game to go before the conference games start. I hope Gibbs is recovering and back soon! On a high note, Cade Johnson is really good and fun to watch. Go Jacks!

Quote Originally Posted by Southeast View Post
    My questions from today.

- How can it be so hard to have more concession workers/stations?
    I was a bit surprised to see a couple of the concession lanes closed on east side when we walked in, but the three Mechanical Engineering students who were working the ice cream concession stand deserve kudos for their customer service. It can't be easy slinging all that delicious ice cream and not being able to enjoy it on a hot day; nevertheless they gave exemplary customer service.