Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tailgating Apathy

Originally posted by SDSU82 View Post
    Yet, Matt Zimmer, as always searching for something to deride SDSU and it's fans about, posts at game time that it is not raining (at that moment), that we "only" have over 10,000 fans in the seats, and that it is shameful. What an ass.
    I wasn't going to mention it, but since you did... I completely agree. It's not like the stadium is in Sioux Falls where fans can just wait until 15 minutes before the game to see how the weather is before deciding to come to the game. Based on where we are geographically, most of our fans plan to come to the game days ahead of time and the weather forecast is a major deciding factor. As you said, rain was forecast all week and it definitely played into people's decisions on whether or not to come to the game. The "and it's not raining" jab was just plain stupid.

Comment

I wonder what attendance was at the Augustana game, which was held in the afternoon? I didn't see that figure published in the Argus Leader. I didn't see any media members criticize the attendance for that game, so it must of been HUGE.
      Also, the crowd at the SDSU-LIU game couldn't even fit into Dakota Dome, now or in the future. When renovations at the Dome are complete, it will only seat 9,000. It seats about half of that now.
      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
        For one thing, I happen to know that for the last several years, the group in question (and my group) would set up a couple hours early with no issue. Now, this season, it's suddenly an issue. And there's a lot of rules that aren't enforced on gameday. Such as the "no hard liquor", no open flames/charcoal grills, no in-the-ground steaks, and absolutely no fun allowed. Well, I guess that last part is enforced.

Point being, if UPD showed up to harass those guys for something they (and I) have been doing for years with no issue, that sucks. Out of all the reasons to crack down on people tailgating, showing up early to set up shouldn't be one of them. Maybe those guys were being loud and obnoxious AND were set up early. In which case, maybe UPD wasn't in the wrong.

But as I mentioned in the past, I've seen enough of them acting like power hungry assholes on an ego trip in the past decade to give the group in question the benefit of the doubt. Go read all of the other FCS peers (USD, NDSU, Montana, etc.) forums regarding their gameday, and you'll see very few mentions about their police force in the parking lot. It's a unique situation we have here. And I refuse to believe our fans are that much more drunk and disruptive than any of the other fan bases mentioned. Do you think that NDSU had mandatory bathroom breaks for all attendees this past Saturday in Fargo in light of a drunk woman's golden shower going viral last week? Probably not.
        "There I was breaking the rules like I have for years. Then the power hungry UPD showed up and ruined my fun."

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Shocking that SDSU fans continue to be sensitive to anything negative Zim says.
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

For one thing, I happen to know that for the last several years, the group in question (and my group) would set up a couple hours early with no issue. Now, this season, it's suddenly an issue. And there's a lot of rules that aren't enforced on gameday. Such as the "no hard liquor", no open flames/charcoal grills, no in-the-ground steaks, and absolutely no fun allowed. Well, I guess that last part is enforced.

Point being, if UPD showed up to harass those guys for something they (and I) have been doing for years with no issue, that sucks. Out of all the reasons to crack down on people tailgating, showing up early to set up shouldn't be one of them. Maybe those guys were being loud and obnoxious AND were set up early. In which case, maybe UPD wasn't in the wrong.

But as I mentioned in the past, I've seen enough of them acting like power hungry assholes on an ego trip in the past decade to give the group in question the benefit of the doubt. Go read all of the other FCS peers (USD, NDSU, Montana, etc.) forums regarding their gameday, and you'll see very few mentions about their police force in the parking lot. It's a unique situation we have here. And I refuse to believe our fans are that much more drunk and disruptive than any of the other fan bases mentioned. Do you think that NDSU had mandatory bathroom breaks for all attendees this past Saturday in Fargo in light of a drunk woman's golden shower going viral last week? Probably not.
            I believe a good part of the reason for stricter policies goes back to the Hobo Day situation from a few years back. Have any of these other schools had students standing on top of porta-pots throwing full beer cans into the crowd ? I was in the vicinity that day and it was not a pretty picture with people running to get away and parents trying to shield their kids. I think the administration realized what kind of financial liability would have been caused if one of those cans had hit someone in the head and caused a severe injury or even a fatality. Plus the negative publicity it would have caused for SDSU. I realize nothing like that has happened since, and hopefully won't happen again in the future. I agree that the UPD has been over-zealous in enforcing some policies, but I also can appreciate the mindset of the administration when setting alcohol-related policies.
            Last edited by bigticket1; 09-09-2019, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
              I try to ignore it, but it wears on a guy...

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                Shocking that you would defend him.....Once again.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                  I believe a good part of the reason for stricter policies goes back to the Hobo Day situation from a few years back. Have any of these other schools had students standing on top of porta-pots throwing full beer cans into the crowd ? I was in the vicinity that day and it was not a pretty picture with people running to get away and parents trying to shield their kids. I think the administration realized what kind of financial liability would have been caused if one of those cans had hit someone in the head and caused a severe injury or even a fatality. Plus the negative publicity it would have caused for SDSU. I realize nothing like that has happened since, and hopefully won't happen again in the future. I agree that the UPD has been over-zealous in enforcing some policies, but I also can appreciate the mindset of the administration when setting alcohol-related policies.
                  I can also recall since I was within the target zone of the full cans of beer. I like a good time, but occasionally a moment of common sense leaves those young drunks being suffocated by those in charge. If anyone would like to be an upclose participant, there is likely some hurlers waiting to give you an exhibit as you are trapped in the chaos.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                    Fully agree. We can't have another 2014 incident. There were good reasons for wanting to supress some of that in the future. My personal opinion is that if you want to do away with those types of incidents in the future, they need to do away with the Backyard. Creating an epicenter for tailgating is what attracted all the students to that spot. If the backyard were paved over and became just another tailgate lot, thereby encouraging people to spread out more, I think you'd see more active tailgating in other lots and less chance for a party to get out of hand. Just my opnion, but I think just having standard tailgating lots would have avoided that incident in 2014. Students want to go to where the party already exists, and if there isn't a single "gathering point", I think you'd cut down on some of the "riot" potential. Probably not a popular opinion, but I could do without the Backyard pretty easily.

Comment

Discuss posts, not posters.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Fully agree. We can't have another 2014 incident. There were good reasons for wanting to supress some of that in the future. My personal opinion is that if you want to do away with those types of incidents in the future, they need to do away with the Backyard. Creating an epicenter for tailgating is what attracted all the students to that spot. If the backyard were paved over and became just another tailgate lot, thereby encouraging people to spread out more, I think you'd see more active tailgating in other lots and less chance for a party to get out of hand. Just my opnion, but I think just having standard tailgating lots would have avoided that incident in 2014. Students want to go to where the party already exists, and if there isn't a single "gathering point", I think you'd cut down on some of the "riot" potential. Probably not a popular opinion, but I could do without the Backyard pretty easily.
                        Interesting you used the word "riot". That word has some deep meaning at SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                          Interesting you used the word "riot". That word has some deep meaning at SDSU.
                          I'm aware. Maybe we're just a very social, riot happy bunch of folks? Nothing like people coming together with other people to push over a news van that was in the way or go storm the local walmart. You can go anywhere from here, and we tend to do just that, in rather large groups sometimes...

Comment

I could do without the Backyard easily also. It would save me thousands of dollars and free up six or seven weekends every fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think paving the backyard area would be great and it could be better utilized. There's a ton of wasted space back there. Speaking of wasted space, it would be great if the softball field wasn't there so that space could be utilized for tailgating as well. While we're at it, turn the parking lot behind the backyard into RV parking. Boom. Tailgating solved. Of course this is all assuming SDSU actually wants tailgating to thrive. I feel like I should apply to be the czar of tailgating.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                                I feel like I should apply to be the czar of tailgating.
                                you know I still hold the crown right?

Comment

Working...
                                X