• Show
Clear All

Re: Tailgating Apathy

Originally posted by slosho View Post
    you know I still hold the crown right?

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
      "There I was breaking the rules like I have for years. Then the power hungry UPD showed up and ruined my fun."

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
      I get it. We see this said a lot, but I think the bigger issue has more to do with the spirit of the law vs the letter of the law. Is it necessary for UPD to harass people because they set up a little early when they’ve been doing it for years? Is it necessary to be so strict on all the rules when the point (at least everywhere else I’ve ever tailgated) of a police presence is to keep things under control and not allowing a Hobo Day incident? It gives the feel that UPD is there to catch you doing something wrong, not to provide a presence that keeps things from getting out of hand.

The part that is so frustrating to many where the incidents take place is the fact that we can’t find a middle ground. If it’s a group of adults and kids playing bags and having fun, why is it so necessary to check IDs? If there’s a group of young folks yelling and causing a scene, that’s a good time to check some people for being out of hand. When you decide you need to check every, single, person, or decide that you need to check a certain tailgate over multiple times, you give the impression your out to get people. I don’t understand why that’s a middle ground that can’t be reached, or why there will be such push back to such a thing? Cause I’m certain I will get the (well you can’t allow under age drinking, just follow the rules, etc) but I don’t see the issue of just making sure it doesn’t get out of control. I’ve done that before as security for events, and bars, it’s not difficult. And let me be clear, I haven’t had an issue in the library lot, but it seems to be a recurring issue in the Backyard area (if I’m not mistaken), which is the WORST place to have this, that’s where tailgating is supposed to be the best. It’s where you’re charging people good money to have a spot for themselves.

TL/DR

Why can’t UPD worry about people who cause problems instead of searching for reasons to enforce the rules so strictly?
      Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
        you know I still hold the crown right?
        All I know are the lyrics to sturgill Simpson you can have the crown. Pretty solid song. Which in the song it's not the crown you want to have.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
          I get it. We see this said a lot, but I think the bigger issue has more to do with the spirit of the law vs the letter of the law. Is it necessary for UPD to harass people because they set up a little early when they’ve been doing it for years? Is it necessary to be so strict on all the rules when the point (at least everywhere else I’ve ever tailgated) of a police presence is to keep things under control and not allowing a Hobo Day incident? It gives the feel that UPD is there to catch you doing something wrong, not to provide a presence that keeps things from getting out of hand.

The part that is so frustrating to many where the incidents take place is the fact that we can’t find a middle ground. If it’s a group of adults and kids playing bags and having fun, why is it so necessary to check IDs? If there’s a group of young folks yelling and causing a scene, that’s a good time to check some people for being out of hand. When you decide you need to check every, single, person, or decide that you need to check a certain tailgate over multiple times, you give the impression your out to get people. I don’t understand why that’s a middle ground that can’t be reached, or why there will be such push back to such a thing? Cause I’m certain I will get the (well you can’t allow under age drinking, just follow the rules, etc) but I don’t see the issue of just making sure it doesn’t get out of control. I’ve done that before as security for events, and bars, it’s not difficult. And let me be clear, I haven’t had an issue in the library lot, but it seems to be a recurring issue in the Backyard area (if I’m not mistaken), which is the WORST place to have this, that’s where tailgating is supposed to be the best. It’s where you’re charging people good money to have a spot for themselves.

TL/DR

Why can’t UPD worry about people who cause problems instead of searching for reasons to enforce the rules so strictly?
          It's going to be difficult to find common ground when you're referring to UPD as serial harassers who all accost tailgaters like one officer allegedly did a teen several years ago.

Have you ever been tasked with checking IDs at an event or even a store that sells liquor and tobacco?

If not, you'll likely find that the minute you try to be selective, you have someone griping about "why are you checking my ID when you never checked theirs?"

As for UPD glaring at people making small talk/jokes; another thing you'll find is that distracting security is a tactic some use to try to allow friends to sneak in items, not pay an entry fee, etc. Not only that, but if you make small talk, you'll have people waiting in line who complain about having to wait longer because you chose to chat with some social butterfly earlier in line.

You want to tailgate, then tailgate. Have your ID ready, and just spend the brief time it takes to show the ID to interact with UPD and then resume tailgating.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
            It's going to be difficult to find common ground when you're referring to UPD as serial harassers who all accost tailgaters like one officer allegedly did a teen several years ago.

Have you ever been tasked with checking IDs at an event or even a store that sells liquor and tobacco?

If not, you'll likely find that the minute you try to be selective, you have someone griping about "why are you checking my ID when you never checked theirs?"

As for UPD glaring at people making small talk/jokes; another thing you'll find is that distracting security is a tactic some use to try to allow friends to sneak in items, not pay an entry fee, etc. Not only that, but if you make small talk, you'll have people waiting in line who complain about having to wait longer because you chose to chat with some social butterfly earlier in line.

You want to tailgate, then tailgate. Have your ID ready, and just spend the brief time it takes to show the ID to interact with UPD and then resume tailgating.
            I mean isn't the argument against that is it's only actually like this at SDSU? Every other university seems to be able to do a tailgate way better than us without any of the problems we have. I've been to tailgates at similar sized institutions, and tailgates at much larger institutions, and none of them have the BS that we put up with.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I guess I feel like we're negotiating against ourselves as I don't feel like UPD and the University are seeking common ground. If they are, its news to me. I'll put up with it but I don't plan to make their lives easier just to be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by BrerRabbit View Post
                I guess I feel like we're negotiating against ourselves as I don't feel like UPD and the University are seeking common ground. If they are, its news to me. I'll put up with it but I don't plan to make their lives easier just to be nice.
                How about just be nice regardless of whether or not it makes anyone's life easier. I'd be hard pressed to be cordial if at every turn and encounter people were throwing disparaging remarks my way for doing my job. It's a two way street I realize but I think a lot could be done by everyone to come to a resolution. Bad eggs on both sides have been the root of the animosity I'd guess.

Comment

Is Heaton still in charge of UPD or have there been any changes to how it is staffed? Are they hired trained police officers, or are they student staff for most of it?
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Maybe UPD hires out from the Minnehaha sheriffs department. Had jury duty for August and I would guess for good reasons they are not the most pleasant to talk too. Not even simple pleasantries, hello or Hi were returned with except for a glare. I can understand how at the security check point why that's needed to some degree and I am sure they deal with a lot of crap working in a court house, but even responding to a hello shouldn't be difficult to muster. However Erv the bailiff was great. Well for the most part all the bailiffs were the best part of the experience. All jury duty did was solidify my disdain, maybe not the right word, but law and the legal process to be nauseating. good for those of you who could make a profession out of that. My Masters program I had administrative law class last semester and was almost as bad as my government budgeting class. Talk about dry....well sorry for the thread drift.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                      How about just be nice regardless of whether or not it makes anyone's life easier. I'd be hard pressed to be cordial if at every turn and encounter people were throwing disparaging remarks my way for doing my job. It's a two way street I realize but I think a lot could be done by everyone to come to a resolution. Bad eggs on both sides have been the root of the animosity I'd guess.
                      I must be missing your point or simply not sharing your perspective but either way, I'm probably not going to go out of my way to make their lives easier. I don't go out of my way to make it harder either. We keep to ourselves, don't bother anyone, have our own porta potty, pick up our spot and pay the bill. I feel like "doing their job" should be confined to keeping the peace. They often seem to think it means harassment, in my experience. I'm probably not going to just humbly accept that kind of treatment.

Comment

I know this will sound sarcastic, but I really think some should start "Jacks for improved tailgating". Gather together those paying for spots and take your concerns to Sell (first). He seems to be open to listening to fans and if you gather as a group, I think those above Sell (UPD captain, president, etc.) might take it more seriously.

I agree with the 'just follow the rules' mentality. However, those rules need to be sensible and not maliciously enforced.
                        Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                        -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post
                          I know this will sound sarcastic, but I really think some should start "Jacks for improved tailgating". Gather together those paying for spots and take your concerns to Sell (first). He seems to be open to listening to fans and if you gather as a group, I think those above Sell (UPD captain, president, etc.) might take it more seriously.

I agree with the 'just follow the rules' mentality. However, those rules need to be sensible and not maliciously enforced.
                          Sell knows about fans grievances with tailgating and alcohol. These are things I'm sure get brought up at meeting with the President and with others. At the end of the day, he can only do so much since he is only the AD.
                          Rollin' in my 5.0
                          With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                          Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                            I mean isn't the argument against that is it's only actually like this at SDSU? Every other university seems to be able to do a tailgate way better than us without any of the problems we have. I've been to tailgates at similar sized institutions, and tailgates at much larger institutions, and none of them have the BS that we put up with.
                            Yes, I understand that's the argument. However, you can find multiple reports of police activity at other tailgating events/college football games. It's not just an SDSU problem.

I've had no issues with either tailgaters or UPD at any of the games I've attended, so I think a decent portion of this is folks looking for opportunities to criticize an entity they have considerable animosity for. Having said that, the environment could undoubtedly be improved; you're just not going to get there with the biased rhetoric and vitriol being shared by some of the posts on this forum.

Comment

Working...
                            X