Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: LIU Sharks

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    What you need to do to increase attendance, in addition to putting the team on the field that people want to watch and upgrading the game day experience, is just absolutely blanketing Sioux Falls with promotional advertising. Ideally, you wouldn't be able to turn around (or throw a dead Viking/Coyote) without seeing an SDSU Athletics ad.

This is however rather expensive (as are putting successful teams on the field and upgrading the game day experience).
    This is huge IMO. How many non SDSU fans know who, where, and when the Jacks are playing? Or their ranking? They need Sufu blanketed so well that everyone know the Jacks are playing. Hey
    Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    Thoughts:

The O line was clearly not prepared for the stunts and speed of the LIU d line, and they really didn't adjust well. While that's concerning, I'm sure it'll be addressed.

I'm curious how much Nelson ran with 1s in practice this week. Some of the reports that came out indicated that Gibbs was still taking reps while they were deciding if he could play. If Nelson didn't get a full week of practice with 1s as the main guy, that could explain a lot of the mistakes and shakiness last night.

Regardless of how much he practiced, Nelson isn't a D1 QB. No way around that. There's a reason Gibbs beat out a guy that's been in the system three years as a backup. If Nelson starts next week, I'd like to see him have a better game and really "lead". If we're using him going into the conference season, we're in bad shape.

I tire of the comments about the weather, the ticket prices, the opponent, etc. Fact is, those are just excuses that are trying to justify an underwhelming level of fan support. If 27 dollar tickets are too expensive to watch a top 5 team, I don't know what to tell you. I can't go to the movies for less than 12 bucks a ticket to watch a crappy Disney remake. As stated above, a good burger and beer will end up costing me 25 bucks easily.

Our fan support is a cultural problem with South Dakota. People here don't care about college football. They just dont. And if they do, they're more likely to care about Iowa and Nebraska. If this problem is going to be fixed, it's going to take a lot more than tweaking ticket prices.

Which brings me to my next question. Did anybody see what happened with UPD and the group tailgating in the library lot? Zimmer retweeted about it, but apparently a group got harassed by UPD for some reason several hours before game time. Anyone have any insight there?

Tailgating is killing the game day atmosphere here. I don't know the specifics of that scenario yesterday, but I've seen enough of UPD at games over the years acting like assholes to assume they were probably being assholes.
    If I were that group, I'd be writing a letter to Barry Dunn explaining how upsetting it is to be treated that way and threaten to pull financial support. Our current state of tailgating is a direct result of Dunn's policies for game day. While we all know the incident that sparked this in 2014, tailgating in 2019 is reflective of Barry Dunn's goals for game day at state. As I've stated before, I don't think Barry wants to see tailgating grow. And it's going to be damned hard to grow the fan base when the centerpiece of pregame activities is shrinking.
    Agree on all counts. I don’t think even $15 tickets do much to help get people to the game, it’s just an easy excuse. Ndsu charges $45/ticket for bad end zone seats and $50+ for sideline seats. For every game outside of Misery St. So they’re charging double the $27 essentially we can get into the game for in much better seats (I’ve had end zone seats in there, you watch 1/2 the game on the board). I was under the impression our fans are as successful as ndsu fans in life so I don’t know how they can afford tickets to their games then. It could be that they just want to go to the game more. I also think there’s a severe mental resistance to buying season tickets for people. They want cheap walk up tickets because that’s how they’ve always done it and committing to the majority of games is apparently scary, or something.

On UPD, I wasn’t at the incident described, I just saw it on Twitter. But when I got wristbands for our lot and tried to joke with the UPD officer there the dude just glared at me and literally didn’t respond. They really are not a positive thing for the University in any way. Instead of being there in case something happens they are there to be enforcers and they enjoy it IMO. They had a freaking drug dog walking around by Briggs. I mean, are you kidding me? Nothing like pulling into the lot and being greeted by a cop in a bulletproof vest with a K9. I sure wanna party there SMH. There is a good portion of them who feel they are there to show how badass they are IMO instead of to be there to assist and serve. It’s pretty gross. The funny thing is the UPD guys I run into in the stadium are great, at least on the east side.
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
      This is the best our D-line has ever looked since I've followed the Jacks, and by a long ways too. Our front 4 is consistently getting penetration into the backfield and disrupting the play, and it is coming from a plethora of different guys in a rotation that's going at least 8 deep.

I know it's only 2 games, but it's hard not to be excited about these guys going forward.
      We will wear down a lot of teams offenses with our defense with the depth and an onsalaught that keeps coming, the LIU coach alluded to how fast our defense was , should be a great season if we can keep everyone healthy

Comment

Two related points:
        * There's nothing to be gained by criticizing fellow fans, at least not until the stadium starts filling up on a regular basis and open seats become scarce. Come to games and have fun. Stand, jump around, sit, nap, yell, dance, chat with friends or stare at your phone. Do whatever you want. Just enjoy the experience, and bring friends next time.
        * I agree that tailgating rules need to be loosened up. Pregame tailgating at the state's largest university should be enthusiastically encouraged and accommodated by SDSU. Pregame festivities should be an attraction for fans all over the state and region.
        This space for lease.

Comment

All these people complaining that tickets are too expensive better show up in groves next week. If people still don’t show up next week there probably won’t be many more games with that cheap of tickets because why have cheap tickets and still only get 10,000 people in the stands

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina010 View Post
            All these people complaining that tickets are too expensive better show up in groves next week. If people still don’t show up next week there probably won’t be many more games with that cheap of tickets because why have cheap tickets and still only get 10,000 people in the stands
            Well I work next week so that's not going to happen. Taking a family of 5. that's 5 tickets snacks because it's hard to make kids sit through a 3 hour game with out snacks. 10 bucks for parking because hauling a 2 year old from the free lots isnt fun ao try to park reasonably close. Half a tank of gas to get to Brookings and back to sf. It adds up. Remember its discretionary income that sdsu is trying to get people to use. When people only have so many options to use their discretionary funds on and it's an issue for enough people plus like yesterday cool and rainy and it's on tv. I doubt attendance would be much better if any if the game isnt on tv.

The kid zone area is ok but a couple bouncy houses is nice but it could be so much more. The summit fan fest is good example. Why not have a punt pass and kick stations set up on the field turf. I get not wanting to ruin the field but dont have food or drinks on it. Little things would make such a better experience for families. Its tricky for us with a 22 month old who needs naps. If it was only our older kids would probably spend a lot more time before the game.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina010 View Post
              Some of the people mentioning ticket prices are season ticket holders who've attended every home game including playoffs. As for act of mentioning prices discouraging other fans from attending, I do not mention concerns that price may depress attendance "in public," and I have bought and offered to buy tickets for friends and co-workers because I think they'd enjoy game.

However, using season ticket holders who voluntarily make a minimum of several hundred dollar Jackrabbit Club donation when buying tickets as the metric for reasonable ticket prices is risky if the goal is to increase attendance. I've admitted multiple times that i'll continue to pay for the tickets, and I do not believe that making that commitment negates ability to propose likely explanations for reduced attendance.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                I am reposting my own post again since I was impressed with the coaches comments. He mentions that SDSU was once D2 and now has great facilities and a top notch FCS program. He said he had never since that much speed on defense. Also he casually mentions that some of the administrators from LIU were along on the trip to observe how it is done here in the middle of no where. Gee, despite a bullheaded president and a corrupt UPD, we must be doing something right,
                You cant give Dunn any credit what so ever. He inherited it. He wants us to be like a small boringTexas school for heaven saks. Something needs to change with upd walking around inspecting tailgating sites looking for violations its BS. And dogs really my 4 yr old climbed me like a tree when she saw him walking toward us. The whole tailgating doesn’t open till 5 hrs prior is dumb why couldn’t be have been there earlier we pay for the damn spots let us use em.
                Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                  On UPD, I wasn’t at the incident described, I just saw it on Twitter. But when I got wristbands for our lot and tried to joke with the UPD officer there the dude just glared at me and literally didn’t respond. They really are not a positive thing for the University in any way. Instead of being there in case something happens they are there to be enforcers and they enjoy it IMO. They had a freaking drug dog walking around by Briggs. I mean, are you kidding me? Nothing like pulling into the lot and being greeted by a cop in a bulletproof vest with a K9. I sure wanna party there SMH. There is a good portion of them who feel they are there to show how badass they are IMO instead of to be there to assist and serve. It’s pretty gross. The funny thing is the UPD guys I run into in the stadium are great, at least on the east side.
                  No joke, the one and only tailgate I went to last year I got stopped and carded three different times by UPD after appropriately getting my wristband and stamp upon entry into the tailgate with their reasoning being that they weren't the ones that carded me specifically. A serious bunch of bull****, really ruined the fun atmosphere. All you are doing is encouraging people to do is either come hammered to the game from downtown or a party, or go downtown or to a party and not make it to the game at all.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
                    No joke, the one and only tailgate I went to last year I got stopped and carded three different times by UPD after appropriately getting my wristband and stamp upon entry into the tailgate with their reasoning being that they weren't the ones that carded me specifically. A serious bunch of bull****, really ruined the fun atmosphere. All you are doing is encouraging people to do is either come hammered to the game from downtown or a party, or go downtown or to a party and not make it to the game at all.
                    https://twitter.com/argusleader/stat...375159809?s=21

So this is who we have policing our tailgates. With K-9 units. Which is nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      Well I work next week so that's not going to happen. Taking a family of 5. that's 5 tickets snacks because it's hard to make kids sit through a 3 hour game with out snacks. 10 bucks for parking because hauling a 2 year old from the free lots isnt fun ao try to park reasonably close. Half a tank of gas to get to Brookings and back to sf. It adds up. Remember its discretionary income that sdsu is trying to get people to use. When people only have so many options to use their discretionary funds on and it's an issue for enough people plus like yesterday cool and rainy and it's on tv. I doubt attendance would be much better if any if the game isnt on tv.

The kid zone area is ok but a couple bouncy houses is nice but it could be so much more. The summit fan fest is good example. Why not have a punt pass and kick stations set up on the field turf. I get not wanting to ruin the field but dont have food or drinks on it. Little things would make such a better experience for families. Its tricky for us with a 22 month old who needs naps. If it was only our older kids would probably spend a lot more time before the game.
                      I feel like you’ve complained about this stuff before....

Comment

https://twitter.com/argusleader/stat...375159809?s=21

Aren’t they lovely? UPD has been that way since I was in school. Not sure if it’s changed but it was mostly young kids back then. Seemed most were on a power trip.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                          I feel like you’ve complained about this stuff before....
                          Sorry dont read it then. There has been a lot of discussion that has been rehashed about tailgating and ups etc. I will check with you if I should post any of my thoughts or experiences. Carry on.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

https://twitter.com/argusleader/status/1007035106375159809?s=21

Hell, this brings up a memory from my sophomore year of school. Me and a few of my other friends were walking form Brown Hall to the Union to grab some supper during the dead of winter, aka, everything not sidewalk was covered in 18+ inches of snow. Anyways, 2 UPD officers decided to drive down the sidewalk that goes from the Union to the Jackrabbit Village and eventually Brown Hall during the supper rush hour when we were naturally walking on the sidewalk. They turned on their cherries and asked us for identification and threatened to arrest one of my buddies, all because we didn't move out of their way promptly enough for their liking (hint: we had nowhere to go), I guess we were being disrespectful. 9 years later and nothing has changed.

Don't get me started on how bad UPD botched those rapes my freshman year.

Comment

Whenever you have 10,000 plus people at a venue you better have bomb sniffing dogs. You also need to have officers with high powered rifles to take out any potential shooters or snipers. It is a part of any major event anymore and if it isn't, you are playing with fire. Those dogs walking around serve a much higher purpose than scaring your children or ruining your partying.

Having worked security for the CWS, the Elite Eight, major concerts Creighton games, etc I find it kind of funny how simply everyone disregards all of the liabilities the University is at risk of if a situation goes wrong. One mismanaged incident involving alcohol, like an elderly person being knock down a flight of stairs can wipe out years of revenue.

I am sure UPD can be jerks, they were when I was there but try being in their shoes. They are given guidelines to follow whether they agree with them or not. Compound that with a few hundred drunks that don't feel they have to follow any of the policies they are asked to enforce. I've been there over and over, not a fun place to be in.

I drink beer at events and am personally in favor of it, but it is much more than a stubborn president.

Comment

Seems like the discussion has gone slightly astray of the Long Island U. game.

I suggest that it would be more appropriate to start a dedicated thread to UPD issues in "SDSU News and Comment" if further discussion is desired.
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X