Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: LIU Sharks

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
    Whenever you have 10,000 plus people at a venue you better have bomb sniffing dogs. You also need to have officers with high powered rifles to take out any potential shooters or snipers. It is a part of any major event anymore and if it isn't, you are playing with fire. Those dogs walking around serve a much higher purpose than scaring your children or ruining your partying.

Having worked security for the CWS, the Elite Eight, major concerts Creighton games, etc I find it kind of funny how simply everyone disregards all of the liabilities the University is at risk of if a situation goes wrong. One mismanaged incident involving alcohol, like an elderly person being knock down a flight of stairs can wipe out years of revenue.

I am sure UPD can be jerks, they were when I was there but try being in their shoes. They are given guidelines to follow whether they agree with them or not. Compound that with a few hundred drunks that don't feel they have to follow any of the policies they are asked to enforce. I've been there over and over, not a fun place to be in.

I drink beer at events and am personally in favor of it, but it is much more than a stubborn president.
    I get what you are saying and I can't argue it. However, as soon as you allow one alcoholic drink to be allowed, the genie is out of the bottle. With that said, I don't condone obnoxious behavior, I've done it, not proud. However, I would rather take my chances with a mass shooting/terrorist attack. Walking around game day with groups of "heavily armed swat team" looking officers really makes you feel like you are in internment camp and any misstep might get you drug away never to be seen again. JMO. Sorry to extend, didn't know how to reply otherwise.

Edit: The longest we have ever tailgated has been maybe a couple hours.
    Last edited by 98Jackfarmer; 09-08-2019, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Well stated Nebraska Jack. What is purpose of coming to stadium? I believe it is watch football game, but some other things get in the way.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        Seems like the discussion has gone slightly astray of the Long Island U. game.

I suggest that it would be more appropriate to start a dedicated thread to UPD issues in "SDSU News and Comment" if further discussion is desired.
        Any chance the posts mentioning UPD and not focusing at all on the game could be moved to another thread?

The one post borders on inflammatory in that it suggests the officer involved in the altercation with the teen is involved in crowd control and seems oblivious to the fact that if UPD overgeneralized in a similar manner (e.g., stated that all tailgaters are like the students who misbehaved on Hobo Day a few years ago) there'd be a forum meltdown. Regardless, hopefully anyone interacting with the powers that be are more diplomatic and seek genuine compromise (recognizing that compromise will almost inveitably require them to experience some "inconvenience").

Unless the ever-connected podcasters and insiders on here are privy to privileged information regarding the presence of the "drug dog" and "SWAT team," it might be worth considering that law enforcement might have received a report/tip that prompted such a response. Seems a few of our fellow posters have never engaged in thankless work/volunteering. Maybe a police ride-a-long would be enlightening to those folks.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
          However, I would rather take my chances with a mass shooting/terrorist attack.
          Now this is a quote...

Comment

I don't really see what all the fuss is about with UPD. I get they've had their shortcomings over the years but we feel zero UPD presence when I'm tailgating. We tailgate near where this 'incident' happened on Saturday, in the Briggs Library parking lot. This is year 4 or 5 of the DJD stadium and our group has been asked to present ID one time, ONCE. And that was the first year of tailgating there. We've only went and gotten our wristbands 1 time and that was also 3-4 years ago. So, I'm in the camp that we have bigger problems than UPD as to why a majority don't tailgate or come to the game. I feel it is just an easy excuse for people to use as to why they don't come. We just don't have an engaged enough fanbase to show up to games that aren't USD or NDSU. We can't expect UPD to just look the other way while underage drinkers roam outside the stadium, no matter who our president is.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
              Now this is a quote...
              Use it however you want. I have no problem with the "cops" there. But do they really need to dress like its a violent rally?

Comment

Yes let’s talk about the game. I wonder what LIU administrators thought about UPD? I hope the UPD presence didn’t offend them. It’s not every day that people from New York look to South Dakota for advice. It is usually the other way around. For once we are doing something right
                I came to watch game and got my money-worth. On to next week.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                  Any chance the posts mentioning UPD and not focusing at all on the game could be moved to another thread?
                  I looked at it but I think it's too intertwined with other related and not-so-related topics so as to make it a confusing mess if I tried to move a bunch of posts without doing more editing and copy/pasting than I feel like doing. I just thought that there would be people who would appreciate it if the GDT's focused on the game itself. Plenty of room here to talk about the other things.

Carry on.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    Yes let’s talk about the game. I wonder what LIU administrators thought about UPD? I hope the UPD presence didn’t offend them. It’s not every day that people from New York look to South Dakota for advice. It is usually the other way around. For once we are doing something right
                    I came to watch game and got my money-worth. On to next week.
                    I'm almost certain the one administrator I saw on their sideline was their AD (Dr. Martinov), if you wanted to ask via email.

Comment

• Re: GDT: LIU Sharks

Now this is a quote...
                      Get over it. This country is policed to death over the acts of very, very, very, very, very few individuals. I agree with the quote, I like my freedom more than the police state you seem to enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                        I looked at it but I think it's too intertwined with other related and not-so-related topics so as to make it a confusing mess if I tried to move a bunch of posts without doing more editing and copy/pasting than I feel like doing. I just thought that there would be people who would appreciate it if the GDT's focused on the game itself. Plenty of room here to talk about the other things.

Carry on.
                        No worries. "LIUPD" just might've been a punnier forum title, as it all "loops" back to UPD for some.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                          I'm almost certain the one administrator I saw on their sideline was their AD (Dr. Martinov), if you wanted to ask via email.
                          Thanks but I suspect they don’t do much tailgating on Long Island. It has to tough to draw even 10k when they compete against all the NFL and MLB franchises. Here we only have the Viks and Twins and we lose fans because of the Viks playing at home.

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post
                            Get over it. This country is policed to death over the acts of very, very, very, very, very few individuals. I agree with the quote, I like my freedom more than the police state you seem to enjoy.
                            Wow. This thread is officially off the rails.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              Thanks but I suspect they don’t do much tailgating on Long Island. It has to tough to draw even 10k when they compete against all the NFL and MLB franchises. Here we only have the Viks and Twins and we lose fans because of the Viks playing at home.
                              Funny you should mention that. Here's an example of how LIU makes an event "bigger than tailgating." They even include multiple cities.

Not saying the Jacks have to do this every game, but there's an SDSU ice cream truck that participates in food truck events here in Sioux Falls during the summer which could "make the pre-game rounds" across campus during gamedays (and in towns like Sioux Falls, Dell Rapids, Harrisburg, etc.) leading up to games to generate interest. Live music, food trucks, and a carnival, at least during "warmer" weather, could also help casual fans kill time before the gates open.

Somewhat related side note: their stadium appears to have about 1/5 the capacity of the Jacks'. They do have a Daktronics scoreboard though

Comment

Wow. This thread is officially off the rails.
                                One instance where we agree.

Here's an idea -- if you're one of the "Splitting Hares" folks (as I thought you were), how about coordinating with UPD to devote a portion of your bye week podcast to discussing a ride-a-long you did to enlighten listeners about what the "rent-a-cops" have to deal with during their shifts. You might find that one or two of them are Jacks fans who enjoy Jackrabbit athletics too.

Obviously, it won't directly cover a crowd control experience you could observe, but it might help humanize a segment of the university.

Full disclosure: I'm approaching this debate as a person who did ride-a-longs as a part of undergrad. coursework and was an instructor of undergrads at SDSU who experienced how some like to question authority in an attempt to gain favor with/attention of peers.

Comment

Working...
                                X