Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 169

Thread: 2019 USD Defense

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fargo
    Posts
    1,647

    Default Re: 2019 USD Defense

    Quote Originally Posted by goon View Post
    My guess Oklahoma rests hurt and others most of the game. Second half for sure.
    Doubtful. Gotta boost them stats for the Heisman race.
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    SF SD
    Posts
    8,739

    Default Re: 2019 USD Defense

    Quote Originally Posted by thumper_76 View Post
    Doubtful. Gotta boost them stats for the Heisman race.
    Well after the usd game he will probably have plenty of stat boosting plays to help his chances.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done. Arnold Palmer

    Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,512

    Default Re: 2019 USD Defense

    Somewhere out there, Yote53 is talking himself into a Coyote upset win.

    (This is the smack thread, right?)

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Arlington SD
    Posts
    12,935

    Default Re: 2019 USD Defense

    Quote Originally Posted by da_coach View Post
    Somewhere out there, Yote53 is talking himself into a Coyote upset win.

    (This is the smack thread, right?)
    if Stig was coaching USD, they would hit field expecting to win the football game, just like we did at Minnesota. Fancy pants Nielsen will no doubt be wearing a white shirt and red tie, maybe a bowtie.

  5. #15

    Default Re: 2019 USD Defense

    I just think it's funny how much they've tried to change the narrative down there this off-season. When he first got hired, it was, "He knows how to turn programs around and turn then into winners". Their 2017 season seemed to confirm that. Then last year happened, and all off-season, Jay Elsen and others have been pushing the narrative that when Bob rebuilt those other programs, there were up and down seasons before he had them running at a high level. That's a load of crap. In Bob Nielsen's 10 seasons at Duluth, he won fewer than 9 games three times, and two of those seasons were 7 and 8 win seasons. His first year in his first stint, he won 3 games. Otherwise, they pretty much consistently won 10+ games the majority of his time there. Same thing happened at Wartburg and Eau Claire. Not exactly up and down. But, that's the narrative this season from the media after an underwhelming year 3 and the start of what looks like an underwhelming year 4.

    At WIU, he won 4 games, 5 games, and 7 games (including a playoff win over Dayton). He gets way too much credit for "turning WIU around". The committee was generous that year and gave a bid to WIU after they played a tough schedule and won some good games to finish the year 6-5. And yet, everyone cites his time at WIU as testimony to his abilities in D1. As a D1 coach, he has two winning seasons out of the last 7 and a combined D1 record of 32-41. We'll see how this season goes down south, but Nielsen still has a lot to prove as a D1 coach.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    SF SD
    Posts
    8,739

    Default Re: 2019 USD Defense

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    I just think it's funny how much they've tried to change the narrative down there this off-season. When he first got hired, it was, "He knows how to turn programs around and turn then into winners". Their 2017 season seemed to confirm that. Then last year happened, and all off-season, Jay Elsen and others have been pushing the narrative that when Bob rebuilt those other programs, there were up and down seasons before he had them running at a high level. That's a load of crap. In Bob Nielsen's 10 seasons at Duluth, he won fewer than 9 games three times, and two of those seasons were 7 and 8 win seasons. His first year in his first stint, he won 3 games. Otherwise, they pretty much consistently won 10+ games the majority of his time there. Same thing happened at Wartburg and Eau Claire. Not exactly up and down. But, that's the narrative this season from the media after an underwhelming year 3 and the start of what looks like an underwhelming year 4.

    At WIU, he won 4 games, 5 games, and 7 games (including a playoff win over Dayton). He gets way too much credit for "turning WIU around". The committee was generous that year and gave a bid to WIU after they played a tough schedule and won some good games to finish the year 6-5. And yet, everyone cites his time at WIU as testimony to his abilities in D1. As a D1 coach, he has two winning seasons out of the last 7 and a combined D1 record of 32-41. We'll see how this season goes down south, but Nielsen still has a lot to prove as a D1 coach.
    He has the contract to back it up though.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done. Arnold Palmer

    Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hartford, SD
    Posts
    2,658

    Default Re: 2019 USD Defense

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    I just think it's funny how much they've tried to change the narrative down there this off-season. When he first got hired, it was, "He knows how to turn programs around and turn then into winners". Their 2017 season seemed to confirm that. Then last year happened, and all off-season, Jay Elsen and others have been pushing the narrative that when Bob rebuilt those other programs, there were up and down seasons before he had them running at a high level. That's a load of crap. In Bob Nielsen's 10 seasons at Duluth, he won fewer than 9 games three times, and two of those seasons were 7 and 8 win seasons. His first year in his first stint, he won 3 games. Otherwise, they pretty much consistently won 10+ games the majority of his time there. Same thing happened at Wartburg and Eau Claire. Not exactly up and down. But, that's the narrative this season from the media after an underwhelming year 3 and the start of what looks like an underwhelming year 4.

    At WIU, he won 4 games, 5 games, and 7 games (including a playoff win over Dayton). He gets way too much credit for "turning WIU around". The committee was generous that year and gave a bid to WIU after they played a tough schedule and won some good games to finish the year 6-5. And yet, everyone cites his time at WIU as testimony to his abilities in D1. As a D1 coach, he has two winning seasons out of the last 7 and a combined D1 record of 32-41. We'll see how this season goes down south, but Nielsen still has a lot to prove as a D1 coach.
    Excellent post! I hope they extend him further, have to let him go and further run that dumpster fire into the ground.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,070

    Default Re: 2019 USD Defense

    I'm in the pro-Nielsen camp, too. I hope USD keeps him around for a long time. Coach Fancy Pants (to quote Nidaros) wins just enough to give Coyote fans hope that someday, maybe two or three years from now, their team might rise above mediocrity.
    This space for lease.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Arlington SD
    Posts
    12,935

    Default Re: 2019 USD Defense

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    I'm in the pro-Nielsen camp, too. I hope USD keeps him around for a long time. Coach Fancy Pants (to quote Nidaros) wins just enough to give Coyote fans hope that someday, maybe two or three years from now, their team might rise above mediocrity.
    All I can say is peace, love, coffee and the Jackrabbits to quote your signature. Yes USD is lucky to have him, and SDSU continues to lead the all time series. He could add some lights to his bow tie.

  10. #20

    Default Re: 2019 USD Defense

    Quote Originally Posted by Nidaros View Post
    All I can say is peace, love, coffee and the Jackrabbits to quote your signature. Yes USD is lucky to have him, and SDSU continues to lead the all time series. He could add some lights to his bow tie.
    Haha. This is very good!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •