2019 USD Defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 USD Defense

USD's new defensive coordinator, Travis Johansen, was hired away from NAIA Grand View (Iowa) with much fanfare about his "position-less football" approach to the defense (I'm not making that up -- see the Argus Leader articles cited below at *).

The position-less defense debuted Saturday when the Coyotes hosted Montana. I watched part of the game on TV. I've now found some video which, while not actual video of the USD game, must have surely served as the model for position-less defense as employed by USD against Montana. Remember the vibrating electric football games?

Watch how many guys in red are simply going in circles.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8y0_XVnCII

* See "New South Dakota defensive coordinator Travis Johansen forging new path", Argus Leader, Jan. 18, 2019 -
    https://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...es/2614053002/

And see "New USD defensive coordinator Travis Johansen building unit from the ground up", Argus Leader, April 16, 2019.
    https://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...ew/3402084002/

Last edited by JackJD; 09-02-2019, 04:44 PM.

Re: 2019 USD Defense

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

And see "New USD defensive coordinator Travis Johansen building unit from the ground up", Argus Leader, April 16, 2019.
    Looks like he forgot to build and just left it on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

USD’s defense couldn’t get off the field on third down. Perhaps some of that is from learning a new scheme. They will need to improve to be a factor in the MVFC. It will be tough to learn much during the Oklahoma game as Jalen Hurts is likely to dismantle them.
      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

It seems to be more of a "Swiss Cheese" defense rather than a "Bend-but-don't break" defense. This game is going to get ugly quickly.

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
          It seems to be more of a "Swiss Cheese" defense rather than a "Bend-but-don't break" defense. This game is going to get ugly quickly.

SUPERBUNNY
          My guess Oklahoma rests hurt and others most of the game. Second half for sure.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            Big margins of victory seems to impress national poll voters, so I doubt that the Sooners back off very early.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
              Big margins of victory seems to impress national poll voters, so I doubt that the Sooners back off very early.
              Losing a star qb to uneeded injury against usd should be worth the risk. Most likely 2nd string will be able to do enough damage to easy any concerns.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

The over/under is 75.5.

I'll go over: OU 70 USD 7.

I am not a professional gambler. I am not a gambler. This should be proof of why right here.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Keep in mind that that in its current state of remodeling, which is approximately the 27th renovation of the Dome, the stadium only seats spectators on one side of the field. That might have thrown the defense more out of balance than usual.
                  This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                    Keep in mind that that in its current state of remodeling, which is approximately the 27th renovation of the Dome, the stadium only seats spectators on one side of the field. That might have thrown the defense more out of balance than usual.

The dome or that yote defense?

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      Doubtful. Gotta boost them stats for the Heisman race.
                      Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                        Doubtful. Gotta boost them stats for the Heisman race.
                        Well after the usd game he will probably have plenty of stat boosting plays to help his chances.

Comment

Somewhere out there, Yote53 is talking himself into a Coyote upset win.

(This is the smack thread, right?)

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                            Somewhere out there, Yote53 is talking himself into a Coyote upset win.

(This is the smack thread, right?)
                            if Stig was coaching USD, they would hit field expecting to win the football game, just like we did at Minnesota. Fancy pants Nielsen will no doubt be wearing a white shirt and red tie, maybe a bowtie.

Comment

I just think it's funny how much they've tried to change the narrative down there this off-season. When he first got hired, it was, "He knows how to turn programs around and turn then into winners". Their 2017 season seemed to confirm that. Then last year happened, and all off-season, Jay Elsen and others have been pushing the narrative that when Bob rebuilt those other programs, there were up and down seasons before he had them running at a high level. That's a load of crap. In Bob Nielsen's 10 seasons at Duluth, he won fewer than 9 games three times, and two of those seasons were 7 and 8 win seasons. His first year in his first stint, he won 3 games. Otherwise, they pretty much consistently won 10+ games the majority of his time there. Same thing happened at Wartburg and Eau Claire. Not exactly up and down. But, that's the narrative this season from the media after an underwhelming year 3 and the start of what looks like an underwhelming year 4.

At WIU, he won 4 games, 5 games, and 7 games (including a playoff win over Dayton). He gets way too much credit for "turning WIU around". The committee was generous that year and gave a bid to WIU after they played a tough schedule and won some good games to finish the year 6-5. And yet, everyone cites his time at WIU as testimony to his abilities in D1. As a D1 coach, he has two winning seasons out of the last 7 and a combined D1 record of 32-41. We'll see how this season goes down south, but Nielsen still has a lot to prove as a D1 coach.

Comment

Working...
                              X