Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 USD Defense

Default 2019 USD Defense

USD's new defensive coordinator, Travis Johansen, was hired away from NAIA Grand View (Iowa) with much fanfare about his "position-less football" approach to the defense (I'm not making that up -- see the Argus Leader articles cited below at *).

The position-less defense debuted Saturday when the Coyotes hosted Montana. I watched part of the game on TV. I've now found some video which, while not actual video of the USD game, must have surely served as the model for position-less defense as employed by USD against Montana. Remember the vibrating electric football games?

Watch how many guys in red are simply going in circles.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8y0_XVnCII

* See "New South Dakota defensive coordinator Travis Johansen forging new path", Argus Leader, Jan. 18, 2019 -
    https://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...es/2614053002/

And see "New USD defensive coordinator Travis Johansen building unit from the ground up", Argus Leader, April 16, 2019.
    https://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...ew/3402084002/

Last edited by JackJD; 09-02-2019 at 06:44 PM.

Default Re: 2019 USD Defense

Quote Originally Posted by JackJD View Post

And see "New USD defensive coordinator Travis Johansen building unit from the ground up", Argus Leader, April 16, 2019.
    Looks like he forgot to build and just left it on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

USD’s defense couldn’t get off the field on third down. Perhaps some of that is from learning a new scheme. They will need to improve to be a factor in the MVFC. It will be tough to learn much during the Oklahoma game as Jalen Hurts is likely to dismantle them.
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

It seems to be more of a "Swiss Cheese" defense rather than a "Bend-but-don't break" defense. This game is going to get ugly quickly.

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
    It seems to be more of a "Swiss Cheese" defense rather than a "Bend-but-don't break" defense. This game is going to get ugly quickly.

SUPERBUNNY
    My guess Oklahoma rests hurt and others most of the game. Second half for sure.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done. Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Quote Originally Posted by goon View Post
    My guess Oklahoma rests hurt and others most of the game. Second half for sure.
    Big margins of victory seems to impress national poll voters, so I doubt that the Sooners back off very early.

Quote Originally Posted by bigticket1 View Post
    Big margins of victory seems to impress national poll voters, so I doubt that the Sooners back off very early.
    Losing a star qb to uneeded injury against usd should be worth the risk. Most likely 2nd string will be able to do enough damage to easy any concerns.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done. Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

The over/under is 75.5.

I'll go over: OU 70 USD 7.

I am not a professional gambler. I am not a gambler. This should be proof of why right here.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Keep in mind that that in its current state of remodeling, which is approximately the 27th renovation of the Dome, the stadium only seats spectators on one side of the field. That might have thrown the defense more out of balance than usual.
    This space for lease.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    Keep in mind that that in its current state of remodeling, which is approximately the 27th renovation of the Dome, the stadium only seats spectators on one side of the field. That might have thrown the defense more out of balance than usual.

The dome or that yote defense?