Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019 USD Defense

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    On the multi-year contract point: Rather than say a multi-year contract "wasn't legal", I think a more accurate characterization was that multi-year contracts were not permitted (perhaps I'm making a distinction without a difference but I think saying the contract wasn't "legal" suggests USD was doing something illegal and that was not the case). USD went to the Regents and persuaded them to permit a multi-year contract. Personally, I thought having permission to enter into multi-year contracts was a good thing for SDSU too and since that policy change, SDSU has entered into multi-year contracts.

Now, because this is a smack thread, I'll add the following: credit USD's AD, Herbster, for leading on that issue -- it's the first time USD was out front on an issue in the D1 era.

USD had 14 penalties for a total of 160 yards! WIU had 11 penalties for 106 yards. Those refs had to be pretty tired after that game.
    So, I Google "Western Illinois - Coyotes," and I just had to mention that "Can I shoot a coyote in my yard in Illinois" was among the "People also ask" results, but I digress.

Regarding the penalties, USD had personal foul, PI (3), offside, false start, holding (3), illegal use of hands, face mask, illegal formation, and unsportsmanlike conduct (2), whereas WIU had false starts (2), PI, roughing, illegal block, holding (3), unsportsmanlike, personal foul, and a face mask.

I think some of the USD criticism is a function of a combination of confirmation bias/level of attention devoted to their "culture" and the frequency with which some Jacks fans watch games; however, if they have multiple games with multiple personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, questioning the culture could be warranted. Similarly, if they are consistently penalized at that rate, one could question player discipline.

Comment

From MVFC web site:

Penalties

You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

The funny thing about the whole USD being terrible thing is that CoyoteFan has consistently been the most right about the state of their team but the USD fanbase thinks he is too negative and banned him from everything. Go look at the pre-season predictions and everything they've had over the past few years. He's always pessimistic (and right) and they are always optimistic (and wrong) and he gets exiled. **** cracks me up.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
          The funny thing about the whole USD being terrible thing is that CoyoteFan has consistently been the most right about the state of their team but the USD fanbase thinks he is too negative and banned him from everything. Go look at the pre-season predictions and everything they've had over the past few years. He's always pessimistic (and right) and they are always optimistic (and wrong) and he gets exiled. **** cracks me up.
          Coyotefan is a lone wolf. I ran into him on D2 football messages board and NCC people had to hang together or hang separately which often was the case. The MIAA fans ran the message board. But you are right about Coyotefan.
          Last edited by Nidaros; 11-04-2019, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
            I have a family member who played for USD so I follow their scores a little bit and will watch sometimes.
            I, too, have a family member who played down there back in the day. He's been to at least a couple of games this season. Between the personal fouls and whatever else he witnessed, he called it "a classless program."
            @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
            --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

I really want to twist the dagger and make fun of USD for their incompetent and pathetic showing on the field (and likely in the classroom). However, I can't help but feel a little sorry for them. It must suck to be complete losers and fail at everything you're trying to do. Not only that, they have to look up from the mud and see the shining city on a hill that their big brother constructed. They have to overhear the compliments and accolades given to him, while being treated like a stray dog (or coyote) from off the streets.

Someone had to let W Ill get their first win in 364 days, and only USD has they level of chivalry to make that sacrifice. They had of known that they'd be made fun of for letting the leathernecks win, but guided by their strong moral compass, USD was not deterred. So no, I'm going to resist and not kick USD while they are down. Go ahead and tell me that Stig and I don't have a killer instinct. USD put it on the line for the guys at W Ill. I think we need to respect that.

Comment

SlapJack: Your empathy defines the word empathy.

Comment

Originally posted by SlapJack View Post
                  I really want to twist the dagger and make fun of USD for their incompetent and pathetic showing on the field (and likely in the classroom). However, I can't help but feel a little sorry for them. It must suck to be complete losers and fail at everything you're trying to do. Not only that, they have to look up from the mud and see the shining city on a hill that their big brother constructed. They have to overhear the compliments and accolades given to him, while being treated like a stray dog (or coyote) from off the streets.

Someone had to let W Ill get their first win in 364 days, and only USD has they level of chivalry to make that sacrifice. They had of known that they'd be made fun of for letting the leathernecks win, but guided by their strong moral compass, USD was not deterred. So no, I'm going to resist and not kick USD while they are down. Go ahead and tell me that Stig and I don't have a killer instinct. USD put it on the line for the guys at W Ill. I think we need to respect that.
                  Those two guys who got the personal fouls should be doing laps and laps and laps until their tongues are dragging on the dome in door track, that is if its not covered with football turf. How stupid can you get. Maybe it was one moron, if so double the laps.

Comment

The fact that USD leads the conference in penalties attests to the lack of control that Nielson has on his players. I lost all respect for him last year, after a USD defensive player hurt a Jack with a cheap hit. The USD bench (possibly including an assistant coach) celebrated the illegal hit as if their guy had won a boxing match. It didn't seem to matter that they were losing the game and there was an injured player on the ground.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                      On the multi-year contract point: Rather than say a multi-year contract "wasn't legal", I think a more accurate characterization was that multi-year contracts were not permitted (perhaps I'm making a distinction without a difference but I think saying the contract wasn't "legal" suggests USD was doing something illegal and that was not the case). USD went to the Regents and persuaded them to permit a multi-year contract. Personally, I thought having permission to enter into multi-year contracts was a good thing for SDSU too and since that policy change, SDSU has entered into multi-year contracts.

Now, because this is a smack thread, I'll add the following: credit USD's AD, Herbster, for leading on that issue -- it's the first time USD was out front on an issue in the D1 era.

USD had 14 penalties for a total of 160 yards! WIU had 11 penalties for 106 yards. Those refs had to be pretty tired after that game.
                      You have wonder if there is buyout in Bob’s future? Does USD have a million or so on hand? I would think it would be a scramble to do this or does USD have some generous donors?

Comment

Beyond the issue of any buyout would be having the money to hire the next Head coach. Nebraska donors are deep so eating a few years of salary isn't a big deal. USD fresh into a dome reno and all likely can't find a way to back him out of this.

Comment

Buyout? Who wants to take the controls of this dumpster fire? It sucks to suck!

SUPERBUNNY
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                            The fact that USD leads the conference in penalties attests to the lack of control that Nielson has on his players. I lost all respect for him last year, after a USD defensive player hurt a Jack with a cheap hit. The USD bench (possibly including an assistant coach) celebrated the illegal hit as if their guy had won a boxing match. It didn't seem to matter that they were losing the game and there was an injured player on the ground.
                            Does anyone have video of this. Every recruit who posts on Twitter they've received an offer from USD needs to see this.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                              Does anyone have video of this. Every recruit who posts on Twitter they've received an offer from USD needs to see this.
                              I have a .gif of it, but are we really going to go around and reply to the tweets of HS kids with this? Seems dumb and counterproductive.
                              Originally posted by JackFan96
                              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                                I have a .gif of it, but are we really going to go around and reply to the tweets of HS kids with this? Seems dumb and counterproductive.
                                No - hopefully our coaches show them the video instead in more private channels. Not that we really need to do much to out recruit them right now. That's pretty much taking care of itself.

Comment

Working...
                                X