Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019 USD Defense

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    I just think it's funny how much they've tried to change the narrative down there this off-season. When he first got hired, it was, "He knows how to turn programs around and turn then into winners". Their 2017 season seemed to confirm that. Then last year happened, and all off-season, Jay Elsen and others have been pushing the narrative that when Bob rebuilt those other programs, there were up and down seasons before he had them running at a high level. That's a load of crap. In Bob Nielsen's 10 seasons at Duluth, he won fewer than 9 games three times, and two of those seasons were 7 and 8 win seasons. His first year in his first stint, he won 3 games. Otherwise, they pretty much consistently won 10+ games the majority of his time there. Same thing happened at Wartburg and Eau Claire. Not exactly up and down. But, that's the narrative this season from the media after an underwhelming year 3 and the start of what looks like an underwhelming year 4.

At WIU, he won 4 games, 5 games, and 7 games (including a playoff win over Dayton). He gets way too much credit for "turning WIU around". The committee was generous that year and gave a bid to WIU after they played a tough schedule and won some good games to finish the year 6-5. And yet, everyone cites his time at WIU as testimony to his abilities in D1. As a D1 coach, he has two winning seasons out of the last 7 and a combined D1 record of 32-41. We'll see how this season goes down south, but Nielsen still has a lot to prove as a D1 coach.
    He has the contract to back it up though.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
      I just think it's funny how much they've tried to change the narrative down there this off-season. When he first got hired, it was, "He knows how to turn programs around and turn then into winners". Their 2017 season seemed to confirm that. Then last year happened, and all off-season, Jay Elsen and others have been pushing the narrative that when Bob rebuilt those other programs, there were up and down seasons before he had them running at a high level. That's a load of crap. In Bob Nielsen's 10 seasons at Duluth, he won fewer than 9 games three times, and two of those seasons were 7 and 8 win seasons. His first year in his first stint, he won 3 games. Otherwise, they pretty much consistently won 10+ games the majority of his time there. Same thing happened at Wartburg and Eau Claire. Not exactly up and down. But, that's the narrative this season from the media after an underwhelming year 3 and the start of what looks like an underwhelming year 4.

At WIU, he won 4 games, 5 games, and 7 games (including a playoff win over Dayton). He gets way too much credit for "turning WIU around". The committee was generous that year and gave a bid to WIU after they played a tough schedule and won some good games to finish the year 6-5. And yet, everyone cites his time at WIU as testimony to his abilities in D1. As a D1 coach, he has two winning seasons out of the last 7 and a combined D1 record of 32-41. We'll see how this season goes down south, but Nielsen still has a lot to prove as a D1 coach.
      Excellent post! I hope they extend him further, have to let him go and further run that dumpster fire into the ground.

Comment

I'm in the pro-Nielsen camp, too. I hope USD keeps him around for a long time. Coach Fancy Pants (to quote Nidaros) wins just enough to give Coyote fans hope that someday, maybe two or three years from now, their team might rise above mediocrity.
        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
          I'm in the pro-Nielsen camp, too. I hope USD keeps him around for a long time. Coach Fancy Pants (to quote Nidaros) wins just enough to give Coyote fans hope that someday, maybe two or three years from now, their team might rise above mediocrity.
          All I can say is peace, love, coffee and the Jackrabbits to quote your signature. Yes USD is lucky to have him, and SDSU continues to lead the all time series. He could add some lights to his bow tie.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            All I can say is peace, love, coffee and the Jackrabbits to quote your signature. Yes USD is lucky to have him, and SDSU continues to lead the all time series. He could add some lights to his bow tie.
            Haha. This is very good!!

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
              Haha. This is very good!!
              You got to be kind of old to get that one. Let me explain, back in the early 1950,s to get laughs comedians would wear bow ties that came with flashing lights. A bunch of prankster kind of people also sported this fancy gimmick of flashing lights with batteries in shirt pocket, This seems fitting to Coach Nielsen since he comes to a game dressed old school wearing a business suit and white shirt and a bright red tie, usually not a bow tie but I have not seen every USD game. Coaches now days are very casual in their dress, although Minnesota coach Fleck did wear a black bow tie without flashing lights I might add. This could be a way signal plays from the sideline!

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                The over/under is 75.5.

I'll go over: OU 70 USD 7.

I am not a professional gambler. I am not a gambler. This should be proof of why right here.
                Welp, I hit the over.

70-14.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Congrats to the Coyotes for holding Oklahoma to under 100 points and under 1,000 yards. Another morale victory!
                  This space for lease.

Comment

Just thought I'd put it out there, but usd brought their band. I'm sure nobody noticed.
                    Rollin' in my 5.0
                    With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                    Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

USD's defense STINKS.
                      Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Officials doing everything they can to keep USD in this one

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                          USD's defense STINKS.
                          Down 7, about to punt, USD get's bailed out by the softest targeting call of all time. About the 5th time they've been bailed out by flags this game.
                          Originally posted by JackFan96
                          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
                            Officials doing everything they can to keep USD in this one
                            Even USD players are faking cramps to slow up the game...….

USD is going to give up a lot of points this year since they don't have any positions on defense.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

HBU with one of the worst targeting calls I've ever seen. What a bunch of bull****. And USD scores the very next play (misses XP). Absolute home town call to keep them in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                                Down 7, about to punt, USD get's bailed out by the softest targeting call of all time. About the 5th time they've been bailed out by flags this game.
                                Drake didn’t get called for a worse hit today. No idea how the HBU defender was called for that targeting. What a joke

Comment

Working...
                                X