Jacks host LIU Sharks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacks host LIU Sharks

Moral victories don't count, so it's time to look forward to the first home game of the 2019 season. The forecast for week #2 versus our guests from Long Island University is 65 degrees during tailgating and modestly cooler at kickoff.

Long Island University will playing their first game as an FCS program after moving on from D2. On paper, this should be a kerblastification. However, the Sharks have a recent history of winning, going 30-4 during their last three seasons playing D2 ball. Their coach, Bryan Collins has won 69% of his games as head coach for the Pioneers (changed name for this season) during the last 21 seasons. His teams have qualified for the NCAA DII postseason six times under his leadership. He has coached and recruited 12 All-Americans. Last year's team was led by Jake Carlock, who was a finalist for the top small school defender award and was still on the NY Giants roster earlier today.

They graduated 16 starters from last year's conference champion team, so not only do they sport new team colors and mascot, they will have numerous players that will be starting this year. (oh, oh..) Sophomore, Jonathan DeBique returns to the backfield after earning honors on the all-league rookie team. They return five offensive linemen who either started or saw action on last years team. Depth and size will be an issue for them.

It will be interesting to see what type of team will take the field for a program that will have many fresh faces to match their new team colors. You hate to take a W for granted, but you hope we get some good experience for first year starters and backup and stay healthy.

What do you hope to experience from our home opener?

Re: Jacks host LIU Sharks

I want to see a team that comes out pissed off about last week and not a team that come out overconfident because they feel good about just hanging with a B1G team. Put it away early and work on some things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Growth for Gibbs. Want to see if the nerves playing at home show up. He settled his feet down as the game went on and all things considered looked pretty composed his first game. I just want to see growth and him getting comfortable with the offense. It was impressive, the game looked to fast for him to start but the 3rd qtr looked seasoned and knew what he was doing out there.

It might be our only home game we can make so hope to have a good turnout and fun time. what do we know about the kids play area in the SJAC and other pregame festivities? I haven't really looked into it much. Or the ever lingering bag policy, purses, diaper bags etc? whats the scope if anyone knows?
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        It might be our only home game we can make so hope to have a good turnout and fun time. what do we know about the kids play area in the SJAC and other pregame festivities? I haven't really looked into it much. Or the ever lingering bag policy, purses, diaper bags etc? whats the scope if anyone knows?

Check:
        https://www.statealum.com/s/1108/rd1...=13&calcid=685

https://gojacks.com/facilities/?id=2

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
          Moral victories don't count, so it's time to look forward to the first home game of the 2019 season. The forecast for week #2 versus our guests from Long Island University is 65 degrees during tailgating and modestly cooler at kickoff.

Long Island University will playing their first game as an FCS program after moving on from D2. On paper, this should be a kerblastification. However, the Sharks have a recent history of winning, going 30-4 during their last three seasons playing D2 ball. Their coach, Bryan Collins has won 69% of his games as head coach for the Pioneers (changed name for this season) during the last 21 seasons. His teams have qualified for the NCAA DII postseason six times under his leadership. He has coached and recruited 12 All-Americans. Last year's team was led by Jake Carlock, who was a finalist for the top small school defender award and was still on the NY Giants roster earlier today.

They graduated 16 starters from last year's conference champion team, so not only do they sport new team colors and mascot, they will have numerous players that will be starting this year. (oh, oh..) Sophomore, Jonathan DeBique returns to the backfield after earning honors on the all-league rookie team. They return five offensive linemen who either started or saw action on last years team. Depth and size will be an issue for them.

It will be interesting to see what type of team will take the field for a program that will have many fresh faces to match their new team colors. You hate to take a W for granted, but you hope we get some good experience for first year starters and backup and stay healthy.

What do you hope to experience from our home opener?
          I'm hoping the band sets the tone by demoralizing them with an impromptu (and very brief) "Baby Shark" ditty which ushers in a 49-0 Jacks victory.

Comment

I have searched for a fan forum for LIU but have been unsuccessful.
            Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Thanks
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Time to build confidence, I anticipate using the pass to open the run. Gibbs did well in his first start but hopefully some of the accuracy issues can be remedied. Rushing wise we should do well. We are likely the best team LIU will face so they will arrive looking to use this game as a barometer for how they enter the FCS.

I expect the D to continue to develop the rotation and perfect the stunting. I appreciated how aggressive the CBs played on the line against the gophers. Might’ve given up some plays but I’d rather be aggressive and whiff than sit back and deal with 18 play soul crushing drives.

I think Janke is going to be a stud at PR, expect him to do something special back there. We all know Cade is a stud KR, keep him out of it and get experience for the other guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                  Time to build confidence, I anticipate using the pass to open the run. Gibbs did well in his first start but hopefully some of the accuracy issues can be remedied. Rushing wise we should do well. We are likely the best team LIU will face so they will arrive looking to use this game as a barometer for how they enter the FCS.

I expect the D to continue to develop the rotation and perfect the stunting. I appreciated how aggressive the CBs played on the line against the gophers. Might’ve given up some plays but I’d rather be aggressive and whiff than sit back and deal with 18 play soul crushing drives.

I think Janke is going to be a stud at PR, expect him to do something special back there. We all know Cade is a stud KR, keep him out of it and get experience for the other guys.
                  Cade is going to get killed with all the touches once conference season starts. They’ll need to scale him back some.
                  Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

The LIU Sharks compete in the Northeast Conference. The member schools playing football and their locations are: Bryant U (Smithfield, RI); Central Connecticut State U (New Britain, CT); Long Island U (Brooklyn and Brookville, NY); Merrimack College (North Andover, MA); Robert Morris U (Moon Township, PA); Sacred Heart U (Fairfield, CT); Saint Francis University (Loretto, PA); and Wagner College (Staten Island, NY). Duquesne U (Pittsburgh, PA) is a football-only affiliate member.

This is the first meeting between LIU and SDSU in football. Recent history with NEC teams:
                    We played Duquesne 8/31/17 in Brookings -- SDSU 51, Duquesne 13. The following season, 2018, Duquesne and Sacred Heart shared the NEC conference title.
                    We played Robert Morris 9/26/15 in Brookings -- SDSU 34, Robert Morris 10.
                    Last edited by JackJD; 09-02-2019, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Here is the preview of the LIU roster:https://jackrabbitillustrated.blogsp...niversity.html

Here is the podcast where we breakdown the U of M game and preview LIU: https://anchor.fm/jackrabbit-illstrt...renades-e56skt
                      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                        Here is the preview of the LIU roster:https://jackrabbitillustrated.blogsp...niversity.html

Here is the podcast where we breakdown the U of M game and preview LIU: https://anchor.fm/jackrabbit-illstrt...renades-e56skt
                        Hey could we get maybe a stickied thread for all the Jackrabbit Illustrated stuff? I like it in the pregame threads too but I think it would be nice to be able to have them all in one place too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

I see an old video of their coach discussing the 4-4 defense. I don’t know if they still run that, but I’m not sure that will work well against the Jacks offense. They better have a talented safety.
                          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Dang. I'm hearing that the Jacks might be without Gibbs for a few weeks because of a broken finger on his throwing hand.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                              Dang. I'm hearing that the Jacks might be without Gibbs for a few weeks because of a broken finger on his throwing hand.
                              Well that is awful news.
                              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Working...
                              X