GDT: @ UofM Golden Gophers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: @ UofM Golden Gophers

If you’re not watching, UNI is in a similar situation, up 13-10 in the 4th against #21 ISU. That UNI defense is stout.

Comment

Finally got a chance to rewatch the game and man this game felt like some of the old ndsu games where we should have won but yet walked away with a L.
      Last edited by Gojacks2487; 09-01-2019, 09:10 AM.
      Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

I was at the game and have watched the replay once since returning home. There's one lingering item that bugs me a little: Coach Fleck stating to the press in his post-game comments that the game was SDSU's super bowl. I'm real tired of that comment. It's intended as a slam. (For the record: SDSU fans have made the same statement when playing some opponents, notably USD in recent years. That "superbowl" slam should be retired.)

I've always liked the Gophers and I hope the Gophers get it figured out this year and go on to have a great season. Gopher success makes our loss look a little better. Our success this season will make the Gophers' win look a little better. But for coach Fleck, I hope he realizes that for all the Gopher faults in the game, the biggest one was the terrible job the Gophers coaching staff did in the game. The failure to make adjustments etc. is concerning: they'll have a long, tough Big 10 season if the coaches call the game the way they called the Jacks game. There was no question the better coaches were wearing blue and yellow.

The better team didn't win this one but I think anyone who paid attention to the game saw that.

The verdict isn't in yet on Coach Fleck. Is he going to get the job done OR will he be another page in recent Gopher history as another big mouth huckster who can't coach (remember Coach Brewster).

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          I was at the game and have watched the replay once since returning home. There's one lingering item that bugs me a little: Coach Fleck stating to the press in his post-game comments that the game was SDSU's super bowl. I'm real tired of that comment. It's intended as a slam.
          Of course it isn't intended to be insulting, but feels that way. I know, because we Gophers fans have heard the same thing from Michigan, Wisconsin, and Iowa fans. It just means what it obviously means - that this game carried more emotional weight with one team and fanbase than with the other.

Hey, good game. Winning a game like this one causes some emotional conflict - I wish you could have enjoyed a win, because your team came very close to earning one.

Comment

With the exception of three or four plays, the Jacks played well enough to win and were a couple of breaks away from a dominating victory. At times in the second half, the Gopher fans seemed resigned to defeat. The Jacks failed to seize the victory, though. In terms of heartbreaking losses, this one might rank higher than the first loss to Nebraska.
            This space for lease.

Comment

I keep wondering since the officials normally ref at the FBS level, would those two TD's be called back had they been FCS refs? In other words do the FBS refs call things closer that FCS? Or were they good calls?

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                I keep wondering since the officials normally ref at the FBS level, would those two TD's be called back had they been FCS refs? In other words do the FBS refs call things closer that FCS? Or were they good calls?
                IMO, the holding call on the kick return was correct. Unfortnately, the hold wasn't needed as Cade was already through the hole. The block in the back call was absolutely horrendous though.
                "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                  IMO, the holding call on the kick return was correct. Unfortnately, the hold wasn't needed as Cade was already through the hole. The block in the back call was absolutely horrendous though.
                  I felt they were both iffy. Probably in the 2nd qtr I felt Mn got away with pass interference that seemed pretty obvious. 3rd down I think and the contact clearly kept us from catching the ball.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    A few of us were talking about this at the game. I heard MVFC and the Big Ten share refs (similar region of the country.) Anyone else confirm this?
                    Rollin' in my 5.0
                    With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                    Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
                      A few of us were talking about this at the game. I heard MVFC and the Big Ten share refs (similar region of the country.) Anyone else confirm this?
                      Well, the ref for this game (Mark Kluczynski) has reffed at least one Valley game previously.

Comment

Originally posted by everybody knows my name View Post
                        Of course it isn't intended to be insulting, but feels that way. I know, because we Gophers fans have heard the same thing from Michigan, Wisconsin, and Iowa fans. It just means what it obviously means - that this game carried more emotional weight with one team and fanbase than with the other.

Hey, good game. Winning a game like this one causes some emotional conflict - I wish you could have enjoyed a win, because your team came very close to earning one.
                        I can accept that the "superbowl" comment was not intended to be an insult. Coach Fleck was making the point that SDSU would really be "up" for this game--taking on a "local" FBS team, lots of alums in the Cities or within driving distance etc. I think if our coaches are asked, they'll repeat the mantra "one game at a time" and every game is important etc. I think the coaches believe in that and they get their players to buy into that too. If you asked the fans to rank the games they get up for (I think the players would agree if they could remain anonymous) they're in the following order: 1) NDSU; 2) whoever is perceived to be the next toughest team in the conference, usually UNI, Youngstown or Indiana State and 3) USD. On the subject of USD, there will always be a unique connection with that game because of the in-state rivalry and, for now, the fact that the Coyotes haven't beaten the Jacks in a long, long time. (And we all know that win streaks, and losing streaks, always end some time.) Playing an FBS opponent ranks somewhere with playing the rest of the MVFC: they're all tremendously important games. As far as "superbowl" status, there's only one for us and we havent' been there yet: the FCS Championship game.

It was a good game. Everyone should keep in mind that while it was Minnesota's first game of the season and certain kinks have to be worked out, it was also SDSU's first game of the season and certain kinks had to be worked out for the Jacks. We didn't play the kind of game we expect to be playing by the time we start the conference schedule. I think that's true for the Gophers also. They'll need to make significant improvements by the time the B1G schedule starts.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                          I got the feeling that both calls would have stood even with MVFC refs. I imagine our video analyst could possibly tell us more since they can start and stop video provided they caught the infraction. Video does not always catch everything. I suspect Coach Stig will talk about these at the DM meeting on Tuesday. I can not wait/

Comment

I will qualify my observations as a high school ref and not collegiate. (31 years)

I recently attended a workshop where a B1G Ten and a PAC 12 officials were speakers. Both are crew chiefs and white hats. One of the areas we focused on was holding. Both commented on was that holding is called way to much at the HS level. They proceeded to break down the mechanics of holding and the times to let it go. From my observation of the FS1 footage is that the hold on the kick return TD was that it was holding.

It was at the point of attack, even though Cade didn’t need the hold. The other thing is that the Minnesota kid got his body turned and you could see as he was reaching towards Cade that he was being pulled. I didn’t dig into the other call.

Ironically, the Pioneer Press had a photo of Gibbs throwing the TD pass and you can see our left guard or tackle holding the Minnesota lineman’s jersey. Technically it was holding, but it was the classic holding the jersey in the front frame of the defender and the o-lineman was clearly moving his feet to stay in front. Perfect no-call on holding.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                              I will qualify my observations as a high school ref and not collegiate. (31 years)

I recently attended a workshop where a B1G Ten and a PAC 12 officials were speakers. Both are crew chiefs and white hats. One of the areas we focused on was holding. Both commented on was that holding is called way to much at the HS level. They proceeded to break down the mechanics of holding and the times to let it go. From my observation of the FS1 footage is that the hold on the kick return TD was that it was holding.

It was at the point of attack, even though Cade didn’t need the hold. The other thing is that the Minnesota kid got his body turned and you could see as he was reaching towards Cade that he was being pulled. I didn’t dig into the other call.

Ironically, the Pioneer Press had a photo of Gibbs throwing the TD pass and you can see our left guard or tackle holding the Minnesota lineman’s jersey. Technically it was holding, but it was the classic holding the jersey in the front frame of the defender and the o-lineman was clearly moving his feet to stay in front. Perfect no-call on holding.
                              That is a bunch to watch in seconds and to make a call. Make me more respectful of referees.

Comment

I went to go look at a couple things on the replay and watched the first play of the game where we were called for offsides. Reece must have been a little excited to start the game. Lol, lined up JUST a bit offsides.

Comment

Working...
                                X