Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: @ UofM Golden Gophers

Originally posted by trueblue View Post
    Maybe this game would have been different if Gibbs had some PT last year. I agree TC likely makes a difference but we can't keep regretting decisions made last yr or 4 yrs ago
    Even with the 4 game rule for true Freshmen, I dont think the staff last year thought he was ready. Those same mistakes last year could have been more costly like in the last few games of the season. I seen one of the coaches talking and talking to him, we have no audio of the conversation, but I suspect it was about decision making. I think Gibbs has some work in that area, otherwise his skills are in very good shape. Gibbs will do some big things before the season is over.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      I just hope we didnt let all the cats out of the bag with the playbook. Didnt look like we held anything back. I like that it was aggressive.
      That seemed to be the case more so with the Gophers than the Jacks. Breaking out that two point play passing back to the QB showed that they were scared that they couldn't stop the Jacks from scoring again.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        I just hope we didnt let all the cats out of the bag with the playbook. Didnt look like we held anything back. I like that it was aggressive.
        I think if you rewatch the game last night, you'll see that the Jacks ran about 10 different plays. They ran a lot of shifts/motions/multiple formations, etc., but they were really running the same concept. I don't think we put too much on film for anyone last night.

Comment

I loved how the color guy on FS1 called Rozeboom - William Wallace! He definitely plays with no fear.

Comment

I'm so glad we have announcers that take their job seriously.

The game announcer at TCF is NOT GOOD and should be ashamed of how horribly he pronounced our players names. Legitimately didn't even TRY.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I think overall that FS1 did a fantastic job with the broadcast last night - studio guys at halftime were great, and the color and pxp guy were excellent. No complaints from me there.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                Even with the 4 game rule for true Freshmen, I dont think the staff last year thought he was ready. Those same mistakes last year could have been more costly like in the last few games of the season. I seen one of the coaches talking and talking to him, we have no audio of the conversation, but I suspect it was about decision making. I think Gibbs has some work in that area, otherwise his skills are in very good shape. Gibbs will do some big things before the season is over.
                Yep, I agree with this. Gibbs probably learned way more from those 2 turnovers than he would have from playing mop up duty against pine bluff last year. Just growing pains your going to experience with a freshman quarterback. I expect we will see some immense growth in this kids game over this year and the following 3 years

Comment

Reading some of the reactions on gopherhole.com for last night's game. They were definitely disappointed in their play, but I'm modestly pleased with their reactions to SDSU. (There are a few exceptions, just like most boards.)

Very first response was: "
                  SDSU is a good football team."

"Hats off to the SDSU coaches and players. They planned and played a hell of a game."

"Nicest thing I can say is that I hope that either SDSU is that good, or we got very lucky and need to consider this a huge wake up call."

"SDSU has good team but we kind of knew that going in.....
                  SDSU ran a lot of misdirection and natural pick plays so they schemed up the Gophers defense really well. I thought they were doing a better job of calling plays. 'm just happy the Gophers won, I thought SDSU out played us and gave better effort and fight at times."

"Defensively, SDSU controlled the line of scrimmage."

"JackRabbits are a really good FCS team. The Gophers only being 2 TD favorite shows it wasn’t going to be easy."

"SDSU had a great game plan and really outplayed us the second half."

"SDSU is a very good team. They are going to win a lot of games."

"Thought we'd dominate on both lines. I was wrong. Wow."

"
                  SDSU executed their offense nicely for the most part and you could tell the Gophers were unable to key in and disrupt what the Rabbits were doing....
                  SDSU appeared well coached and if not for a few self-inflicted blunders they may have walked out of TCF stadium with a victory."

"SDSU looked like a lower mid tier big ten team, which is better than I anticipated."

"I think if SDSU didn't have a freshman starting his first game at QB it could have been a long night for us. That kid is going to be good, but had a couple of freshmen mistakes."

"
                  South Dakota State was more physical on both lines."

"Perspective- South Dakota is a state of 882,000 people. Total. NDSU often comes in and grabs some of the best players in the state. Nebraska, Iowa, and Iowa State do as well. SDSU has to compete with USD for all of the non FBS kids. Walk-ons? Maybe a few. But Augustana and Sioux Falls get their share of SD kids as well. They have a tiny recruiting budget compared to a school like Minnesota. They find kids in Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, and a little pipeline to Arizona. Yet, they had the ball under two with under two minutes left and a chance to tie or take the lead against the Gophers of Minnesota of the Big Ten. Amazing. "

"
                  South Dakota state played like it was thier super bowl and the gophers played like they were playing, well, a fcs team. The contrast of schemes was telling. SDU ran stunts and crowded the box on D and had lots of misdirection and a open play book on offense. UM ran vanilla everything , thinking they could just impose their will. They finally blitzed some on defense after SDU came out strong on offense the second half."

"
                  SDSU is a typical Missouri Valley team, but they are usually not as physical as what you get from UNI, Youngstown, Illinois State and NDSU. They do have a more veteran D this year, but MN made them look very physical."

"
                  Sounds like the team was looking past SDSU to Fresno State. Better hope they aren't looking past Fresno to Georgia Southern."

"
                  SDSU is probably at a similar level as a mid to upper tier Mac team right now. I won't be surprised if they justify their #3 ranking and have a very strong season."

"
                  SDSU is a good team and better than some B1G teams, at least Illinois and Rutgers."

"
                  Outplayed in every aspect except points on turnovers. Out-coached in every way I can think of. Very bad performance."

"
                  People get hung up on the FCS label but SDSU was a solid opponent (similar to playing a team like NDSU). They were able to hang around early and when that happens a team like that becomes super dangerous."

"
                  I'd rather have ugly wins than moral victories any day."

I guess last night was a moral victory. However, it doesn't go down in the books as 1-0.

Comment

I think Gibbs did a fine job for a first game start as a freshman QB, lucky to have him and his backups.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                      I think overall that FS1 did a fantastic job with the broadcast last night - studio guys at halftime were great, and the color and pxp guy were excellent. No complaints from me there.
                      This is spot on. They actually analyzed the game and didn’t spend the entire time talking about an upcoming FBS matchup or anything. Even with their stars for the halftime show. God it makes me wish like hell Fox would get the rights to the FCS playoffs, but I highly doubt that happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

I felt that Gibbs had a good game. He played with composure for most of the game. Which is not easy to play on the road and at a BIG school in front of a large crowd. He did panic when the hike was rolling to him and the defense was about to sack him. He threw an ill advised pick 6, but other than that he seemed to be in control of his emotions. I think he will improve as the year goes along. He did not force any passes. He did throw into some tight spots, but the throws were in areas for our WR & TE's to make a play.

Our former QB would usually over throw the receiver's during big games because they were too amped or the adrenaline was running too high. But Gibbs seems composed and relaxed. This is a good sign for his and the teams future.

Go Jacks
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

I'm sure the team was absolutely nauseous that they didn't get the win last night. The Jacks were clearly the more physical team on both sides of the ball last night. Loved the play calling by Eck. It was innovative and allowed them to get all of the talent that we have available. The biggest question coming in was Gibbs at QB. Other than the fumble and pick 6, he played a very solid game. Obviously, those two probably cost us the game. He will learn from them. Actually, I'm very excited with what I saw and that we have him for the next 4 years. He lead the team on a few impressive drives and showed a lot of poise.

You have to love our chances in the Valley and playoffs based on what we saw last night. I'm sure there are many coaches who will watch that video and know that this team is no joke.

Time for a homestand and some tailgating! Can't wait!!!

SUPERBUNNY
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

What I loved about Gibbs was how he carried himself on the field even when he had to have so many things going through his head. To be under the microscope for weeks/months on end about the only thing holding the Jacks back this year is a redshirt QB. How he had to prove himself over a solid core of QBs on the roster. How his first game would be in front of 50,000 fans in a hostile B1G environment. How he would react after missing some easy passes early in the game. How he would have to overcome obstacles to lead his team from behind.

After failed series early in the game, he kept strapping on his helmet and kept after it. Eck called a game that helped him get in the mix. He did an amazing job bouncing back after throwing a pick six. However, one tell I noticed throughout the game that he was still dealing with stress of his first collegiate start was his mouthpiece. Maybe it's because I'm a referee and I notice things like that, but he seemed to have his mouthpiece wedged in his facemask for many more plays than it was actually in his mouth. That tells me he was focusing on a lot of things. While the game wasn't slowing down for him to process minor things like that, it didn't rattle him. He pulled up his big boy pants play after play regardless of what the "last play" resulted in. That to me is a winner who has the potential to develop into something special during the next four years. It doesn't hurt to be surrounded by the level of talent he has this year.

Comment

Very impressive effort from the Jacks. I did not see that coming. I hope they do well this year.

Comment

Two days after the game and I'm still feeling like Denny Green...

If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                                - Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                                X