2019 Season Prediction and MVFC/Top 25 Standings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Season Prediction and MVFC/Top 25 Standings

I thought it'd be fun to start a season prediction thread while we still have time before Thursday night's game. Additionally, I'll try to post each weeks top 25 and Valley standing's in this thread.

My take on the Jacks in 2019:

@UM - Loss. I would not be shocked with a win, but the more likely outcome is a two score loss. I'll be disappointed with a wider margin of defeat if it happens that way.

Vs. LIU - Win, but this could be an interesting game. Given the fact that it's been pretty well advertised that we are going to be running a lot through the non-conference while Gibbs grows in his role, I think this will be somewhere in the 31-10 range. LIU was a good D2 team last year.

Vs. DRAKE - Win, but maybe not quite as much of a blowout as years past. Again, 38-17 type game, with most of Drake's points coming in the fourth quarter.

Vs. SUU - Win. The Thunderbird's seem to be pretty good this decade on odd numbered years, but I don't the ink this is one of them. Comfortable win.

Vs. SIU - Win. I think SIU could have a much improved team this year, and if the game were in Carbondale, I'd be more worried. But I don't think they'll pose a huge threat at home, and I see this as a two score win.

@YSU - Loss - I think we get tripped up here. YSU has played good D during the Pelini years, and this will be the first road game for the boys in over a month. Those factors, plus our propensity to stumble in October, and I think we take an L here.

@ISUB - Win - Obviously the Sycamores look to be improved again, and risk game is at their place. But I think the team will have last year fresh on their mind and will be ready to take this one. Last years' overtime game had as much to do with the Jacks not being able to shut the door as it did ISUb's play on the field. That was a three score lead entering the fourth quarter that was blown.

Vs NDSU - Win. I'm sure NDSU will be good this year. And while they have lots of talented players stepping in to fill the gaps, they lost an awful lot of the 18 team. And unlike 2014, Carson Wentz isn't waiting in the wings to lead them. On paper, both SDSU and NDSU are staring redshirt QBs with little game exoerience. SDSU returns most of their skill players, a portion of the o-line, and their entire front 7. The game is in Brookings. If Gibbs is progressing like we hope he does, the Jacks should be favored. I know they've recruited well, and thetreatment always well coached, but I'm not ready to believe that their underclassmen that are stepping into starting roles are better than the upper class men the Jacks return, given that both teams will have youth at the QB. Jacks win this one.

@ MSU - Win, but we seem to play really weird down there, and it's the week after the marker. I wouldn't be totally shocked if this is a very close win.

Vs. ISUr - Loss. I think the late season grind cates up with us here, and we drop this one.

Vs UNI - Win. The Isu loss focuses the team and they come out with revenge on the panthers (who will also have a young QB). I think one of the ISUR/UNI games will be a loss, and I think ISUR will be the better team.

@USD - Win. I think the Yotes have potential, but on paper, this isn't a winning O-Line or Defense, and I think theyll be below .500 again this year. Playing down at the Dome, this will be tough, and a shootout victory for them is totally possible. But I think their O-line will be no better than last year, and I'm not sure the rest of the team can make up for it. Win.

9-3 overall, and 6-2 in the Valley.
    I can see 8-4 pretty easy, and maybe 10-2.

Let's see your predictions!

Re: 2019 Season Prediction and MVFC/Top 25 Standings

I'd be shocked if we went 10-2.

I'm guessing we are likely 8-4 with a shot to be 9-3 if things really come together.

Comment

Check out our podcast to hear my bold predictions and Thumper's wishy washy version of predicting games from the 5 minute mark to about 25 minutes: https://anchor.fm/jackrabbit-illstrt...ictions-e51pe7

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
        Check out our podcast to hear my bold predictions and Thumper's wishy washy version of predicting games from the 5 minute mark to about 25 minutes: https://anchor.fm/jackrabbit-illstrt...ictions-e51pe7
        Hey taking Sanford and the points is fitting well into my “spot Cappin a couple games” strategy.
        Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
          Hey taking Sanford and the points is fitting well into my “spot Cappin a couple games” strategy.

Comment

I'm more curious is this the year where we put it together? Maybe I have to much faith? But I am very optimistic for some reason. Is it the the fact that we are willing to change on Def strategy, or new O coordinators, don't get me wrong Eric did a great job. I just feel that his playing calling was little to overdone/cute at times. We have a stable of weapons for Gibbs. We have some experience at OL, tad worried about depth. And on Defense we have a solid front 7. And I believe we are going to see great things from our young DBs, defintly going to be some mistakes. Maybe I drank the koolaid or I'm just excited about football season I don't now. But lets go 11-1 Go Jacks and hell lets bring home a few titles.
            Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

It’s tough to win in the MVFC with a young QB. The season will come down to Gibbs passing ability as I see defenses loading the box to stop the run every game. 8-4 season similar to 2015 when the Jacks had a young QB taking his lumps but had a veteran behind him. Gibbs doesn’t have that luxury this year.

Comment

I'm pretty optimistic. I'll go 10-2. I like the aggressive and enthusiastic nature of the new coordinators and the assistant head coach. They've got a lot of talent to work with. The biggest question to me, as a fan, is whether an apparently talented but young and inexperienced crew of defensive backs can do their part to get the Jacks' defense off the field on third down.
                This space for lease.

Comment

I think I was low last year, so I'll continue the underestimating. I'll take 8-4.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

The difference in the confidence/expectation level between SDSU and NDSU fans always amazes me. IF NDSU had our team and same competition level as we will face their fans would be predicting 11-1 or 12-0 season records. Our fans are predicting 8-4 to 10-2 records. Perhaps we fans need to be as optimistic and have as high of expectations for the Jacks as the people up north have for the Bison. I will go with a feasible 11-1 prediction. In a little over 72 hours we will have a better idea of what level of expectation we should have. jmo

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                      The difference in the confidence/expectation level between SDSU and NDSU fans always amazes me. IF NDSU had our team and same competition level as we will face their fans would be predicting 11-1 or 12-0 season records. Our fans are predicting 8-4 to 10-2 records. Perhaps we fans need to be as optimistic and have as high of expectations for the Jacks as the people up north have for the Bison. I will go with a feasible 11-1 prediction. In a little over 72 hours we will have a better idea of what level of expectation we should have. jmo
                      Because those are the expectations that the respective teams have given each fanbase. How many 10-2 or 11-1 seasons have the Jackrabbits had? Even with the stacked teams we've had in the past, something happens and we have 1 or 2 games that just make you shake your head.

I think this team could be really good, but to expect a freshman to step in right off the bat is a big ask.
                      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

A few other games of interest this week:

JMU @ West Virginia
                        Montana @ USD
                        Nicholls @ K State
                        ISUR @ NIU

Some interesting matchups there. The Montana-USD game is huge for both teams. The griz were really inconsistent last year, while USD was just flat out not good on the o-line and the D. In my opinion, Montana takes a step forward this year and the yours remain underwhelming in the trenches. I think Montana takes it by 10+. The loser of this game has an uphill battle for the playoffs. If the yokes lose, they'll likely enter the conference season at 2-2, meaning they have have to go 5-3 in conference to even have a shot at the post season. The griz also have a tough slate ahead and would likely enter October 2-2 with one of the toughest Big Sky schedules with games @ Davis, vs EWU, vs Weber, and @ MSU. The loser on 8/31 is in a tight spot.

I also think that if ISUR is going to live up to their preseason hype, the NIU game is one they should win, convincingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                          I think NDSU has earned the right to have high expectations year in and year out. They have been a football powerhouse for so many years, they have won 7 of the last 8 national championships, and won a bunch at the D2 level as well. I think SDSU has done an amazing job with the football program since the move to D1, but we didn't have the long lasting winning tradition that NDSU had. To me I think it is reasonable for SDSU fans to expect a playoff team every year, and yes I do think we should have high expectations to win a national title very soon. I just don't think we are quite to the level of expecting 10 and 11 win regular seasons year after year at this point, especially when scheduling and FBS opponent almost every year, and playing in the toughest conference in the FCS. I want to be optimistic about the Jacks every year and this year I would be very happy with a 9-3 team. To me this program is really just getting started when it comes to being a consistent title contender.

Comment

I think 8-4 is likely...and I'm hoping that's what happens.

Would not be shocked at 7-5... it's a tough league.

But I'm always a pessimist at the start of the season.

Comment

Working...
                            X