Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ivy League Champ vs. MVFC non-playoff qualifier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ivy League Champ vs. MVFC non-playoff qualifier?

On AnyGivenSaturday.com, one discussion thread talks about how the Ivy League doesn't allow their teams to play in the FCS post season. I had never heard of that, but it makes sense when you look back. With some of the quality recruits that choose to play in that league versus going to some of the top FCS programs, I would think it would be interesting to see how they measure up.

What if there were a bowl game between the Ivy League champion versus a non-playoff MVFC team. Pick a team that doesn't make the playoffs from the MVFC and let them travel to the Ivy League champ and see how good they are? I'd recommend making this a cash game for the MVFC team so they don't lose money on the deal. The MEAC and SWAC champions already meet in the Celebration Bowl instead of taking a beating in the tourney, so there's already a precedence for having such a game.

Look at the history of quality MVFC teams that didn't qualify for playoffs in recent years and how they finished in the MVFC standings.

2018 - Indiana State (T-3rd; 7-4)
    2017 - Illinois State (T-5th; 6-5)
    2016 - UNI (T-5th; 5-6) or Western Illinois (T-6th; 6-5)
    2015 - Indiana State, USD and UNI (T-6th; 5-6)
    2014 - YSU (T-5th; 7-5)

One potential drawback is that this may give the selection committee an out for not taking an extra team from the MVFC.

Bottom line is that it still amazes me that the Ivy League doesn't allow their teams to play in the tourney. I have to respect them for making the commitment to the Student​/athlete priority they have.

Ivy League Champ vs. MVFC non-playoff qualifier?

That won’t fly for them either. That would still be postseason play in their minds.

My biggest issue is how they play the “it’s because we value the student” part. That’s the biggest most hypocritical brand of bologna on the market today. EVERY OTHER SPORT that the conference sponsors is allowed to participate in their respective playoffs. The football team being forced to abstain from the playoffs is nothing more than Ivy League elitism at its finest. The reality is they don’t want to risk their shiny Ivy League rep and have the Ivy League championship lose value. It’s a giant crock of ****.

That said I would LOVE to see the Ivy’s in the playoffs, they play some good ball and those programs could really become major forces if the playoffs forced them to really invest in their teams.
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Working...
    X