Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jackrabbit Illustrated position previews

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
    You captured some of my exact same thoughts. Arnheim knows he's spoiled with riches in his group. We'll see if the QB can consistently deliver the ball to them. I think Jaxon Janke blows up. Big and fast. We'll see if Brown can hold him off or not for the #3 spot. There's less hype about Deyon this year but I think he still has a role in this offense.

https://jackrabbitillustrated.blogsp...-receiver.html
    Thanks again, Westside! These previews are fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
      After reading about Brown's down field blocking ability, he will secure a lot of snaps this year considering how often we'll be running the ball. I wasn't aware that he had nagging injuries throughout last season. Hopefully he can stay healthy, because he definitely has potential. Overall, it's great to have so much depth and options to choose from, plus you have to feel good about the future.
      I know WSR is highlighting each player but honestly Adam, Cade and Jacob are all incredible downfield blockers and they learned from Jake who learned from Schnieder...coaching focuses that too. So many long runs in the last so many years are attributed to how everyone trains to excel at that. If any of the WRs engage a DB in run blocking rarely do they quit and even rarer are they flagged for any type of penalty, good technique and discipline.

Comment

Moving over to the defense today and starting with the safeties. I THINK this group will be okay to good but I have not seen them play as a group so I have no idea. I do know they are more athletic than what we had 2 years ago (Farina, Balster, Romonesko). However, those guys were pretty assignment sure. We'll see! Manchigiah has to be better in the run game. Griff is a wild card but is still getting rave reviews. Darnell will play and will likely play a lot.

https://jackrabbitillustrated.blogsp...ew-safety.html
        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Thanks for all your reports, but what about Lorenzo Williams or is he considered a CB now?

Comment

Originally posted by Sodakbull View Post
            Thanks for all your reports, but what about Lorenzo Williams or is he considered a CB now?
            Lorenzo was forced to retire due to injuries I believe but is still helping out the team as a student coach

Comment

Wrote about the defensive tackles today. This position is deep with experience. It will be interesting to see when Krockett is back. Sanders and Xavier aren't a bad starting duo. Hoping to limit Stacker and Hildahl to 10-12 snaps a game unless they have really picked up their game in the last year. Van Marel had a really good fall but a dissapointing spring until the past week. I'm very interested to see what he brings this season. Both coaches noted his intelligence but said he just needs to okay instead of thinking all thE time.

https://jackrabbitillustrated.blogsp...ve-tackle.html

Comment

Wrote about the defensive tackles today. This position is deep with experience. It will be interesting to see when Krockett is back. Sanders and Xavier aren't a bad starting duo. Hoping to limit Stacker and Hildahl to 10-12 snaps a game unless they have really picked up their game in the last year. Van Marel had a really good fall but a dissapointing spring until the past week. I'm very interested to see what he brings this season. Both coaches noted his intelligence but said he just needs to okay instead of thinking all thE time.

https://jackrabbitillustrated.blogsp...ve-tackle.html
                Really liking what we’re hearing about the d line continuity with the merger of coaching. If this group can finally become a strength it will do wonders for making the young backfield look good.
                Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                  Really liking what we’re hearing about the d line continuity with the merger of coaching. If this group can finally become a strength it will do wonders for making the young backfield look good.
                  I think that for the past few years the defense has been an afterthought when it comes to Jackrabbit football. This is the year that the defense will be stars and allow an offense to find their identity. THis could be a very scary team come playoff time.
                  -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                    I think that for the past few years the defense has been an afterthought when it comes to Jackrabbit football. This is the year that the defense will be stars and allow an offense to find their identity. THis could be a very scary team come playoff time.
                    With what sounds like might be a much more run oriented philosophy, they’re going to have their chance to step up and show out for sure.
                    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Defensive ends yesterday: https://jackrabbitillustrated.blogsp...sive-ends.html
                      Linebackers today: https://jackrabbitillustrated.blogsp...inebacker.html

Comment

Good Job Matt this will be fun bunch to watch and will give fans reasons to be on our feet cheering on third down.

Comment

Linebackers - I definitely took Dalton Cox for granted, as looking back he was a very productive player. However, he did have shortcomings in the passing game, as he just didn't have the quickness to either stay with a receiver or cover his zone area. This is where Backhaus really excels as a linebacker. This is evident in the statistics, which show that Cox had 0 pass break ups, deflections, and INTs, whereas Backhaus had 3 break ups, 5 deflections, and 2 INTs. The statistics listed on the jacks site only shows games played, but if it would show the number of snaps played, I would bet that Backhaus was a more productive player in terms of tackles/play as well. I don't mean to bash Cox, but what I'm saying is, I'm really excited to see Backhaus be a leader on the defense along with Rozeboom, as I believe they can make a claim for the best LB duo in FCS.

DE - Really hoping Tolu has a big year. I feel like he can make a big impact if he puts it all together.

Comment

Is Kyle Tuttle in the running for significant playing time? I was really impressed with him during the spring game. Kid was cracking skulls out there.
                            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                            - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                              Linebackers - I definitely took Dalton Cox for granted, as looking back he was a very productive player. However, he did have shortcomings in the passing game, as he just didn't have the quickness to either stay with a receiver or cover his zone area. This is where Backhaus really excels as a linebacker. This is evident in the statistics, which show that Cox had 0 pass break ups, deflections, and INTs, whereas Backhaus had 3 break ups, 5 deflections, and 2 INTs. The statistics listed on the jacks site only shows games played, but if it would show the number of snaps played, I would bet that Backhaus was a more productive player in terms of tackles/play as well. I don't mean to bash Cox, but what I'm saying is, I'm really excited to see Backhaus be a leader on the defense along with Rozeboom, as I believe they can make a claim for the best LB duo in FCS.

DE - Really hoping Tolu has a big year. I feel like he can make a big impact if he puts it all together.
                              I love how your broke down the play/production of Backhaus!

Comment

I'm guessing we'll learn more about Dyshawn Gales when the CB preview comes out, but this is pretty cool: https://twitter.com/GoJacksFB/status...144928768?s=20

Comment

Working...
                                X