Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RV Tailgating Overnight Lot

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    Certainly true on the demand factor. Thankfully, I think if four or five folks want to do it (myself included), it'd be a fun way to spend a few weekends each fall. That's reason enough for me. And if grows from there, that's awesome.
    You would hope that would happen and it probably would over time.

I know someone who called and asked about keeping their 5th wheel camper in the library lot overnight last year. They got a big "no" and said it had to be out after the game. Wasn't a surprise as I figured that was the case.

Can you currently keep an RV in the north lot overnight? I'm guessing not.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
      You would hope that would happen and it probably would over time.

I know someone who called and asked about keeping their 5th wheel camper in the library lot overnight last year. They got a big "no" and said it had to be out after the game. Wasn't a surprise as I figured that was the case.

Can you currently keep an RV in the north lot overnight? I'm guessing not.
      There's no overnight parking, except for the Backyard, which allows you to park and set it up for the season. But I don't think you're allowed to stay overnight in your rig there.

As to the their response to your friend's question, that's why I think we need to get organized and bring this up as a group as opposed to individuals just calling in. Start small and pitch it as a trial run for a season (probably next season) and see how it goes. UPD will be the toughest sell, but I think it could happen if it's well thought out enough.

Comment

I don’t think you need to open it up all weekend but it would be nice. I’d like to see the ability to park your rig there Friday night and move it out by noon on Sunday. Don’t need to stay there. Maybe you open up the parking lot earlier than other tailgating areas on Saturday because of the traffic.

Also, if you got 10 rigs, you’ll fill up at least half of the east side parking lot in front of UPD. It wouldn’t take many groups to hop on board.

Lastly, I’d like to see SDSU give these rigs premium tailgating space right next to the stadium. My fear is that they’ll open up some parking lot a ways away just to say it’s offered.(Maybe out by Hansen hall) These lots should be a main tailgating area.
        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
          I don’t think you need to open it up all weekend but it would be nice. I’d like to see the ability to park your rig there Friday night and move it out by noon on Sunday. Don’t need to stay there. Maybe you open up the parking lot earlier than other tailgating areas on Saturday because of the traffic.

Also, if you got 10 rigs, you’ll fill up at least half of the east side parking lot in front of UPD. It wouldn’t take many groups to hop on board.

Lastly, I’d like to see SDSU give these rigs premium tailgating space right next to the stadium. My fear is that they’ll open up some parking lot a ways away just to say it’s offered.(Maybe out by Hansen hall) These lots should be a main tailgating area.

The bolded is what I'm afraid of too. I've seen it happen before with other game day related events and I highly doubt they'd give the rv rigs a good lot. The current "RV" lot is over by biostress and the animal science lab, so that doesn't fill me with confidence for an overnight lot...

Comment

[/B]

The bolded is what I'm afraid of too. I've seen it happen before with other game day related events and I highly doubt they'd give the rv rigs a good lot. The current "RV" lot is over by biostress and the animal science lab, so that doesn't fill me with confidence for an overnight lot...
            Which is an AWFUL way to promote tailgating. Let’s take some of the guys who put the most into tailgating and put them as far away as physically possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Your football facility has to be one of the top outdoor venues in FCS football. I’ve been to Montana’s, which some would say rivals yours, but I would prefer your stadium to that one any day. A major difference though is the fun factor. Your tailgate quite honestly is awful. But the amazing fact is if everyone just took a deep breath and chilled out, your setup could be OUTSTANDING. Your rules are not in step with today’s wishes for fan base...home or visitors. Your campus police literally are Nazis at times. Most college football fans want to have a game day experience. You have all the tools to accomplish that, so for your sake I hope someone can get to whoever needs to make a decision to loosen it up. You’re missing a golden opportunity to build your base.

i hope you get it done.

Comment

Iowa State, NDSU, and many other schools do something similar. I think NDSU is first come first serve on Friday night and they assign you a specific spot to park once you're there. Not sure on the cost for those, but I'm sure they're similar. I think you start the price a little lower than that when it's just getting started, and increase as demand goes up. I think this is really doable, and if enough people contact the administration about it, we could probably at least try to make a push for it.
                Nope, nope, nope. NDSU fans deal with the same problems you guys do. I think the reserved lots open 6 hours before kickoff or something like that. They definitely do not allow people to park the night before. It's a bone of contention for a group of Bison fans. Up here, it seems to mostly be a issue with Fargo PD, NDSU admin, and Team Makers(which administers the tailgating lots). When each are questioned, they mostly blame the other two(though they don't do it directly; just imply it).

Comment

Tailgating has been talked about plenty on this forum. I think most of us have come to similar conclusions on the problems and how they could be fixed. For me, it comes down to two main issues: UPD and Barry Dunn. UPD seems to go by the book way too hard. I believe we all remember them making an older fan (87?) from an opposing team walk from the Backyard area to almost all the way to Frost to get a wristband so he could drink a beer. Student tailgating doesn't want to be a thing because even of age students don't like having to get their IDs out for an officer walking through (yes, I've had students tell me this happens.) As for President Dunn, it seems he has a vendetta with alcohol. It sounds like he opposes alcohol on campus for any function, and really wants to put a stop to under-age drinking, so don't expect alcohol in the stadium to be a thing while he's around (10-20 more years.) Dunn seems to have encouraged how UPD runs things and it makes fans, and students not want to tailgate if they're going to constantly be watched like some small child. Athletics has tried to compromise with these two groups, but they go nowhere because they won't budge from their stances. I believe UPD should have a presence at gamedays, but not to the extreme to make things tense when people see them.

As for the RVs, I really don't care. You could do what you want at a park and not have to worry about campus rules. Sexauer Park is not far away and has hook-ups.
                  Rollin' in my 5.0
                  With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                  Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
                    Tailgating has been talked about plenty on this forum. I think most of us have come to similar conclusions on the problems and how they could be fixed. For me, it comes down to two main issues: UPD and Barry Dunn. UPD seems to go by the book way too hard. I believe we all remember them making an older fan (87?) from an opposing team walk from the Backyard area to almost all the way to Frost to get a wristband so he could drink a beer. Student tailgating doesn't want to be a thing because even of age students don't like having to get their IDs out for an officer walking through (yes, I've had students tell me this happens.) As for President Dunn, it seems he has a vendetta with alcohol. It sounds like he opposes alcohol on campus for any function, and really wants to put a stop to under-age drinking, so don't expect alcohol in the stadium to be a thing while he's around (10-20 more years.) Dunn seems to have encouraged how UPD runs things and it makes fans, and students not want to tailgate if they're going to constantly be watched like some small child. Athletics has tried to compromise with these two groups, but they go nowhere because they won't budge from their stances. I believe UPD should have a presence at gamedays, but not to the extreme to make things tense when people see them.

As for the RVs, I really don't care. You could do what you want at a park and not have to worry about campus rules. Sexauer Park is not far away and has hook-ups.
                    I don't know about all of that specifically, but there is some truth there. I was in a meeting once with Dunn in which he stated that he'd like our tailgating to resemble what he experienced down at Texas A&M-Kingsville, a D2 school of 8000 students. From what I gathered, he wants it to be very low key and not the feature of pre-game activities.

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post

This seems to be a presumptuous take on President Dunn. I dont know the man personally nor have we discussed alcohol tailgate policy. Safety is my main concern and always will be as long as I attend football events and I would think this is a priority. I understand the social aspects of tailgating but it should not be an opportunity to be unlawful as a citizen. UPD has a job mainly crowd control and I respect them for doing what they have to do.

Comment

UNI announced they will be selling beer in their stadium starting now. Seriously, what is keeping the administration from doing this here? So many other schools can't be wrong can they

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
                          UNI announced they will be selling beer in their stadium starting now. Seriously, what is keeping the administration from doing this here? So many other schools can't be wrong can they
                          Simple guess but probably the tailgate incident where students were throwing beer bottles and cans around the tailgate area in the air.

Comment

Originally posted by SidelineObserver View Post
                            Simple guess but probably the tailgate incident where students were throwing beer bottles and cans around the tailgate area in the air.
                            Ding-ding-ding We have a winner!
                            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
                              Well, we are still in the majority when it comes to schools that don't sell beer in the stadium, and we do live in South Dakota, not exactly the most progressive state.

Comment

Originally posted by SidelineObserver View Post
                                "This is why we can't have nice things."
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X