RV Tailgating Overnight Lot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RV Tailgating Overnight Lot

I was thinking the other day that one way we, as fans, could improve the game day atmosphere would be to inquire/petition the athletics department about an overnight tailgating lot specifically for RVs. Some schools do this where they have a dedicated overnight lot that opens up Friday evening and closes down by noon on Sunday. I'm sure there are lots of logistics to hurdle with the SD Board of Regents on this one, but I'm not sure what the on-campus issues would be? The parking lot wouldn't be needed at those times for students, and you could stipulate that no fires/alcohol would be allowed outside of normal tailgate hours on Saturday. It seems like it would be a relatively low impact way to encourage more of a full weekend atmosphere, encourage more RVS tailgating (which adds a lot to the atmosphere), and encourages more out of town fans to come for the whole weekend. We have a dedicated RV lot, but it dosent allow overnight parking. Anyone have any insider info on why this hasn't ever happened at State? And would anyone be interested in collaborating and inquiring about it with the Athletics department if others are interested? Maybe it's just me, but I think a parking lot of 20 to 30 RV's on a Friday night and after the game Saturday would add a nice element to home game weekends each fall.

Thoughts?

Re: RV Tailgating Overnight Lot

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    I was thinking the other day that one way we, as fans, could improve the game day atmosphere would be to inquire/petition the athletics department about an overnight tailgating lot specifically for RVs. Some schools do this where they have a dedicated overnight lot that opens up Friday evening and closes down by noon on Sunday. I'm sure there are lots of logistics to hurdle with the SD Board of Regents on this one, but I'm not sure what the on-campus issues would be? The parking lot wouldn't be needed at those times for students, and you could stipulate that no fires/alcohol would be allowed outside of normal tailgate hours on Saturday. It seems like it would be a relatively low impact way to encourage more of a full weekend atmosphere, encourage more RVS tailgating (which adds a lot to the atmosphere), and encourages more out of town fans to come for the whole weekend. We have a dedicated RV lot, but it dosent allow overnight parking. Anyone have any insider info on why this hasn't ever happened at State? And would anyone be interested in collaborating and inquiring about it with the Athletics department if others are interested? Maybe it's just me, but I think a parking lot of 20 to 30 RV's on a Friday night and after the game Saturday would add a nice element to home game weekends each fall.

Thoughts?
    It seems like a great idea, but vacant space seems to be disappearing with all the construction that has gone on in the past few years. The area north of CAS has quickly developed and I suspect there would be hook up requirements for water and sewer disposal. So it would have to be committed area to RV's and would have to bring in revenue from other events to make it workable. That is my thoughts and it's time has come for to make game day a bigger and better event. I just can not picture a close by location. Except maybe the vacant rodeo ground on Medary just north of the Horse barns, that is not used that much.

Comment

Space is definitely limited. I'm not sure that hook up's would be required though, since most RVs can be self-contained. Electrical is probably the most necesarry, but I believe most could still manage on their own in their units for 36 hours or so.

Comment

Space is definitely limited. I'm not sure that hook up's would be required though, since most RVs can be self-contained. Electrical is probably the most necesarry, but I believe most could still manage on their own in their units for 36 hours or so.
        I have never owned an RV, so might just quit with the comments. This is a good idea

Comment

Space won’t be an issue. There’s plenty of tailgate room because currently our tailgating is awful. The new frost parking lot is a great example. Plenty of new room there.

I would make the east side stadium lot or the northwest lot for RVs. As for electricity, people just use quiet generators. It isn’t that hard. It would encourage RVs as it would give everyone a better reason to have one due to the parking location. You would also close down the parking lot at a certain time to prevent vehicles from moving in and out for safety.

I’ve been talking about this for a couple of years now. I’m sure UPD will find a reason to say no.
          Last edited by SDSUAlum08; 07-24-2019, 09:03 AM.
          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
            Space won’t be an issue. There’s plenty of tailgate room because currently our tailgating is awful. The new frost parking lot is a great example. Plenty of new room there.

I would make the east side stadium lot or the northwest lot for RVs. As for electricity, people just use quiet generators. It isn’t that hard. It would encourage RVs as it would give everyone a better reason to have one due to the parking location. You would also close down the parking lot at a certain time to prevent vehicles from moving in and out for safety.

I’ve been talking about this for two years and we’ve gotten nowhere. I’m sure UPD will find a reason to say no.
            Good old UPD. In my dealing with things of this nature in the past on campus, UPD was always the biggest hurdle. And I seriously have no idea how RVs staying overnight (not consuming alcohol) would add any headache to their hourly patrols up and down 12th Street that they already do. This should be a pretty easy thing to do a trial run and see if there are any problems.

Comment

Good old UPD. In my dealing with things of this nature in the past on campus, UPD was always the biggest hurdle. And I seriously have no idea how RVs staying overnight (not consuming alcohol) would add any headache to their hourly patrols up and down 12th Street that they already do. This should be a pretty easy thing to do a trial run and see if there are any problems.
              There would be some added security, but I can't believe it would be much of an issue. As far as alcohol is concerned, lets be honest. There will be some consumed outside of Saturday allotted hours. With common sense, it won't be a problem. With UPD offices adjacent to the east parking lot, you better use some common sense.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                There would be some added security, but I can't believe it would be much of an issue. As far as alcohol is concerned, lets be honest. There will be some consumed outside of Saturday allotted hours. With common sense, it won't be a problem. With UPD offices adjacent to the east parking lot, you better use some common sense.
                I figured that lot would be good because of UPD location and lighting at night.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Hadn't thought about that, but it would certainly make sense. I'm not sure how many current Van/RV/Sleeper Trailer setups we have on game days now, but I'd put the ballpark number at around 20 if you aren't counting everything inside the Backyard. I'm not sure if the idea would catch on since a lot of people are used to tailgating in their current spots with their rigs, but I guess that's what this thread is for. Guage interest and see if it's something enough people want to do. That lot east of the stadium is currently reserved for Jackrabbit club members only, but I'd think you could make the entire eastern row and aisle RV parking only. Charge $30 bucks per space to recover some of the revenue lost by eating up all those space's in the row west of that. There's also the lot directly east of the SJAC, but I think that's needed for players/coaches for parking. There's also a couple of lots near the PAC, and of course, the current RV lot over by the Animal Science arena.

Comment

Hadn't thought about that, but it would certainly make sense. I'm not sure how many current Van/RV/Sleeper Trailer setups we have on game days now, but I'd put the ballpark number at around 20 if you aren't counting everything inside the Backyard. I'm not sure if the idea would catch on since a lot of people are used to tailgating in their current spots with their rigs, but I guess that's what this thread is for. Guage interest and see if it's something enough people want to do. That lot east of the stadium is currently reserved for Jackrabbit club members only, but I'd think you could make the entire eastern row and aisle RV parking only. Charge $30 bucks per space to recover some of the revenue lost by eating up all those space's in the row west of that. There's also the lot directly east of the SJAC, but I think that's needed for players/coaches for parking. There's also a couple of lots near the PAC, and of course, the current RV lot over by the Animal Science arena.
                    I’d pay $750 to start per year and then increase it as demand increases...or expand.

Comment

Here is what Iowa does: https://footballgameday.hawkeyesports.com/rv-parking

Quick review doesn't mention what you can do after parking. I believe you can enjoy beverages, just not outside the lot.

500$ seems cheap for the season. Iowa is regularly having 7 home games, so that is gets to under 80$ a game.
                      Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                      -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Iowa State, NDSU, and many other schools do something similar. I think NDSU is first come first serve on Friday night and they assign you a specific spot to park once you're there. Not sure on the cost for those, but I'm sure they're similar. I think you start the price a little lower than that when it's just getting started, and increase as demand goes up. I think this is really doable, and if enough people contact the administration about it, we could probably at least try to make a push for it.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post
                          Here is what Iowa does: https://footballgameday.hawkeyesports.com/rv-parking

Quick review doesn't mention what you can do after parking. I believe you can enjoy beverages, just not outside the lot.

500$ seems cheap for the season. Iowa is regularly having 7 home games, so that is gets to under 80$ a game.
                          I know I would be all for something along those lines. If you’re tailgating with an RV you probably have a group you tailgate with anyways, so you should be able to split costs up somehow. It would also allow someone to do an all night smoke of some meat for the tailgate in the morning without having to worry about moving around. Promoting the RV rigs would make a huge difference in tailgating IMO. Get some people rolling in with some sweet set ups and you are going to have people who want to do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Love the idea - just don't think this would be a "build it and they will come" situation for us. We'd actually have to have rabid enough fans to devote 1 or 2 nights around an SDSU game. I personally don't see that happening.

More importantly, it would send a message that we are trying to be creative and enhance the tailgate experience.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                              Love the idea - just don't think this would be a "build it and they will come" situation for us. We'd actually have to have rabid enough fans to devote 1 or 2 nights around an SDSU game. I personally don't see that happening.

More importantly, it would send a message that we are trying to be creative and enhance the tailgate experience.
                              Certainly true on the demand factor. Thankfully, I think if four or five folks want to do it (myself included), it'd be a fun way to spend a few weekends each fall. That's reason enough for me. And if grows from there, that's awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X