Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019/2020 Lineup

Originally posted by TheWombat View Post
    I suspect that they kept all of the weights from last year. This may not be evidence that Price, Carlson and Mueller are staying up. If they do stay up, I think that Cade King at 174 is interesting, he could vie for the spot.
    If you go to Mueller's profile, Mueller is listed at 184 Weight Class for position but 197 for weight class. Odd but I think there is no shot Mueller stays at 197 if he wants to crack the lineup unless he got too big last year
    "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Remember the dark days when we couldn't fill a third of the weight classes so we lost most duals just on forfeits? What a balanced and talented roster! Lots to prove at the collegiate level but on paper this sure looks good.
      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Finding a spot for both Mueller and Sloan would not be a problem if collegiate wrestling had more weight classes in the upper weights. For the life of me, I still can't understand why there is no weight class between 197 and 285. I'd argue that heavyweight should have a limit of at least 300 lbs. and you could have two weight classes between 197 and 300 lbs. If you needed to keep rostered spots to 10 weight classes, eliminate two of the lighter weight classes.

Look at the typical size for collegiate athletes. They are much bigger than what they were when I went to college. (1980's)

The average weight for SDSU's football roster is 233 lbs. If you look at the basketball roster, the lightest player is Beau Brown at 175 lbs.

76% of the football roster would be classified as a heavyweight if they wrestled. (83 out of 109 rostered players weigh 200 lbs. or more.) Even the basketball roster would have over half of the roster that would only fit in the heavyweight classification.

There are four weight classes that are under 150 lbs. (125/133/141/149). With the football roster, you could possibly get two players that would fit in those four weight classes. Jake Wolfe weighs 150 lbs. and Shane Dailey weighs 155 lbs. If you consider the seven weight classes between 125 lbs. and 174 lbs., six current rostered football players could easily fit those weight classes.

Even high school wrestling has an extra weight class between 197 lbs. and 285 lbs. (Top three weight classes are 195/220/285.) So based on this criteria, you are eliminating some high school athletes from competing in collegiate wrestling.

I'd just like to see both Mueller and Sloan get to wrestle for the Rabbits this year at their natural weight class. If Mueller has to go down to 184 lbs., the domino effect happens and we start losing other good wrestlers from competing. It would take time for the NCAA to evaluate and make changes, but I think adding more heavier weight classes is long overdue.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
          Finding a spot for both Mueller and Sloan would not be a problem if collegiate wrestling had more weight classes in the upper weights. For the life of me, I still can't understand why there is no weight class between 197 and 285. I'd argue that heavyweight should have a limit of at least 300 lbs. and you could have two weight classes between 197 and 300 lbs. If you needed to keep rostered spots to 10 weight classes, eliminate two of the lighter weight classes.

Look at the typical size for collegiate athletes. They are much bigger than what they were when I went to college. (1980's)

The average weight for SDSU's football roster is 233 lbs. If you look at the basketball roster, the lightest player is Beau Brown at 175 lbs.

76% of the football roster would be classified as a heavyweight if they wrestled. (83 out of 109 rostered players weigh 200 lbs. or more.) Even the basketball roster would have over half of the roster that would only fit in the heavyweight classification.

There are four weight classes that are under 150 lbs. (125/133/141/149). With the football roster, you could possibly get two players that would fit in those four weight classes. Jake Wolfe weighs 150 lbs. and Shane Dailey weighs 155 lbs. If you consider the seven weight classes between 125 lbs. and 174 lbs., six current rostered football players could easily fit those weight classes.

Even high school wrestling has an extra weight class between 197 lbs. and 285 lbs. (Top three weight classes are 195/220/285.) So based on this criteria, you are eliminating some high school athletes from competing in collegiate wrestling.

I'd just like to see both Mueller and Sloan get to wrestle for the Rabbits this year at their natural weight class. If Mueller has to go down to 184 lbs., the domino effect happens and we start losing other good wrestlers from competing. It would take time for the NCAA to evaluate and make changes, but I think adding more heavier weight classes is long overdue.
          You're post makes so much sense there is almost a zero percent chance this happens......

Comment

Also from a fan perspective.... Give me an upper weight class match over the lower class matches any day as a spectator. I appreciate both but there's no denying that the power and throws of those top 2 or 3 weight classes are a crowd favorite. It's a shame there's not another 200+ class.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
              Also from a fan perspective.... Give me an upper weight class match over the lower class matches any day as a spectator. I appreciate both but there's no denying that the power and throws of those top 2 or 3 weight classes are a crowd favorite. It's a shame there's not another 200+ class.
              I guess I'm on the opposite end of that spectrum. Lots more action with the little guys flying around.

Comment

I'm not sure that I disagree with you but for parity's sake I'll mention the common response to this, that being that 197 and heavyweight are usually the thinnest weights in college wrestling. We lose many of out best upperweight prospects to football and it shows with the speed at which former 184 pounders and talented freshman move up the rankings. The argument is generally that, if we were to take 1/3 of the best wrestler from 197 and 285, we would further dilute what are already watered down weights.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                  Upper weights are usually pretty thin and hwt is by far the least aesthetically pleasing weight class

Comment

+1 spot on. Add 189 and 220

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

2019/2020 Lineup

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                      +1 spot on. Add 189 and 220

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                      Adding a weight class between 184 and 197 would be bad

Comment

I agree there should be a weight in between 197lb & HWT as there is essentially a "Cruiser Weight" class on the International scene (97kg = 213.4lbs). Wrestling really loses out on a lot of quality athletes that wrestle 220lb in HS but most likely pursue Football because their too small for HWT or may struggle to make 197lb. Also like the idea of raising the HWT Limit as I'm assuming kids like Nash Hutchmatcher probably would have struggled making weight in college. That's suggesting he would have preferred wrestling over football. Either we I would love to see 220lbs added to College and create an odd number lineup.

Either way I'm really excited to see Damion's kids start to make an impact on this roster!

Comment

2019/2020 Lineup

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
                          I agree there should be a weight in between 197lb & HWT as there is essentially a "Cruiser Weight" class on the International scene (97kg = 213.4lbs). Wrestling really loses out on a lot of quality athletes that wrestle 220lb in HS but most likely pursue Football because their too small for HWT or may struggle to make 197lb. Also like the idea of raising the HWT Limit as I'm assuming kids like Nash Hutchmatcher probably would have struggled making weight in college. That's suggesting he would have preferred wrestling over football. Either we I would love to see 220lbs added to College and create an odd number lineup.

Either way I'm really excited to see Damion's kids start to make an impact on this roster!
                          Adding a 220lb weight will not make athletes wrestle instead of play football in college. To add on that, wrestling at that weight in college and high school is not that good compared to the lower weights. The HWT limit could be 330lb and Nash wouldn't wrestle in college too

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                            Adding a 220lb weight will not make athletes wrestle instead of play football in college. To add on that, wrestling at that weight in college and high school is not that good compared to the lower weights. The HWT limit could be 330lb and Nash wouldn't wrestle in college too
                            Bro we get it, you hate the concept, don't have to bash everyone's opinion who likes the idea of 220lb. The Jacks would actually benefit from a weight class like this as someone Marty or Casperson will be odd man out between 184 & 197. Bono just nabbed the 2nd Ranked kid in the country who wrestles 220lb and the #1 kid in the country is a very big 197lb prospect. I follow this sport religiously, the athletes are there.

Comment

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
                              Bro we get it, you hate the concept, don't have to bash everyone's opinion who likes the idea of 220lb. The Jacks would actually benefit from a weight class like this as someone Marty or Casperson will be odd man out between 184 & 197. Bono just nabbed the 2nd Ranked kid in the country who wrestles 220lb and the #1 kid in the country is a very big 197lb prospect. I follow this sport religiously, the athletes are there.
                              I heavily disagreed with the concept of adding 220 will sway athletes to wrestle instead of play college football. Adding a 220 would probably require getting rid of a lower weight too. I'm all for more weights but not for getting rid of a lower weight for an upper weight

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                                I heavily disagreed with the concept of adding 220 will sway athletes to wrestle instead of play college football. Adding a 220 would probably require getting rid of a lower weight too. I'm all for more weights but not for getting rid of a lower weight for an upper weight
                                Not necessarily. Why not have 11 weights? It should help with less ties and would also bring more opportunities. I think a light heavyweight at 225 or 230 would be beneficial. Should also help with injuries that heavyweights have been prone too with knees and shoulders as we won’t be having a 215 lber get below a 275 lber this causing the injury. I see both sides but just think adding a weight would be more beneficial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X