2019/2020 Lineup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019/2020 Lineup

Flowrestling.org did their "Way Too Early Big XII Rankings". According to the article they reached out to all 12 coaches and received projected lineups from 7 of them, but they did not specify who. True Freshman or wrestlers that didn't compete (i.e. Danny Vega) were put at the bottom of the rankings by default. Unfortunately, judging by the back half projections, I don't believe Damian was one of the 7 coaches that were contacted. Still fun to look at event though we have a lot of unproven but high potential youngsters on the squad.

125lb. Danny Vega (Jr.) - #11
    133lb. Zach Price (RS FR) - #10
    141lb. Clay Carlson (RS FR) - #8
    149lb. Henry Pohlmeyer (SR) - #5
    157lb. Colton Carlson (JR) - #7
    165lb. Tanner Cook (FR) - #11 --> Do we have a Tanner Cook?? I would guess this will be between Kenny O'Neil (RS FR) or Cade DeVos (TR FR)
    174lb. Garrett Jordan (JR) - #11 --> Zach Carson drops down
    184lb. Zach Carlson (SR) - #4 --> Marty drops down
    197lb. Tanner Sloan (RS FR) - #1
    HWT. Blake Wolters (JR) - #9 --> Possibly a wrestle off between him and Trenary

Team Rankings - SDSU is projected to finish 9th out of 12

Re: 2019/2020 Lineup

I would like to see Colton Carlson go up to 165. He's just not keeping up with some athletic 157 pounders and he is plenty big for the weight. I thought that he and Peterson should have switched spots last year. If he goes up, I think that Laken Cook is a good option at 157. I'd rather have Laken Cook in the lineup than Tanner Cook or Kenny O'Neil. If Carlson does stay down, I'd like to see them consider pulling DeVos depending on how he and Tanner Cook are looking. I really hope that Zach Carlson and Marty Mueller are able to make it down to 184 and 174 respectively; if they don't, we are looking at a pretty sizable hole at 174, probably with a 165 pounder wrestling up. I feel like Trenary is going to need a redshirt; he was playing a whole different sport in highschool with all of the pushing contests that he was involved in and I suspect that he'll need time to adjust to the leg attack game.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWombat View Post
      I would like to see Colton Carlson go up to 165. He's just not keeping up with some athletic 157 pounders and he is plenty big for the weight. I thought that he and Peterson should have switched spots last year. If he goes up, I think that Laken Cook is a good option at 157. I'd rather have Laken Cook in the lineup than Tanner Cook or Kenny O'Neil. If Carlson does stay down, I'd like to see them consider pulling DeVos depending on how he and Tanner Cook are looking. I really hope that Zach Carlson and Marty Mueller are able to make it down to 184 and 174 respectively; if they don't, we are looking at a pretty sizable hole at 174, probably with a 165 pounder wrestling up. I feel like Trenary is going to need a redshirt; he was playing a whole different sport in highschool with all of the pushing contests that he was involved in and I suspect that he'll need time to adjust to the leg attack game.
      Who is Tanner Cook? Was he a midseason addition like Vega? He's not listed on GoJacks.com and I don't think he's an incoming freshmen. I don't know anything about Laken Cook, so i'll take your word on him. However, Kenny had a pretty strong redshirt season. He wasn't healthy at all but Marty sure seem to get rag dolled at 197 after a breakout year at 184. I think he can make the cut but Z. Carlson looks like a big boy. Would agree on Trenary, college HWTs are no longer fat boys, they are all freak athletes, so I would image there will be an adjustment.

Comment

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
        Who is Tanner Cook? Was he a midseason addition like Vega? He's not listed on GoJacks.com and I don't think he's an incoming freshmen. I don't know anything about Laken Cook, so i'll take your word on him. However, Kenny had a pretty strong redshirt season. He wasn't healthy at all but Marty sure seem to get rag dolled at 197 after a breakout year at 184. I think he can make the cut but Z. Carlson looks like a big boy. Would agree on Trenary, college HWTs are no longer fat boys, they are all freak athletes, so I would image there will be an adjustment.
        I don't know if you're familiar with wrestlestat.com but they are a super good resource for stuff like this; https://www.wrestlestat.com/team/68/...-state/profile.

Laken Cook was a transfer last year from App State where he was a mid-range starter. He didn't turn many heads last year but he should be a serviceable starter.

Tanner Cook is a transfer from Finger Lakes wrestling club (where Cornell sends their wrestlers to "gray shirt") he was a New York state champ and was 17-8 over the past two seasons wrestling a pretty tough schedule.

I'm not sold on O'Neil yet; he had quite a few non-DI losses that kind of concern me and no real marque wins. That said, Pohlmeyer had a similar record as a freshman and he turned out alright.

Comment

2019/2020 Lineup

Will be interesting to see what Mueller does. Will he drop down to 184 as he isn't going to beat Sloan. I really hope Coapstick redshirts as he needs it. Sloan was ranked #1 at 197 in Big 12 preseason rankings as well
          "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by TheWombat View Post
            I don't know if you're familiar with wrestlestat.com but they are a super good resource for stuff like this; https://www.wrestlestat.com/team/68/...-state/profile.

Laken Cook was a transfer last year from App State where he was a mid-range starter. He didn't turn many heads last year but he should be a serviceable starter.

Tanner Cook is a transfer from Finger Lakes wrestling club (where Cornell sends their wrestlers to "gray shirt") he was a New York state champ and was 17-8 over the past two seasons wrestling a pretty tough schedule.

I'm not sold on O'Neil yet; he had quite a few non-DI losses that kind of concern me and no real marque wins. That said, Pohlmeyer had a similar record as a freshman and he turned out alright.
            Ah thank you Sir! Was hoping to come across a "Verbal Commits" type site for wrestling. Now i remember hearing about a Transfer from FLWC but never put 2 & 2 together. 157lb & 165lb will be interesting to watch to see if someone already in the room makes a big leap or if a new guy(s) slides in there. Also curious to see where Casperson fits in with Sloan clearly the top guy at 97. Maybe he puts his hat in the race at 84?

Comment

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
              Ah thank you Sir! Was hoping to come across a "Verbal Commits" type site for wrestling. Now i remember hearing about a Transfer from FLWC but never put 2 & 2 together. 157lb & 165lb will be interesting to watch to see if someone already in the room makes a big leap or if a new guy(s) slides in there. Also curious to see where Casperson fits in with Sloan clearly the top guy at 97. Maybe he puts his hat in the race at 84?
              I believe Casperson is going 184

Comment

Be nice to see the new roster posted.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                  Be nice to see the new roster posted.
                  https://twitter.com/caldwell_cody/st...828765184?s=19

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

https://gojacks.com/roster.aspx?rost...path=wrestling

Ethan Bowman 125
                    Gregory Coapstick 125
                    Daniel Kimball 125
                    Kahlen Morris 125
                    Danny Vega 125
                    Trayton Anderson 133
                    Caleb Gross 133
                    Rylee Molitor 133
                    Clay Carlson 141
                    Caden Lamer 141
                    Zach Price 141
                    Aric Williams 141
                    Henry Pohlmeyer 149
                    Peyton Smith 149
                    Colten Carlson 157
                    Laken Cook 157
                    Dalton Lakmann 157
                    Tanner Cook 165
                    Cade DeVos 165
                    Kelby Hawkins 165
                    Skyler Noftsger 165
                    Kenny O'Neil 165
                    Garrett Jordan 174
                    Cade King 174
                    Jacob Schoon 174
                    Devon Sievers 174
                    Zach Carlson 184
                    Nick Casperson 184
                    Samuel Grove 184
                    Caleb Orris 184
                    Martin Mueller 197
                    Tanner Sloan 197
                    Alex Aarsvold 285
                    Bowen McConville 285
                    Spencer Trenary 285
                    Blake Wolters 285

Comment

Soooooo, 197 is going to be interesting. Tanner is possibly our best wrestler right now after spending the summer wrestling for USA Wrestling, but Martin is a senior who has worked hard for years for the team. I would love to see Tanner wrestle, but Martin has definitely earned the spot, too.
                      Rollin' in my 5.0
                      With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                      Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

The better wrestler should be starting.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                          The better wrestler should be starting.
                          THIS^^^^

Comment

I suspect that they kept all of the weights from last year. This may not be evidence that Price, Carlson and Mueller are staying up. If they do stay up, I think that Cade King at 174 is interesting, he could vie for the spot.

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
                              Soooooo, 197 is going to be interesting. Tanner is possibly our best wrestler right now after spending the summer wrestling for USA Wrestling, but Martin is a senior who has worked hard for years for the team. I would love to see Tanner wrestle, but Martin has definitely earned the spot, too.
                              Sloan has huge AA potential written all over him as a freshman. You don't keep him off the mat for Mueller

Comment

Working...
                              X