No announcement yet.

St. Thomas to Summit / Missouri Valley?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: St. Thomas to Summit / Missouri Valley?

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
    The only dreamers seem to be Kelby and the SF media hacks. Nobody else wants Augie in the league.
    I’m just worried that if Sanford wants them in the league they’ll get in and let’s be serious it’d be good for Sanford to have a DI institution in their city. Sanford can hang sponsorship money over several of the schools in the league to get the votes I’d think.

Comment

Despite the Sioux Falls media's constant, fawning reports about Augie going D-1, I don't think it's a sure thing that the Summit takes them, especially with St. Thomas coming aboard.
      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
        Despite the Sioux Falls media's constant, fawning reports about Augie going D-1, I don't think it's a sure thing that the Summit takes them, especially with St. Thomas coming aboard.
        I don't see why not. 10 schools makes more sense than 9 just from a scheduling standpoint, not to mention long term viability of the league. If I'm the rest of the Dakota schools I don't want them, but their hands may be tied by Sanford

Comment

NDSU-UND
          SDSU-USD
          UMKC-ORU
          Denver-UST
          WIU-Omaha

That is 10 schools......No need for Augie until another bolts. Sanford is going to have to be content with having the tournament in SF for now. 11 is not a good number.

Comment

I have a feeling that by 2021 St Thomas’ invite from the Summit League won’t be their only invite/option.

Just sayin’...MVC
            SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
              I have a feeling that by 2021 St Thomas’ invite from the Summit League won’t be their only invite/option.

Just sayin’...MVC
              The MVC has 10 schools, they won't even look at UST until they have finished their transition. They will have the Summit do all the heavy lifiting.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                I’m just worried that if Sanford wants them in the league they’ll get in and let’s be serious it’d be good for Sanford to have a DI institution in their city. Sanford can hang sponsorship money over several of the schools in the league to get the votes I’d think.
                I have this feeling that is what is happening. It reminds me of Ole Bull, the Norwegian musician, who was very involved in immigration to the USA. He bought land in upper state New York and it was his dream colony that failed miserably. Fast forward to the late 1950’s and a group known as the Kingston Trio, had a big hit called Oleana, a song about Ole Bull colony failure. I dont recall the lyrics but it dealt with cows that milked themselves and chickens who served the residents eggs, a vision that may come true in SF or a failure to write a song about. Heaven help us if Augie hires Learfield Sports to work on their corporate sponsorships. I wonder if Learfield will be party to such a contract since they are very much part of SDSU and USD corporate sponsorship. Learfield I t was told my a staff member has more than doubled the Corporate sponsorship at SDSU.
                Last edited by Nidaros; 10-06-2019, 08:29 AM.

Comment

NDSU-UND
                  SDSU-USD
                  UMKC-ORU
                  Denver-UST
                  WIU-Omaha

That is 10 schools......No need for Augie until another bolts. Sanford is going to have to be content with having the tournament in SF for now. 11 is not a good number.
                  11 does seem odd but not to our Moorhead hero, Kelby Krabbenhoft.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                    Let's be brutally honest here:

Augustana looks a LOT more like Centenary College than it does like St. Thomas.
                    I have no real dog in the fight, but comparing Centenary College to Augie is not accurate in my opinion. Although Shreveport and Sioux Falls have similar populations, which is around 188,000, Shreveport is losing population while Sioux Falls is growing. Projections are that Sioux Falls will grow 200,000 people in the next 30 years, which makes it near 1/2 million for a metro population. Secondly, Centenary College does not have the financial backing that Augie has and will have. Denny Sanford is worth 2.7 billion dollars and if he and Kelby want this to be something to invest in, than it will get their full backing. Also, do not downplay the opportunity for other corporations to join in on a Division I school in Sioux Falls. I have no knowledge of Centenary's academic standing, but I don't think anyone would say that Augie is not a good academic school. Will all of this guarantee success for Augie? I don't know, but comparing them to Centenary is a bit short-sighted in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      11 does seem odd but not to our Moorhead hero, Kelby Krabbenhoft.
                      There are more D1 conferences with 11 schools than there are with 10 (or will be at least when all of the current changes have occurred.)

11 Team Conferences (or soon to be)
                      American Athletic
                      Big East
                      Big Sky
                      Big South
                      Big West
                      Horizon
                      Metro Atlantic
                      Mid Eastern
                      Mountain West
                      Northeast

10 Team Conferences (or soon to be)
                      Atlantic Sun
                      Big 12
                      Colonial
                      Missouri Valley
                      Patriot
                      Southern
                      Southwestern
                      Summit
                      West Coast

Although 10 or 12 of which there are only 4 conferences, may be ideal in some respects the advantages don't appear to be very significant when there are more conferences with 11 than with either 10 or 12., I expect the Summit will also be an 11 team conference in the near future unless someone else leaves or St. Thomas doesn't get their waver.

Comment

NDSU-UND
                        SDSU-USD
                        UMKC-ORU
                        Denver-UST
                        WIU-Omaha

Forgot about UMKC. not a hard thing to do...

Comment

The
                          Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                          There are more D1 conferences with 11 schools than there are with 10 (or will be at least when all of the current changes have occurred.)

11 Team Conferences (or soon to be)
                          American Athletic
                          Big East
                          Big Sky
                          Big South
                          Big West
                          Horizon
                          Metro Atlantic
                          Mid Eastern
                          Mountain West
                          Northeast

10 Team Conferences (or soon to be)
                          Atlantic Sun
                          Big 12
                          Colonial
                          Missouri Valley
                          Patriot
                          Southern
                          Southwestern
                          Summit
                          West Coast

Although 10 or 12 of which there are only 4 conferences, may be ideal in some respects the advantages don't appear to be very significant when there are more conferences with 11 than with either 10 or 12., I expect the Summit will also be an 11 team conference in the near future unless someone else leaves or St. Thomas doesn't get their waver.
                          There you go! As Rabbitball pointed out they forgot UMKC which would make the Summit 12 for now. Its up to the NCAA and consideration of a waiver. I would think being asked to leave the MIAC would weigh into that decision. it will be interesting to follow.
                          Last edited by Nidaros; 10-07-2019, 05:19 AM. Reason: Added to post

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                            There you go! As Rabbitball pointed out they forgot UMKC which would make the Summit 12 for now. Its up to the NCAA and consideration of a waiver. I would think being asked to leave the MIAC would weigh into that decision. it will be interesting to follow.
                            Summit only has 9 now - UMKC is joining while (I)PFW is leaving - keeping it at 9. The addition of St. Thomas makes 10.

Unless I am going on bad information.
                            Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                            -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post

Just sayin’...MVC
                              I think it's a little premature to be planning their next move. They would to show they can be successful before moving on. I have also seen discussion about them moving onto the Big East. This seems a big far fetched to me. Maybe in 15-20 years, but nothing immediate. Even if they do have success, there are still A10 schools like St. Louis, Dayton, etc. that would be in the mix too.

The MVC could be an eventual destination if they go to 12 schools in the future, but again I think St. Thomas would have to be completed with their transition to DI and show that they can compete. Even if the MVC did take St. Thomas, that might prevent them from poaching another school from our league (not sure who would be in the mix). I guess it's a numbers game, and having another DI school in our region is a big positive in my eyes.

Comment

Also, with the addition of St. Thomas we will have league schools in Minneapolis-St. Paul, Omaha, Kansas City and Denver. This is pretty remarkable for us! From a recruiting standpoint for both student athletes as well as general students, this is important. There are a lot of high schools in these metro areas and they are already primary target areas for our university. This also has to be where the majority of our alums live out-of-state. Great opportunities to connect with perspective students as well as Alumni!

Comment

Working...
                                X