Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: St. Thomas to Summit / Missouri Valley?

Default Re: Augie to the Summit?

Quote Originally Posted by JackJD View Post
    Charlie Walters, a sports columnist for the St. Paul Pioneer Press, on 7/27/19 reported the following rumor he heard:

"A little birdie says St. Thomas, ousted by the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Association, could end up in the Division I Pioneer League for football and the Division I Summit League for its other sports. The university recently hired two assistant athletics directors."

That's the entire comment. Walters used the words "could end up" so there's nothing concrete. Personally, I'd like to see St. Thomas in the Summit before Augustana. I don't like the idea of Augie being in the Summit.

Here's the link...you have to scroll down to near the end of the column.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/07/2...-twins-pohlad/

Having a conference mate in the Twin Cities should be a goal and I don't know what other school could accomplish the D1 move other than St. Thomas.
    Much better choice than Augie. I don’t hate Augie. I just don’t see how South Dakota can have three D1 schools and be successful. I believe the $$ will be spread too thin.
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

St Thomas in Minn would give Minn two Div 1 schools, plus ,if Augie goes Div 1, that's three Div 1 schools in SD, plus Div 1 in ND (2), NE (3), Ia (4)....that's 14 Div 1 institutions in our 5 state region...the P-5 Universities don't rely so heavily on local recruitment as the others. but still take out of the local pool of recruits (just generally go for the best ones). That would put a bigger strain on recruiting in my opinion, coaches would have to work much harder and cast a bigger net, much farther out to get really good players like we're used to getting. It might lead to watering down the quality of our programs in the region a little bit too if recruitment suffers.Positive might be long term stability for the Conference.Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
    Much better choice than Augie. I don’t hate Augie. I just don’t see how South Dakota can have three D1 schools and be successful. I believe the $$ will be spread too thin.
    St. Thomas would be an amazing addition. Augie would be a better conference mate in all sports than Western Illinois or IPFW. Better following, facilities, coaches...

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
    Agreed. Bring on St. Thomas. There's not enough corporate support in South Dakota to support three D-1 schools.
    Peace. Love. Coffee. Jackrabbits.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    Agreed. Bring on St. Thomas. There's not enough corporate support in South Dakota to support three D-1 schools.
    USD will get hurt. SDSU not so much. Conference games against Augie in the Pentagon will be a blast.

I moved some posts here from the Augie thread just because.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Default Re: St. Thomas to Summit / Missouri Valley?

And, to re-set the reply-to thread title to THIS thread's title, here's a placeholder post.
    "I think we'll be OK"