Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Jacks @ Gophers

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Here's coach PJ Fleck's 8/25/19 press conference focusing on the SDSU game. He responds to a question on the Jacks early in the conference and late in the conference takes a couple more questions about the 'Rabbits. Both teams go into this game without knowing a great deal about the opponent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZVrvKv6NkY
    14:32 mark if you want to skip to most of his comments about SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
      For me it is about in-game adjustments, which historically we've been rally good at.
      I agree with slosho's comment but what will be interesting is the impact of coaching changes, particularly the defensive coordinators. We're fortunate in having continuity with coaches who have been in the program so I'm not too concerned (and I like what I've heard about seeing more blitzing etc. this year).

And continuing with the historical context, the Jacks program is at the level where just making the playoffs, while certainly laudable, is expected -- now we want to be in the championship game and bring home the FCS trophy. Playing an FBS school has a different feel compared to years ago. And I think the sportswriters are no longer writing the "chip-on-the-shoulder-because-I-wasn't-recruited-by -the-Gophers" (or at least they shouldn't be turning to that hackneyed approach) with our team. Rozeboom and company will make their presence known with hits as fast and hard as they'll find anywhere. And I think Pierre Strong and Mikey Daniels et al. will establish themselves early.

On paper the Gophers look as big and strong as they've been in many years. Bottom line, both teams will early-on settle into a hard-nosed football game and I think there will be a lot of action in the middle of the field. I think of the first game we played at Nebraska when it should have been either the Jacks winning by a score or at least the game tied 17-17 late. One of my favorite pictures from that game is a couple of our linemen absolutely flattening the Nebraska line. Having 22 additional scholarships suggests time is on the Gophers' side: But, all the good recruiting we've been doing tells me that we'll be in this dogfight all four quarters and if we're in the game at the start of the fourth, we'll go on to win it.

Rabbits 24, Gophers 17.

I'm looking forward to the drive in Thursday morning and tailgating with Gopher and SDSU friends.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
        14:32 mark if you want to skip to most of his comments about SDSU.
        I'm impressed we have a returning 4 time All-American linebacker.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          I'm looking forward to the drive in Thursday morning and tailgating with Gopher and SDSU friends.
          Speaking of this... I know there's the SDSU Alumni tailgate at the McNamara alumni center across the street from the stadium: https://twitter.com/Jackgating/statu...973520386?s=20

Anyone else planning to tailgate with a group of Jacks fans? If so, where can you be found? I'll be wandering around with some Gopher fans, but wanted to be sure to stop by if there's going to be a group there.

Comment

Vinatieri wins it with his foot in dramatic style as time is running out, down to last seconds, he's a Vinatieri after all, have to have at least one of those in his great college career......20-17 Jacks in a dog fight

Comment

Here's the 2 deep for this week. https://twitter.com/argusmattz/statu...367991814?s=21

No Elijah Wilson listed? Did I miss something? Other guys just out play him?

Interesting how the LBs are listed, with Seven Wilson and Levi Brown as starters with Logan Backhaus backing up both. If they both won the job over Backhaus, that's impressive and huge for our LB depth.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                Here's the 2 deep for this week. https://twitter.com/argusmattz/statu...367991814?s=21

Interesting how the LBs are listed, with Seven Wilson and Levi Brown as starters with Logan Backhaus backing up both. If they both won the job over Backhaus, that's impressive and huge for our LB depth.
                I was thinking with Wilson he is still battling the injury bug, although it wouldn't surprise me if the other guys outplayed as well.

The Backhaus situation is interesting...he's listed with Seven as an OR but I'm guessing Logan will be all over the field.

Two things jump out to me, 2 trues in the LB rotation already AND Grant Schmidt may actually play a meaningful snap of college FB. He's had years of nagging injuries and rehab. Hope the best for him.

Comment

Is Zy Mosley gone? I thought he was jr last yr.
                  Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

I found the depth chart to be a little surprising in multiple spots. Must have been an interesting fall camp or maybe this is a situational game where coaches are trying to accomplish different things at different positions.

Offense

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post

Elijah is injured but should be back by conference play. Greutz is also injured and I imagine he'll be ahead of Schmidt once healthy again.

The one thing I am happy to see is that Jaxon is ahead of Jacob Brown. I was slightly worried we were going to go seniority over talent but that doesn't appear to be the case in this instance.

My eyebrows are raised at the linebackers but I think it may be more of a game. Jimmy told me in my interview that Backhaus will be the swing backer. Seven or Levi will start given the matchup. With the U looking to run the ball, Seven will likely start, Logan opposite him and Levi will be the sub. A game like UNI with a stud TE, Levi Brown will likely start and Logan will move over to the other OLB spot and Seven will be the sub.
                      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Elijah Wilson not making the depth chart at DE is a bit of a surprise. (Thanks for clearing up the injury status - WestSide.) Austin Smenda losing his starting spot also fits in the surprise category for me too. Winkelman and Ogunrinde flashed potential last year and their off season work must warrant their spots on the one side of the line. I didn't see Cade Terveer bumping Wilson from the depth chart, much less competing with Smenda for the 2nd spot behind Earith.

I hate to speculate on Smenda's position in the rotation. I'm just hoping the others mentioned here earned their spots.

Recruiting future Minnesota talent may have a very small influence being reflected in the depth chart. For Winkelman, Ogunrinde, and Hildahl, this has to be a nice reward for hard work to earn their spots against their home state Gophers.

Comment

Originally posted by Gojacks2487 View Post
                          Is Zy Mosley gone? I thought he was jr last yr.
                          Left the team for personal reasons.

Comment

Just like every season, da_coach is worried about this one. (I usually settle in as the season goes along)

I think Minnesota is good. I think Fleck has them moving in the right direction, and us on the road with a 1st time starting quarterback (regardless of talent, which J'bore has) just makes me nervous.

I'm always nervous when I hear the other team's lines are good in games like this. I smell a whooping is coming, and I hope I am wrong.

Doesn't mean we can't or won't have a good season. But I don't have a lot of confidence, right now.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                              Just like every season, da_coach is worried about this one. (I usually settle in as the season goes along)

I think Minnesota is good. I think Fleck has them moving in the right direction, and us on the road with a 1st time starting quarterback (regardless of talent, which J'bore has) just makes me nervous.

I'm always nervous when I hear the other team's lines are good in games like this. I smell a whooping is coming, and I hope I am wrong.

Doesn't mean we can't or won't have a good season. But I don't have a lot of confidence, right now.
                              If it's any consolation their lines aren't THAT good. The offensive line is big but they certainly aren't All-Americans. The defensive line outside of Carter Coughlin is average at best for the FBS level.

I'm feeling more and more optimistic by the day. I know TCF bank stadium isn't a crazy atmosphere anyways but the UM students don't move back in until this weekend and the elderly fanbase isn't known for being loud.
                              Last edited by WestSideRabbit; 08-27-2019, 12:09 PM.
                              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

I don't think the 2019 Minnesota O and D lines are better than the 2014 Mizzou lines that made the SEC Championship game. But I do think the 2019 Jackrabbit lines are better than the 2014 lines, especially on the defensive side of the ball. I'll be disappointed if they dominate us in the trenches.

And to Westside's point, TCF bank is not a difficult place to play by FBS standards. It'll be 65 degrees at kickoff, likely 2/3rd full, with a low stadium pitch. We've played well in tougher venues. I agree that it isn't an ideal place for Gibbs to start his college career, but I'm confodent that the coaches have game planned and schemed well enough that it isn't all on his shoulders anyways. All reports are that Gibbs is a cool customer, and I don't think he's going to be overwhelmed Thursday night.

Comment

Working...
                                X