Jacks @ Gophers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jacks @ Gophers

I see that the Jacks have an offensive preview out. Can you direct me to the site that has your defensive starters and Bios?
    Georgia Southern Football - Out weighed, but seldom outplayed
    www.gsufans.com

Comment

Originally posted by GSUsTALON View Post
      I see that the Jacks have an offensive preview out. Can you direct me to the site that has your defensive starters and Bios?
      Go check out Matt's Stuff (WestSideRabbit on this forum) search JackrabbitIillistrated, or https://jackrabbitillustrated.blogspot.com/

Bio's ETC on Gojacks.com

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
        Go check out Matt's Stuff (WestSideRabbit on this forum) search JackrabbitIillistrated, or https://jackrabbitillustrated.blogspot.com/

Bio's ETC on Gojacks.com
        I must be looking it up wrong. I only see offensive players.
        www.gsufans.com

Comment

I must be looking it up wrong. I only see offensive players.
          WestSide hasn't got to the defensive previews yet. Matt Zimmer, the Argus Leader writer that covers SDSU sports, has these previews:

DL: https://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...nt/1822948001/
          LBs: https://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...it/1823031001/
          DBs: https://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...ld/1823062001/
          ST: https://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...on/1823131001/
          OL: https://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...ts/1822865001/
          TE: https://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...ng/1822844001/
          WR: https://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...ck/1822813001/
          RB: https://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...ks/1813962001/
          QB: https://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...mp/1808300001/

Comment

TALON to C.H.

Your defensive LBs are of good weight, about 220lbs each and all seem to be between 6'2 and 6'4. As long as they can execute their position , have the quickness and speed they should give the gophers some trouble. GSU runs a 3-4 defense now. Our defensive linemen and LBs are not as tall as yours.

2018 gophers stats 280 passing & 180 rushing per game. You would think they could rush more with the large OL they have.

I think GSU will have to use a tough nickel back a 3rd of the time.
            www.gsufans.com

Comment

This is a really good piece by Zimmer regarding the co-DCs: https://amp.argusleader.com/amp/1936...mpression=true

The last handful of paragraphs are very interesting and elude to what we've all been wanting so badly... A more aggressive, less vanilla/predictable defense. There's a quote from Stig saying “I’d prefer to rush four and play base defense, but I’ve got to release them. You name a guy coordinator, let him coordinate.”... Obviously we'll have to see it to believe it, but holy **** that was a breath of fresh air. Can't wait to see what Rogers/Bergstrom do with the defense.

Comment

From Argus Leader

""That doesn’t mean wholesale changes are coming – Bergstrom and Rogers both worked well with Brown. The Jacks will still run a 4-3 and they’re not going to suddenly come up with a lot of exotic looks and coverages. But the reality is the SDSU defense hasn’t been as good as the offense the last few years. They’ve struggled to get off the field at times, and had a particularly bad day in last year’s playoff loss to North Dakota State. It’s time to try some new things.
                “We’ll play a little different,” Rogers said. “We’ll be more aggressive, try to create an attacking approach but simplify it down enough that guys can play as true freshmen. We’re excited about that.”
                Said Bergstrom: “Our players didn’t respond to anything like, ‘Man, these are big changes’. Everything is still coming from within so the players had a great sense of comfort and confidence in us. It’s not like their whole world is changing. We’ve just tried to make tweaks like we would any offseason to make us better.”""

TALON - You have talked about the Gophers 400lb lineman and the Gophers sing his praise.

IDEA

I've seen this Idea before it was used ahainst GSC when we played an FCS team. If the 400 Pounder is in the down position) you could back your Defensive linemen that covers him back 1 foot. Instead of trying to fight around him have that one line man drive through his thighs/midsection and just take him out of the play. That 1 foot should allow your lineman to get to his midsection and drive thus taking their best blocker out and stopping him from moving side to side & not allowing the heifer up under the lineman's shoulder pads where he could maneuver your lineman or drive him backwards.. This would place more pressure on your middle or outside linebacker, but from what I've read you have good linebackers.

TALON

www.gsufans.com
                Last edited by GSUsTALON; 08-12-2019, 11:46 AM.
                www.gsufans.com

Comment

you could back your Defensive linemen that covers him back 1 foot
                  Lol, it's funny that you suggest this, because not that long ago SDSU tried this across the whole D line and it failed horribly. That suggestion isn't going to get any traction here.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                    Lol, it's funny that you suggest this, because not that long ago SDSU tried this across the whole D line and it failed horribly. That suggestion isn't going to get any traction here.
                    I was thinking the same thing, as a lot of Jackrabbit fans probably were.

Comment

If I see anything close to this again I will be extremely upset. Never understood the logic behind it. I know theres a photo out there somewhere of us against NDSU a few years ago where late in the game they had a 3rd and 1 or something close and it shows our d-line all 2+ yards back of the ball.

Comment

***I wouldn't use it across the entire 4-3 line nor on every play especially if the FAT 400 was standing for pass protection,

With the exception of the FAT 400 the rest of your linemen should be able to handle the rest of the Gopher line!
                        www.gsufans.com

Comment

***I wouldn't use it across the entire 4-3 line nor on every play especially if the FAT 400 was standing for pass protection,

With the exception of the FAT 400 the rest of your linemen should be able to handle the rest of the Gopher line!
                          Don't discard the Gophers offensive line. Their right side is really talented (and BIG)! Everybody knows about Daniel Faalele because he's 6'9" and 400 lbs. However, Curtis Dunlap was the higher rated recruit coming out of Florida. Both are 4-star recruits and are deceptively athletic for their size. Dunlap just looks smaller, because at 6'5", 345 lbs. Both started as true freshmen against Georgia Tech in their bowl game, where they paved the way for 260 yards of rushing. Connor Olson, the lightweight of the line at 305 lbs., has started every game for the Gophers during the last two years. Gopher pundits believe he's the anchor of the unit. He will either start at LG or center. Blaise Andries, from Marshall, MN, started 12 games at RG and the bowl game at LT during his redshirt freshman season. If Olson plays center, expect Andries to start at RG. John Schmitz could start at center if Olson plays RG. Schmitz didn't start, but played in all 13 games as a redshirt freshman. LT is the biggest question mark for the Gophers. It could be manned by Andries, Sam Schleuter, or Jason Dickson. Schleuter started 7 games last year, but struggled against speed rushers. Dickson was expected to take control of the position as a JUCO transfer who redshirted for the Gophers last year. He hasn't locked up the position yet.

Needless to say, the Gophers likely have the biggest offensive line in college football this year. Some B1G Ten experts believe they have the best line in the west division of the conference. By no means do I expect the Jackrabbits to control the line of scrimmage when we play them. I'm hoping we can slow down their run game and grind it out when we have the ball. If we can hold them to less than 30 points, we could cover the spread. Win the turnover battle by two and we could win this game.

I think the main reason the point spread is as low as it is, is that this game will likely have a vanilla offensive scheme on both sides. Both teams will try to run the ball and that will keep the clock rolling. That will likely make this a lower scoring game.

Comment

Oh boy it looks like trouble to me.
                            Last edited by Nidaros; 08-12-2019, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                              Don't discard the Gophers offensive line. Their right side is really talented (and BIG)! Everybody knows about Daniel Faalele because he's 6'9" and 400 lbs. However, Curtis Dunlap was the higher rated recruit coming out of Florida. Both are 4-star recruits and are deceptively athletic for their size. Dunlap just looks smaller, because at 6'5", 345 lbs. Both started as true freshmen against Georgia Tech in their bowl game, where they paved the way for 260 yards of rushing. Connor Olson, the lightweight of the line at 305 lbs., has started every game for the Gophers during the last two years. Gopher pundits believe he's the anchor of the unit. He will either start at LG or center. Blaise Andries, from Marshall, MN, started 12 games at RG and the bowl game at LT during his redshirt freshman season. If Olson plays center, expect Andries to start at RG. John Schmitz could start at center if Olson plays RG. Schmitz didn't start, but played in all 13 games as a redshirt freshman. LT is the biggest question mark for the Gophers. It could be manned by Andries, Sam Schleuter, or Jason Dickson. Schleuter started 7 games last year, but struggled against speed rushers. Dickson was expected to take control of the position as a JUCO transfer who redshirted for the Gophers last year. He hasn't locked up the position yet.

Needless to say, the Gophers likely have the biggest offensive line in college football this year. Some B1G Ten experts believe they have the best line in the west division of the conference. By no means do I expect the Jackrabbits to control the line of scrimmage when we play them. I'm hoping we can slow down their run game and grind it out when we have the ball. If we can hold them to less than 30 points, we could cover the spread. Win the turnover battle by two and we could win this game.

I think the main reason the point spread is as low as it is, is that this game will likely have a vanilla offensive scheme on both sides. Both teams will try to run the ball and that will keep the clock rolling. That will likely make this a lower scoring game.
                              I’m not sold that this will be an amazing Goohers team because they ended with two good games. I know their W was their USeD moment vs us someday, but I don’t think just covering the spread is an acceptable goal to have when we play a FBS team. They aren’t a top 15 team or something, we should be able to make this a game into the 4th for sure and not be shocked by a win. With the talent we have across the board with only question marks at qb and the dbs, we should be at a point where we go toe to toe with them. I’m not predicting a win but a loss over 2 scores would be disappointing to me.
                              Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post

OMG the Gophers are comming. 1ith by beer and 2ith by liquor!

GH- - "Needless to say, the Gophers likely have the biggest offensive line in college football this year."

Yet defensive coaching, speed and quickness kills!
                                www.gsufans.com

Comment

Working...
                                X