• Q&A w/ Justin Sell

Zim had a great Q&A w/ Justin Sell.
    https://t.co/SHScJrcZ1U

Re: Q&A w/ Justin Sell

Pretty great article.
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

I'm glad he finally got to the most important topic at the end.

For real though... Who's going to step in and be that big donor that gets the frost arena project going?

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
        I'm glad he finally got to the most important topic at the end.
        I do hate to see alcohol being abused though.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The very hint of an inkling of a thought that Sell one day might get a P5 job offer and move on to greener pastures terrifies me more than the departure of any coach at SDSU.

Pay that man whatever he wants. He knows what he's doing.

The good news is it sounds like he really likes where he is right now. Let's keep it that way!
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            The very hint of an inkling of a thought that Sell one day might get a P5 job offer and move on to greener pastures terrifies me more than the departure of any coach at SDSU.

The good news is it sounds like he really likes where he is right now. Let's keep it that way!
            I gave you rep points already today so cant give move, but strongly agree with your comments about Sell. He is a great thinker and great for SDSU. I recall the three interviews for AD that were podcasted somewhere I think through the Argus. Justin came across very positive and the other two guys were just happy to get the interview and really did not give a crap about what they faced. It was a no brainer decision to hire Justin Sells.

Comment

Yes Sell is really really good at his job. Hopefully he will stay around for a while but I'm sure some big schools will come calling sooner rather than later.
              As far as alcohol at games is concerned, I''m 100% for it. Whatever downsides there might be to it are far outweighed by the positives. I'm sure it will happen someday but just like anything in South Dakota, we will probably be one of the last ones to do it. Just like legal marijuana, industrial hemp, etc, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
                Yes Sell is really really good at his job. Hopefully he will stay around for a while but I'm sure some big schools will come calling sooner rather than later.
                As far as alcohol at games is concerned, I''m 100% for it. Whatever downsides there might be to it are far outweighed by the positives. I'm sure it will happen someday but just like anything in South Dakota, we will probably be one of the last ones to do it. Just like legal marijuana, industrial hemp, etc, etc.
                I have not drank any spirited beverage since Oct 1973, but from a revenue enhancing view, I see beer sales as a plus to the cash registers. This, financially, will be a good thing. One incident that leads to someone getting hurt or even killed, and the BOR will very quickly shut down any sales of alcohol beverages. There is risk and a downside to beer sales, and that might explain Sell comment about collecting all the articles about beer sales. This does not mean a position one way or another rather a very careful analysis and a decision. The beer flows freely in the Club section. It does not bother me that I am paying for someone else beer with my $750 every year for ten years. I wanted a good view of the game. And stupid me picked an end row seat right in front of Club 71. Time for someone to get up and get another beer.
                Last edited by Nidaros; 07-03-2019, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

If Sell doesn't get offered a P5 job, then our brand isn't expanding enough. SDSU is currently in the position to be a stepping stone for better jobs. As long as that continues to happen (and the correct replacement hires are made), that is good for SDSU. It might put the Jacks in position to be a P5 (or whatever comes next) school.
                  Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                  -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    I have not drank any spirited beverage since Oct 1973, but from a revenue enhancing view, I see beer sales as a plus to the cash registers. This, financially, will be a good thing. One incident that leads to someone getting hurt or even killed, and the BOR will very quickly shut down any sales of alcohol beverages. There is risk and a downside to beer sales, and that might explain Sell comment about collecting all the articles about beer sales. This does not mean a position one way or another rather a very careful analysis and a decision. The beer flows freely in the Club section. It does not bother me that I am paying for someone else beer with my $750 every year for ten years. I wanted a good view of the game. And stupid me picked an end row seat right in front of Club 71. Time for someone to get up and get another beer.
                    You skipped the part where he mentioned that incidents actually have gone down at the venues that have started allowing beer from what he’s seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                      You skipped the part where he mentioned that incidents actually have gone down at the venues that have started allowing beer from what he’s seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      I believe the beer sales will happen, but in a controlled environment, what that will be I do not know. The reduction of incidents is not a guarantee that incidents can not and will not happen at Dana. We are dealing with mind altering substances.
                      Last edited by Nidaros; 07-03-2019, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        I believe the beer sales will happen, but in a controlled environment, what that will be I do not know. The reduction of incidents is not a guarantee that incidents can not and will not happen at Dana. We are dealing with mind altering substances.
                        At least one study supports correlation between control/access and fan incidents, some of these (e.g., cutting off sales by 3rd quarter) have been discussed in other threads

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                          At least one study supports correlation between control/access and fan incidents, some of these (e.g., cutting off sales by 3rd quarter) have been discussed in other threads
                          This study has a some interesting observations regarding alcohol sales. I suspect Justin Sell has a copy. It was very professionally done. I am certainly going keep a copy for future study. If SDSU decides to sell beer, it will require BOR approval. I would suspect it will be a very controlled plan such as limiting the amount purchased limited to two beers and closing beer sales at end of the third quarter. It mostly likely will not be unlimited purchases. Morally, SDSU has come a distance. According to Howard Kramer, A History of SDSU, the Lutheran Church, opposed public dances on campus. This was sometime in the 1920’s . I don’t have the book handy, but it no doubt was during prohibition so publically alcohol was not discussed, privately it was available.
                          Last edited by Nidaros; 07-04-2019, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X