Clear All

• UMKC IS back

http://www.thesummitleague.org/gener...20190620sts1txYup

UMKC Roos back in 2020-2021

Re: UMKC IS back

https://www.kshb.com/sports/umkc-wil...ing-in-2020-21

Comment

Welcome back, KC. Please excuse the lack of advance fanfare. The SoDak sports media has been so preoccupied with Augie that they didn't see you coming.
      This space for lease.

Comment

Pretty much sets the stage to add Augie and make it the I-29 league + a couple stragglers does it not?

Comment

I am sure that the Douple critics are wondering why this has not been in the news for a year or so. How long has the turnover of UMKC president and athletic director been? It is not a great add for basketball competition at this time in the Summit, but it is certainly a good geographical add for another MVC wannabee. Welcome back Roos. The count is now 2 for the "prodigal teams" for the Summit.
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Oh thank heavens. I was worried it was going to be a team that would add something to the league besides a warm body. I can rest easy now.
            Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

I feel like we need to add to this story their new athletics' logo; I think the change and move go together. The logo is kinda old-school. I'm not too sure how I feel about it, yet. I just hope they don't get rid of the KC skyline jerseys (they wore them in Frost this past season when they played the men) because that might be my favorite uniform.

http://www.umkckangaroos.com/ViewArt...CLID=211805247
              Rollin' in my 5.0
              With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
              Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

I hope centenary is planning a comeback also. That would be the cherry on top.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitball View Post
                  Pretty much sets the stage to add Augie and make it the I-29 league + a couple stragglers does it not?
                  Augie isn't a necessary add. Maybe the Big Sky will want them.
                  This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                    Augie isn't a necessary add. Maybe the Big Sky will want them.
                    Augie will be added.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                      Augie will be added.
                      I was also worried the next add to the conference wouldn’t just be a warm body, but could also leech away $ from two of the current schools, that way the conference won’t get too top heavy. What a relief.

I get we need to add schools and all, especially since it appears that WIU isn’t looking like they’ll be DI much longer and the PFW situation. The schools that apparently the Summit is able to attract just speaks volumes about the conference and will make it very difficult for SDSU to grow much farther than where we’re at right now IMO.
                      Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

It was a breathtakingly stupid decision for UMKC to leave the Summit League in the first place.

http://www.umkckangaroos.com/ViewArt...CLID=211805709

The move will also help with another priority – streamlining the budget of Division I athletics. UMKC Athletics Director Brandon Martin, Ph.D., says that a move to the Summit League will save significant costs.

Martin said the move, coupled with facility improvements at Swinney Center where basketball and volleyball games are played, will benefit the campus and the Kansas City community.
                        “These changes are about competitive excellence, positioning our student-athletes and teams to win conference and NCAA postseason championships,” Martin said. “This also will help inspire our Roo Nation, elevating the fan experience, creating rivalries and partnerships that make games not only competitive but fun and exciting. This, coupled with fiscal savings, is a win-win.”
                        The admission that it was a stupid thing to move to the WAC in the first place, right there.

Selfishly, it brings back the opportunity for me to watch the Jackrabbits a half-hour from home here.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Having an even number of teams helps with scheduling.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            It was a breathtakingly stupid decision for UMKC to leave the Summit League in the first place.

http://www.umkckangaroos.com/ViewArt...CLID=211805709

The admission that it was a stupid thing to move to the WAC in the first place, right there.

Selfishly, it brings back the opportunity for me to watch the Jackrabbits a half-hour from home here.
                            There are positive geographic points. It makes more sense for the conference vs. Grand Canyon. It is still a Roo MBB that may not bring the level of competition up to Grand Canyon status. The Roos had an admin that saw an easy path to NCAA tourney via the WAC. Blurred vision is the diagnosis there. The change of guard(president and AD) could elevate UMKC more quickly by recruiting and hiring better coaches. Regional conference foes is more realistic for the mid major life. It is easy to cry about not having UNI or Grand Canyon or whoever as a new member. It is also a fact of life that UMKC is a few hours away on the wide road I29.
                            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

The Roos seem to be making a commitment to strengthen their athletic programs. Their new basketball coach is Nagy's predecessor at Wright State who was relatively successful there . If i remember correctly, his salary is in the same ballpark as Henderson's here. I am personally glad to see the Roos return as I am a native Missourian and have followed them from a distance for many years.

Comment

Working...
                              X