Preseason Polls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preseason Polls

Jacks are #3 in the Athlon poll and # 5 in the hero sports poll. Full polls to follow.

Thoughts?

Hero Sports:

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-...op-25-fcs-ajaj

Athlon:

https://athlonsports.com/college-foo...cs-top-25-2019
    Last edited by Mr_Tibbs; 06-04-2019, 01:05 PM.

Re: Preseason Polls

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    Jacks are #3 in the Athlon poll and # 5 in the hero sports poll. Full polls to follow.

Thoughts?
    High considering a new QB, OC, and DC.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
      High considering a new QB, OC, and DC.
      Agreed. New QB and new DC are the biggest concerns for me. Eck has been an OC before and has been pretty involved in the Jacks offense since day 1. I'm not concerned with his abilities. And in fairness, Berstrom has bemn a DC before too. I think the coaching changes will be something to work through, but I don't rink they're as big of a deal as the QB. Also, we are a little thin for starters at O line, and that concerns me. But of the new QB can play decent, and the O line can gel, then I think we have every potential to be a top 10 team again. Schedule is set up nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
        Agreed. New QB and new DC are the biggest concerns for me. Eck has been an OC before and has been pretty involved in the Jacks offense since day 1. I'm not concerned with his abilities. And in fairness, Berstrom has bemn a DC before too. I think the coaching changes will be something to work through, but I don't rink they're as big of a deal as the QB. Also, we are a little thin for starters at O line, and that concerns me. But of the new QB can play decent, and the O line can gel, then I think we have every potential to be a top 10 team again. Schedule is set up nicely.
        I agree completely. New QB is biggest concern right now. I posted this on AGS, but I'll say it here as well... I have more confidence in our offense with Eck in there compared to Eidsness. Obviously I shouldn't be complaining too much considering the offensive output over Eidsness' tenure, but at times I felt like the offense succeeded in spite of his play calling. I mean look at the weapons he had at his disposal over the last 7 or 8 years. The same goes for the defense tbh. I might end up wishing we had both of them back, but I feel like we are in good hands and might be better off. Obviously it depends on how quickly the team adapts to new coaching as well, so we'll see.

Comment

I'd put us in the 10-15 range myself.
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

If our new qb is worth anything we are top 10 easy. Top 15-20 if they aren't as good as advertised. But I dont know enough about other teams what they bring back to see if its accurate. preseason polls a lot of times are a measure of how teams finished last year. they dont really reflect the changes for this year.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

count me as the optimist...one of the best RB rooms in all of FCS, strong and deep OL, and one of the better balanced WR/TE groups we've ever had. Plus the WR/TE groups are arguably one the best blocking ones we've seen. Defensively we need to replace a few pieces but again the depth and athleticism is there. LBs should be one of the top units. Overall the Jacks are as deep as they have ever been. QB is a question but after spring I feel confident that there are 3 guys capable of leading this team, although it sounds like a 2 horse race. I agree with the 3-5 range both hero and athlon have us in.

Comment

Does anyone know how Krolikowski has been looking? Any chance he'll be back for the start of the season?

Having him back would be huge for the defense.

Comment

I agree that aslong as our off line can amount to more then a hill of beans we should be fine on offense. The deepest running back group probably ever in sdsu history and a solid group of play makers in the wr and TE skills. A new qb should be ok with that talent level as long as the oline can hold it's own.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Dom Izzo had some good things to say about SDSU and how he thinks we'll do this year.

https://www.inforum.com/sports/footb...-watch-in-2019

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                      I'd put us in the 10-15 range myself.
                      I'd say you should be ranked NO LESS than 5 even with a new QB and staff. No further back then 10.

If they are saying 3-5 thats fine. You win and everything will fall in place. The higher your ranked the LESS that 1 or 2 losses will hurt you.
                      Last edited by GSUsTALON; 07-06-2019, 12:43 PM.
                      Georgia Southern Football - Out weighed, but seldom outplayed
                      www.gsufans.com

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                        Dom Izzo had some good things to say about SDSU and how he thinks we'll do this year.

https://www.inforum.com/sports/footb...-watch-in-2019
                        "South Dakota State — Taryn Christion may be gone, but the cupboard isn't bare in Brookings. Talented pieces on offense return in Cade Johnson at wide receiver and Pierre Strong at running back. Strong was especially impressive to me with his performance against the Bison in the FCS semifinals. The Missouri Valley Freshman of the Year is poised to have a monster 2019. John Steigelmeier needs to pick a quarterback, something the Bison know something about. Christian Rozeboom is a senior and next to Jabril Cox, could be the co-defensive player of the league. The Jacks non-conference is relatively easy, after a season opener with Minnesota, SDSU plays three straight home games against new D-1 school Long Island, then Drake and Southern Utah. The conference schedule is even more advantageous, with home games against NDSU, Illinois State and Northern Iowa. SDSU will be back and near the top of the league and polls."
                        By Dom Izzo

Izzo forgot to mention your pending win over the GOPHERS!
                        Georgia Southern Football - Out weighed, but seldom outplayed
                        www.gsufans.com

Comment

Working...
                        X