Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: St. Thomas being "forced" out?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,448

    Default St. Thomas being "forced" out?

    Some interesting stuff.

    http://www.startribune.com/st-thomas...a-m/510270892/

    I had to read the comments as I knew nothing about this.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Auburn, NE
    Posts
    957

    Default Re: St. Thomas being "forced" out?

    Embarrassment by the MIAC for kicking a member out for being too good. Literally have never heard it done before.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,450

    Default Re: St. Thomas being "forced" out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Evolution Prime View Post
    Embarrassment by the MIAC for kicking a member out for being too good. Literally have never heard it done before.
    Kind of like the ESD and the Sioux Falls schools.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Auburn, NE
    Posts
    957

    Default Re: St. Thomas being "forced" out?

    Quote Originally Posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    Kind of like the ESD and the Sioux Falls schools.
    That is exactly what I was thinking.

  5. #5

    Default Re: St. Thomas being "forced" out?

    The school president's news release cited it's twin cities location as making it attractive to"several" conferences, which is true. The Tommies are within bussing distance of many WIAC and NSIC schools. WIAC is a distinct possibility and would allow the Tommies to stay DIII, and preserve their rivalry with St Johns. NSIC is certainly a fit geographically and the Tommies would be immediately competitive. However, the NSIC and DII are just plain dirty. But Tommy hockey would need to move to DI. The Tommies could look long view here, and make the jump to DI. The Tommies would look good in the Summit but the MVC might agree and make an incursion into the twin cities. Pioneer league for football and WCHA for hockey.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,340

    Default Re: St. Thomas being "forced" out?

    They can't go directly from D3 to D1. You have to go through to D2 first. I think at a minimum it is about a 9 year process to get from D3 to D1 to become full D1 eligible.

  7. #7

    Default Re: St. Thomas being "forced" out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit74 View Post
    They can't go directly from D3 to D1. You have to go through to D2 first. I think at a minimum it is about a 9 year process to get from D3 to D1 to become full D1 eligible.
    Thus the "long view."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,784

    Default Re: St. Thomas being "forced" out?

    This is really sad that this can even happen. Shame on the MIAC. I'm sure there is more to the story but the little I've read it is just because they are too good, their enrollment is too big and they have too much money. If you can't beat, get rid of 'em I guess......(SMH).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    O'Fallon,MO
    Posts
    1,399

    Default Re: St. Thomas being "forced" out?

    Some discussion on the NSIC (D2) thread that St. Thomas is appealing going directly to DI to the NCAA since they were forced out--and more discussion that this is impossible with rule changes. Even some talk of trying to go directly to the Big East since they fit as a Catholic school in a major metro area-- that speculation is, of course, nuts. Still think they're going to the NSIC or the WIAA, but hopefully Douple is monitoring this, and talking. For some reason the WAC seems much more proactive in pulling strings in order to stay alive.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,855

    Default Re: St. Thomas being "forced" out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
    Some discussion on the NSIC (D2) thread that St. Thomas is appealing going directly to DI to the NCAA since they were forced out--and more discussion that this is impossible with rule changes. Even some talk of trying to go directly to the Big East since they fit as a Catholic school in a major metro area-- that speculation is, of course, nuts. Still think they're going to the NSIC or the WIAA, but hopefully Douple is monitoring this, and talking. For some reason the WAC seems much more proactive in pulling strings in order to stay alive.
    IMO...this is not nuts at all. Being “forced” out of the MIAC will, in the end no be the best thing that will ever happen to StThomas. If they pour all their $$’s into Men’s BB, ala Creighton, they’ll no doubt be in the Big East within the next 10-15 years.
    The only one this move will really suck for is unfortunately, St Johns football as that classic MN rivalry game will go away.
    The rest of the MIAC and their participation ribbon mentality apparently didn’t care.

    UM Gopher BB...welcome to your worst nightmare, hopefully it will make your ADdept wake up, but I seriously doubt.
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •