Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ORU Part Deux - Big weekend

Default Re: ORU Part Deux - Big weekend

Quote Originally Posted by BaseJack View Post
    Big weekend indeed coming up but I would love some payback to NDSU and what they did to us at the end of the season last year.

I have a question. If we would win the league where would the games be played? I donít believe our field would be capable of hosting. Augieís field is to short and limited seating.

Im sure tonightís game will be a bullpen game for both teams as we only threw 4 pitchers this weekend and will definitely need more than that for the stretch run and conference tournament.

GO Jacks!!!
    Didn't we host in SF at the birdcage when ORU left the summit?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slosho View Post
    Didn't we host in SF at the birdcage when ORU left the summit?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Yes, and buying a $10 ticket to that tournament was a big key to locking in good seats at the Summit League basketball tournament. It's funny how that $10 keeps paying off every March!

Quote Originally Posted by Southeast View Post
    Yes, and buying a $10 ticket to that tournament was a big key to locking in good seats at the Summit League basketball tournament. It's funny how that $10 keeps paying off every March!
    Amen to that. I got in on this deal as well. Went as far as calling the SF Sports Authority that year making sure I only had to purchase the ticket and not actually attend. That allowed us to book SL BB tourney all session passes at least 24 hours in advance. If not longer.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaJack View Post
    Yes, this year they have the Big 10 tournament, not sure of how many upcoming years. I think UNO hosted the Huskers at Werner Park this year, which is the home of the AAA Stormchasers. It would be a great venue for a Summit League tournament. While TDAMERITRADE would be nice for the players it's not so cool when you have 500 in a 24,000 seat park.
    Big 10 tournament's locked into TD Ameritrade through 2022.

I remember driving by TD Ameritrade last year during the championship game between Minnesota and Purdue. It was extremely hot and the stands looked empty. Checked the box score and it looks like it drew 1,931 fans. Great facility, but it is so much better when fans are in the stands.

Back in 2014, they drew nearly 20,000 fans for the championship game at TD Ameritrade. It helped that the Huskers were playing a highly rated Indiana team for the championship.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaJack View Post
    Yes, this year they have the Big 10 tournament, not sure of how many upcoming years. I think UNO hosted the Huskers at Werner Park this year, which is the home of the AAA Stormchasers. It would be a great venue for a Summit League tournament. While TDAMERITRADE would be nice for the players it's not so cool when you have 500 in a 24,000 seat park.
    Completely forgot about the AAA field. That would be great as well if the schedule didn't conflict

We get game 1, 5-4, scoring 4 in bottom of 7th. Bison give Ft Wayne their first conference win and Omaha beats Western in 10.

The loss today will be costly for the Bison PFW left the door open after the top of the ninth. Bison not able to capitalize.

Interesting weekend in baseball. As mitchellrabbit reported, our 4 run 7th inning in game one propelled the team to a 5-4 victory. ORU helped us with two errors, beaned Beazley and walked another in the 7th, but that is part of baseball.

In game two, we returned the favor with a sloppy 2nd inning. Froom left the 2nd inning after giving up a single with an injury. We then proceed to having a throwing error on a pickoff attempt. We can still get out of the inning with no runs given up. However, with two outs and a runner on 2nd, we have back-to-back throwing errors by two infielders and give up one run. To add insult to injury, the next Fighting Bob launches a two-run homer and we are down 5-0 going into the bottom half of the 2nd inning. In the next three innings we scored 3 runs, but stranded 6 runners. A crooked number in one of those innings could have produced another victory in a shortened, 5 inning game. We end the weekend with a 1-1 split, with the third game being cancelled.

Omaha and Western Illinois went extra frames in two of their three games. The Leathernecks get 2 of 3 from Omaha. NDSU pulls off the feel-good story of the season as they give the hapless horned beasts their lone victory on the season. PFW has a 1-26 record in Summit League play. As a result, every other team in the league has a winning Summit League record. UNO holds a one game lead over SDSU. Oral Bob is two games back of the Jacks. NDSU and WIU both have 14-13 records.

Remaining schedule:

Oral Roberts at UNO for three games.
    SDSU is in Fargo for three.
    PFW hosts WIU.

As we head into the final weekend series, Omaha has a 1-game lead over the Jackrabbits in the race for the regulars season crown.

No shared crown this year. UNO wins the series, they are the champs. Bison feeling the pressure. Almost have to sweep or stay home. Not sure of their tiebreaker with Western. Wn gets the low hanging fruit this weekend. Go Jacks!!