New community college

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New community college

So, according to multiple news reports, USD is taking over the University Center in Sioux Falls and is turning it into a Community College. Enrollment at the school has been going down for years. Even so, isn't this a step backwards for higher education in South Dakota? If the state's new community college ever starts sports teams, perhaps their nickname should be the White Elephants. Maybe they could take Augie's place in the Northern Sun.
    This space for lease.

Re: New community college

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    So, according to multiple news reports, USD is taking over the University Center in Sioux Falls and is turning it into a Community College. Enrollment at the school has been going down for years. Even so, isn't this a step backwards for higher education in South Dakota? If the state's new community college ever starts sports teams, perhaps their nickname should be the White Elephants. Maybe they could take Augie's place in the Northern Sun.
    In my opinion, we need more kids going to tech schools. Too many are getting a 4 yr degree that doesn't provide any more opportunities than a tech school degree, sometimes less so. Then they are stuck with crippling student loan debt they can't pay off.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
      In my opinion, we need more kids going to tech schools. Too many are getting a 4 yr degree that doesn't provide any more opportunities than a tech school degree, sometimes less so. Then they are stuck with crippling student loan debt they can't pay off.
      You're spot on. The cost of higher education is reaching a point where it's getting unfeasible for many professions. Take teachers for example. Takes a 4 year degree and they are making what 30-35k out of school? If they didn't have scholarships or some sort of help (parents, grants, etc.) those loans are going to be crippling.

Yet many schools keep raising fees for the regular students to pay for things like athletics.

Comment

The University Center in Sioux Falls was initially built to better serve the major population center in the Sioux Falls metro. I think the regents identified an under-served "market", and at the time, we had been seeing a steady increase of commuter students out of SF to SDSU/USD. The first couple years saw growth and success. However, internet classes and remote learning took off shortly there after, which created direct competition some of the things they were trying to do.

A brick and mortar is not going to be as cost effective as an online presence, and thus, has a hard time competing unless they can figure out a way to provide added value. The University Center has been struggling for a long time, so personally, I welcome any change to improve it.

Also, I agree with the tech school comments.

Comment

Just my two cents on this issue. Full agreement that more kids ought to be steered toward tech schools. College recruiting, both public and private, is very intense and high school students will be constantly pushed by studies that show a four-year degree, in time, will yield greater lifetime earnings. The reality is that we don't have a growing crop of high school graduates in SD. Most of the six public universities are seeing either flat or declining enrollments. The legislature might see this and ask a logical question: Why should we give you more money when you are serving fewer students? Add in the idea of a second two-year school in Sioux Falls and legitimate questions about duplication of programs and funding two physical plants comes to mind. By the way, STI is an outstanding school. Maybe the leaders and former leaders in Sioux Falls - those who pushed the Regents, SD legislature and former governors to build the University Center - ought to figure out what they can do with that leaking vessel on the north side of town.

Comment

To bad they can't use the campus more for sdsu pharmacy program and usd med school and law school. Those students spend a lot of time in Sioux falls. I took world geography for an elective for my undergrad years ago their since it worked to take it in the evening I could work Nd take it. And it was before the online options were really taking off. I also had mam phys during the summer since I had no desire to take it during the school year at 7am with professor Henry. Class work was at USDSU and Saturday like 9-5 lab work in Brookings. That was a fun summer.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I think the biggest problem with University Center is the fact it's in a town with two other universities and a tech school, and in a town with a sub-3% unemployment rate.

Anyone who wants to have a job can easily get one, and anyone who wants secondary education has multiple options.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                I think the biggest problem with University Center is the fact it's in a town with two other universities and a tech school, and in a town with a sub-3% unemployment rate.

Anyone who wants to have a job can easily get one, and anyone who wants secondary education has multiple options.
                Yep and the convenient option of online glasses. I'm not sure you could get a complete degree their it just seemed like a bunch of random classes and intro classes like math and English comp.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

It's probably time for the state to cut its losses and shut the place down. Six state universities and four tech schools are enough.
                  This space for lease.

Comment

Stay tuned.

Comment

From the Oct. 31, 2019 Argus Leader:

"A leadership shakeup at a longpursued research park in northwest Sioux Falls has the University of South Dakota and the Governor’s Office of Economic Development hunting for a new director. As of July, longtime president of the USD Discovery District, Rich Naser, was no longer serving in that post ..."

Like the neighboring Community College in northwest Sioux Falls, the need for this business park is questionable. The city has no shortage of available business space.
                      This space for lease.

Comment

Working...
                      X