Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit League BB transfers

Default Re: Summit League BB transfers

Apples to oranges but wants the retention and transfer rate for general student populations? Gotta guess it's worse then that. Not to make it seem less of a problem but just away to look at it.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done. Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks-02 View Post
    George Marshall and Cody Larson both came from P5 schools and had huge impacts on our program.

Tagyn Larson as well for the women.

I agree that the huge transfer numbers in basketball is troubling, but it does work both ways. I'd say we've benefited far more from transfers over the years than have been hurt by them.
    My thoughts on the transfer thing is a program needs to a create a culture that makes kids want to stay, not feel like they have to stay.

We actually had that going with TJ, but once he moved on, that went out the window. It sucks, but coaching changes happen, and defections aren't unique to SDSU when it does. I think Hendo can reestablish that kind of a culture quickly, but it was unrealistic to think he could go through this recruiting season unscathed. Even though he has been an assistant, every kid on the roster commit to TJ's program, not Eric's.

It's been rough the last few weeks, but I think when the dust settles we're still going to have a pretty good basketball team.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    My thoughts on the transfer thing is a program needs to a create a culture that makes kids want to stay, not feel like they have to stay.

We actually had that going with TJ, but once he moved on, that went out the window. It sucks, but coaching changes happen, and defections aren't unique to SDSU when it does. I think Hendo can reestablish that kind of a culture quickly, but it was unrealistic to think he could go through this recruiting season unscathed. Even though he has been an assistant, every kid on the roster commit to TJ's program, not Eric's.

It's been rough the last few weeks, but I think when the dust settles we're still going to have a pretty good basketball team.
    We did? TJ had several players transfer out of the program. Some were his and some were Nagy's.

Quote Originally Posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    We did? TJ had several players transfer out of the program. Some were his and some were Nagy's.
    Keeping Daum when he could have gone anywhere in the country said a lot about players desire to play for TJ, but most of the players that have transferred left because they weren't playing. I never fault a kid for moving on to a place to get more playing time.

I will give you Key and Carter III though, as there appears to be issues at hand there other than playing time.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    Keeping Daum when he could have gone anywhere in the country said a lot about players desire to play for TJ, but most of the players that have transferred left because they weren't playing. I never fault a kid for moving on to a place to get more playing time.

I will give you Key and Carter III though, as there appears to be issues at hand there other than playing time.
    Tj should consider him self lucky daum and Reed stayed. They could have left but waited to give the new coach a chance. I think that's all I would ask kids to atleast give the new coach a chance to make an impression before you decide. If they left tj would not be coaching at unlv now.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done. Arnold Palmer

Quote Originally Posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    Transfers have been a fact of life in college basketball for years, although not to this extent. Check the rosters of the last 5 or 6 years of Nagy's tenure here and you will find 10 or more players who left early.

Quote Originally Posted by bigticket1 View Post
    Transfers have been a fact of life in college basketball for years, although not to this extent. Check the rosters of the last 5 or 6 years of Nagy's tenure here and you will find 10 or more players who left early.
    Not that transfers are an issue but more so losing your better players. How many from nagys teams were big time contributors? I can recall any off the top of my head. Most I can think of just didnt work out so it's probably for the best to move on. Rader, prince, doyle. Drawing a blank on others not that's they weren't good plays. Just it didnt work out here.

Quote Originally Posted by goon View Post
    Not that transfers are an issue but more so losing your better players. How many from nagys teams were big time contributors? I can recall any off the top of my head. Most I can think of just didnt work out so it's probably for the best to move on. Rader, prince, doyle. Drawing a blank on others not that's they weren't good plays. Just it didnt work out here.
    I don't think that SDSU was really a fertile ground for bigger programs to poach until the last few years. Before Daum and DJJ there really wasnt that kind of legit talent. Marshall, Parks, and Larson weren't going to transfer out.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

AJ Plitzuweit transferring to USD per his twitter.

Welcome to Div I Augie (even before Augie has made the move they are feeling the sting of transition).

Quote Originally Posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
    AJ Plitzuweit transferring to USD per his twitter.

Welcome to Div I Augie (even before Augie has made the move they are feeling the sting of transition).
    Usd might get a couple dozen more fans at their games since he is a local kid.