Summit League BB transfers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summit League BB transfers

According to a tweet from Midco's Jay Elsen, USD's Stanley Umude has entered his name in the NCAA transfer portal. Texas, Cal and Arizona are reported to have already shown interest.

Re: Summit League BB transfers

I've changed the title to this thread to "Summit League BB transfers". Bigticket1 had titled the thread Umude transferring but I think it may be more worthwhile to have a thread on any Summit League BB transfers.

Here's the text of Midco's Elsen's tweet:
    South Dakota forward Stanley Umude, who averaged a team-high 14.4 ppg for the Coyotes as a sophomore, has added his name to the NCAA transfer portal. Per sources, Cal, Texas and Arizona have already expressed interest.

Umude is a big loss for the Tanagers. He had some star potential.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      I've changed the title to this thread to "Summit League BB transfers". Bigticket1 had titled the thread Umude transferring but I think it may be more worthwhile to have a thread on any Summit League BB transfers.

Here's the text of Midco's Elsen's tweet:
      South Dakota forward Stanley Umude, who averaged a team-high 14.4 ppg for the Coyotes as a sophomore, has added his name to the NCAA transfer portal. Per sources, Cal, Texas and Arizona have already expressed interest.

Umude is a big loss for the Tanagers. He had some star potential.
      Tanagers?
      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
        Tanagers?
        You know, kind of like Grill decommitting and DJJ transferring from the Bobcats.

Comment

Tanagers?
          Since this is in a smack thread it's ok. Oh wait.....

Comment

Tanagers?
            As in Vermilion High Tanagers?

Comment

Originally posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
              You know, kind of like Grill decommitting and DJJ transferring from the Bobcats.
              Wondered who was reading....

[My apologies to Vermillion High School.]

The site Verbal Commits shows that as of this evening (4/18/19 about 10:00 pm), there are 678 D1 men's basketball players listed as transfers.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2019

After a relatively quick scroll through the list, I concluded that most schools, at all levels in D1 men's basketball, have players transferring. There may be more movement in the mid-major ranks but even the big programs are not immune from the transfer bug.

The Verbal Commits list shows the following Summit League transfers --i scanned through the list pretty quickly...may have missed someone. It appears UND is the only conference school to avoid the transfer bug this season so far (but last season had a big loss with the grad-transfer Geno Crandall to Gonzaga). The VC list may not be perfect. For example, Jack Stensgard is listed as a 2019 transfer from USD but he left USD early and played this past season at UW-River Falls, so I didn't list him below.

Denver: Donovan Carlisle; Jake Krafka; Elvin Rodriquez Jr.; Evan Tricker

SDSU: Michael Carter III; David Jenkins Jr; Ryan Krueger

Omaha: Elisha Duplechan

NDSU: Deng Geu

WiU: Perion Little; Isaac Johnson

ORU: Emir Ahmedic; Chris Miller; Kennedy Milton

USD: Stanley Umude; Nathan Robinson

Fort Wayne: Matt Weir

UND: 0

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                .......there are 678 D1 men's basketball players listed as transfers.
                http://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2019

So if there are 347 D1 teams, and each team has 15 players (unlikely), that's 678 of 5205, that means that >13% of D1 is looking to transfer. Uffda.
                "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                  So if there are 347 D1 teams, and each team has 15 players (unlikely), that's 678 of 5205, that means that >13% of D1 is looking to transfer. Uffda.
                  Unfortunately it really looks like we are at a time when the difference between the P5's and the Mid Majors is going to open up even more dramatically. I mean, what's to prevent a player from entering the portal just to gauge interest from the P5 schools? If nothing happens, you stay put and try again the next year. Basically it really looks like we are going to see a load of mid major players who have success gauge the market to see if they can get that offer from one of the major schools.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                    It's actually a higher % than that since the men can only have 13 scholarship players.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                      It's actually a higher % than that since the men can only have 13 scholarship players.
                      Somewhere I read an article recently that said 40% of D-I basketball players don't make it past their sophomore year at the college they initially signed with. Now, I don't remember how far back they went to create this metric but regardless, it was pretty alarming.

Not sure if this is the exact article, but it does list the same stat:
                      https://thecomeback.com/ncaa/college...ee-agency.html

Comment

A few years back when this transfer thing was starting to heat up the argument was made that transfers for mid majors is a two way street. While the mid majors have the risk of losing their star players to P-5 schools they also have the opportunity to pick up transfers from the P-5's who see little or no playing time. So my question for this board is who is likely to have a greater impact on their new team, the mid major star moving up or the number 9-13 players sitting on end of the bench on the high major rosters moving down in search of playing time. After watching Mooney I'd argue that it's more likely the mid major stars will have an impact on their new team than someone moving down,anybody have a good example of somebody moving down and making a significant impact.

Comment

Originally posted by jrd View Post
                          A few years back when this transfer thing was starting to heat up the argument was made that transfers for mid majors is a two way street. While the mid majors have the risk of losing their star players to P-5 schools they also have the opportunity to pick up transfers from the P-5's who see little or no playing time. So my question for this board is who is likely to have a greater impact on their new team, the mid major star moving up or the number 9-13 players sitting on end of the bench on the high major rosters moving down in search of playing time. After watching Mooney I'd argue that it's more likely the mid major stars will have an impact on their new team than someone moving down,anybody have a good example of somebody moving down and making a significant impact.
                          Matt Mooney - he was at Air Force first

Comment

I always hoped we could catch a few guys like cody Larsen. Well for different reasons but guys who went power conference and it didnt work out or stuck on the bench but good players who want a chance to play or a start over. Like Marshall. I figured we would be a net gain and not loss. I think if we can keep winning the summit league most years we might see a trickle down effect for us.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                              Since this is in a smack thread it's ok. Oh wait.....
                              My sentiments exactly...
                              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Working...
                              X