X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Summit League BB transfers

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
    Matt Mooney - he was at Air Force first
    That's true, and I must be getting older and my memory getting worse as I didn't even think about Cody Larsen and George Marshall for us. So maybe the answer for the mid majors is to step up and find the right guys to transfer in.

Comment

Grad transfer proposal was voted down.
      https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...77955870547968

Comment

Originally posted by jrd View Post
        A few years back when this transfer thing was starting to heat up the argument was made that transfers for mid majors is a two way street. While the mid majors have the risk of losing their star players to P-5 schools they also have the opportunity to pick up transfers from the P-5's who see little or no playing time. So my question for this board is who is likely to have a greater impact on their new team, the mid major star moving up or the number 9-13 players sitting on end of the bench on the high major rosters moving down in search of playing time. After watching Mooney I'd argue that it's more likely the mid major stars will have an impact on their new team than someone moving down,anybody have a good example of somebody moving down and making a significant impact.
        George Marshall and Cody Larson both came from P5 schools and had huge impacts on our program.

Tagyn Larson as well for the women.

I agree that the huge transfer numbers in basketball is troubling, but it does work both ways. I'd say we've benefited far more from transfers over the years than have been hurt by them.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
          Grad transfer proposal was voted down.
          https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...77955870547968
          Good.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            It's actually a higher % than that since the men can only have 13 scholarship players.
            Using 13 scholarships, it’s 15% Double uffda, why so many bad choices. It can’t be all about greener grass.

Comment

Apples to oranges but wants the retention and transfer rate for general student populations? Gotta guess it's worse then that. Not to make it seem less of a problem but just away to look at it.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                George Marshall and Cody Larson both came from P5 schools and had huge impacts on our program.

Tagyn Larson as well for the women.

I agree that the huge transfer numbers in basketball is troubling, but it does work both ways. I'd say we've benefited far more from transfers over the years than have been hurt by them.
                My thoughts on the transfer thing is a program needs to a create a culture that makes kids want to stay, not feel like they have to stay.

We actually had that going with TJ, but once he moved on, that went out the window. It sucks, but coaching changes happen, and defections aren't unique to SDSU when it does. I think Hendo can reestablish that kind of a culture quickly, but it was unrealistic to think he could go through this recruiting season unscathed. Even though he has been an assistant, every kid on the roster commit to TJ's program, not Eric's.

It's been rough the last few weeks, but I think when the dust settles we're still going to have a pretty good basketball team.
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                  My thoughts on the transfer thing is a program needs to a create a culture that makes kids want to stay, not feel like they have to stay.

We actually had that going with TJ, but once he moved on, that went out the window. It sucks, but coaching changes happen, and defections aren't unique to SDSU when it does. I think Hendo can reestablish that kind of a culture quickly, but it was unrealistic to think he could go through this recruiting season unscathed. Even though he has been an assistant, every kid on the roster commit to TJ's program, not Eric's.

It's been rough the last few weeks, but I think when the dust settles we're still going to have a pretty good basketball team.
                  We did? TJ had several players transfer out of the program. Some were his and some were Nagy's.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                    We did? TJ had several players transfer out of the program. Some were his and some were Nagy's.
                    Keeping Daum when he could have gone anywhere in the country said a lot about players desire to play for TJ, but most of the players that have transferred left because they weren't playing. I never fault a kid for moving on to a place to get more playing time.

I will give you Key and Carter III though, as there appears to be issues at hand there other than playing time.
                    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                    - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                      Keeping Daum when he could have gone anywhere in the country said a lot about players desire to play for TJ, but most of the players that have transferred left because they weren't playing. I never fault a kid for moving on to a place to get more playing time.

I will give you Key and Carter III though, as there appears to be issues at hand there other than playing time.
                      Tj should consider him self lucky daum and Reed stayed. They could have left but waited to give the new coach a chance. I think that's all I would ask kids to atleast give the new coach a chance to make an impression before you decide. If they left tj would not be coaching at unlv now.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                        Transfers have been a fact of life in college basketball for years, although not to this extent. Check the rosters of the last 5 or 6 years of Nagy's tenure here and you will find 10 or more players who left early.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                          Transfers have been a fact of life in college basketball for years, although not to this extent. Check the rosters of the last 5 or 6 years of Nagy's tenure here and you will find 10 or more players who left early.
                          Not that transfers are an issue but more so losing your better players. How many from nagys teams were big time contributors? I can recall any off the top of my head. Most I can think of just didnt work out so it's probably for the best to move on. Rader, prince, doyle. Drawing a blank on others not that's they weren't good plays. Just it didnt work out here.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                            Not that transfers are an issue but more so losing your better players. How many from nagys teams were big time contributors? I can recall any off the top of my head. Most I can think of just didnt work out so it's probably for the best to move on. Rader, prince, doyle. Drawing a blank on others not that's they weren't good plays. Just it didnt work out here.
                            I don't think that SDSU was really a fertile ground for bigger programs to poach until the last few years. Before Daum and DJJ there really wasnt that kind of legit talent. Marshall, Parks, and Larson weren't going to transfer out.
                            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

AJ Plitzuweit transferring to USD per his twitter.

Welcome to Div I Augie (even before Augie has made the move they are feeling the sting of transition).

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                                AJ Plitzuweit transferring to USD per his twitter.

Welcome to Div I Augie (even before Augie has made the move they are feeling the sting of transition).
                                Usd might get a couple dozen more fans at their games since he is a local kid.

Comment

Working...
                                X