Spring Football around the MVFC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Football around the MVFC

It's rebuilding or reloading time around college football and while the Jacks have a big question on who will fill the void with TC gone under center, many league teams have their own issues. I'd love to hear your thoughts on what we expect back from some of our foes.

My first looks is the Bison. You could argue that their graduating class was as deep and good as any FCS class in history. That's a big statement, but their own media department has talked about graduating 24 seniors and returning only seven full-time starters. Moreover, they've lost their head coach and have some big changes in scheme. Expect Entz to make some of the changes to be seemless, but with a new offensive coordinator, rumors out of Bisonville is that they may be moving towards a west coast offense.
    That's a different twist when you only have two WR's who've caught a ball in a college game.
    On defense, they plucked their new defensive coordinator from UNI's staff.

We won't have the Stick/Christion debate this year. Both teams return two very capable wideouts and quality running backs. Jabril Cox returns at LB and that is a heck of a tool to reload from.

At QB, they have a very similar debate going on that we do. Talented, athletic redshirt freshman QB Trey Lance or Iowa State transfer Zeb Noland.

Anderson and Dunn are gone from the backfield, but Ty Brooks and Dimitri Williams both have proven they can keep the ground attack moving. A couple of other talented players wait in the wings, so they have depth too.

As stated earlier, they only have two wideouts that have caught a collegiate pass. They also return tight end Ben Ellefson. With a move towards a west coast offense, look for Ellefson to get more targets along with their stable of running backs.

They are rebuilding in the trenches with three new starters. Returning starter Zack Johnson has played in 38 games in his career
    and Dillon Radunz is an all-conference talent
    . Nash Jensen and Karson Schoening will also be back with plenty of game experienc to form a sound group to build off. Sounds like they may start a redshirt freshman at right tackle. I wouldn't argue that this is their best line ever, but they are solid as anyone in the MVFC. Just like the Jacks' unit.

On the defensive line, Greg Menard is finally gone. That just means they have some other players who's turn has finally come up to be the face of the line. A pair of South Dakotan's are back in Spencer Waege and Derrek Tuszka. They have 107 career tackles including 27.5 behind the line of scrimmage. Cole Karcz has 34 games of experience as he returns for his senior campaign. Expect some underclassmen to step up their games to provide depth and they did sign some excellent freshmen that sure would have looked good in blue.

At LB they have Jabril Cox. He's moving from Sam to Will, but to expect any drop off as a premiere player in the FCS is wishful thinking.

I'm curious how their backend gels this year. Robbie Grimsley is gone, but Jamie Hendricks returns as a starting safety. Marquise Bridges is their seventh returning starter at one of the corners.

Would love to hear from some of the Bison faithful on their expectations. My thought is that they may start a little slower this year than normal, but to rule them out as national contenders is just not happening at this point.
Working...
X