Spring Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spring Game

Just got a chance to watch the highlights and some extra clips from the Spring Game, wish I could have gone. Put me firmly in the 'Gibbs for starter' camp. Tbh, from the little I saw, I think Connors looked more impressive than Walding. Obviously it's a very small sample size, but Connors definitely looked the part. Gibbs looks like he's the real deal, and it makes sense based on how highly he was recruited.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
      Just got a chance to watch the highlights and some extra clips from the Spring Game, wish I could have gone. Put me firmly in the 'Gibbs for starter' camp. Tbh, from the little I saw, I think Connors looked more impressive than Walding. Obviously it's a very small sample size, but Connors definitely looked the part. Gibbs looks like he's the real deal, and it makes sense based on how highly he was recruited.
      From what I saw (the 2nd half), Connors had the best game out of all the QBs, but it wasn't by a wide margin. What surprised me the most was how mobile he was, as I don't believe he should be looked at as just a pocket passer.

His biggest hurdle is his frame. He absolutely needs to put on some good weight so he can absorb a few hits. The read-option is likely going to be a huge component of the offense and he needs to be able keep the defense honest, which means taking a hit and fighting for first down yards when warranted.

In my opinion, Connors can't be slightly above or even with Gibbs to win the job out of camp. The staff has invested more into Gibbs (he's on scholarship, Connors is a walk on) and Gibbs' physical attributes give him an edge when looking at which player should develop on the field.
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

I'm of the opinion that if it's decently close coming out of fall camp, it's worth starting Gibbs. Even if you think Walding is slightly better, the potential gain of having a 4 year starter with big upside is worth a slight downgrade the first year.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
          I'm of the opinion that if it's decently close coming out of fall camp, it's worth starting Gibbs. Even if you think Walding is slightly better, the potential gain of having a 4 year starter with big upside is worth a slight downgrade the first year.
          Unless that first year helps prepare your #2 guy to be a reliable backup for 3yrs, getting your top prospect to work harder to get to #1, and most importantly, instilling it in all the QB's prospects minds that only the best QB will start.Heaven forbid, if injury occurs, you don't want to have placed all your eggs in one basket, and don't have a sound, reliable backup to fill the void, because, if injury occurs, it could be at the worst possible time, like the play offs for example.Both Pros and Cons to consider.

Comment

Yup, my thought is that unless someone else clearly separates from Gibbs, he'll be starting. He has the most potential, and you're setting yourself up well for the future with him. I also think we'll see him running quite a bit this year. Called QB runs/options add another element to our ground game and takes even more pressure off throwing the ball downfield.

Comment

Bah gawd, that's LujanOverChristionGang's music!!!
              Last edited by CappinHard; 04-15-2019, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Bah gawd, that's the LujanOverChristionGang's music!!!
                And Crawford over Sumner, and Duffy over Zenner, and everyone over Moss, etc.

Comment

Bah gawd, that's LujanOverChristionGang's music!!!
                  No it's not...that's your song and dance...it was a legitimate post with legitimate reasoning, get over it.

Comment

And Crawford over Sumner, and Duffy over Zenner, and everyone over Moss, etc.
                    It was actually Crawford over O'Brien...

[ducks for cover]
                    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                    - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                      No it's not...that's your song and dance...it was a legitimate post with legitimate reasoning, get over it.
                      My post had nothing to do with yours, I didn't even read yours before I posted that. It just so happens that you ended up posting the exact thing that I thought RO's post would provoke. Looking forward to hashing that out again. Those were some pretty fun debates tbh, because both sides have merit.

Comment

My post had nothing to do with yours, I didn't even read yours before I posted that. It just so happens that you ended up posting the exact thing that I thought RO's post would provoke. Looking forward to hashing that out again. Those were some pretty fun debates tbh, because both sides have merit.
                        Apologies, I see now you weren't referring to my post, guess I should have looked a little closer to who you were responding to. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                          It was actually Crawford over O'Brien...

[ducks for cover]
                          Ha, oh man. My bad. Was it TOB over Sumner then?

Comment

I don't think the Lujan/TC comparison holds water in the case with Gibbs. The TC debate was whether to start a young guy with a lot of potential over an older guy that had proven he was a very cabable. In 2019, our options are a redshirt Frosh with a lot of potential, a red shirt frosh that had a good spring game second half but needs to develop more, a junior who is a little more experienced as a play caller but still hasn't seen the field much for a D1 program, and a senior who''s been a backup his whole career that hasn't developed his down field passing game. Just looking at that blindly, Gibbs seems like the obvious choice unless someone else decidedly proves they're the better choice.

Comment

Well, my Steelers thought Johnny Unitas wasn't intelligent enough to play football, so mistakes can be made.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                                I don't think the Lujan/TC comparison holds water in the case with Gibbs. The TC debate was whether to start a young guy with a lot of potential over an older guy that had proven he was a very cabable. In 2019, our options are a redshirt Frosh with a lot of potential, a red shirt frosh that had a good spring game second half but needs to develop more, a junior who is a little more experienced as a play caller but still hasn't seen the field much for a D1 program, and a senior who''s been a backup his whole career that hasn't developed his down field passing game. Just looking at that blindly, Gibbs seems like the obvious choice unless someone else decidedly proves they're the better choice.
                                Had we stuck with Lujan our starting QB situation would be fairly clear for next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X