Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spring Game

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    Stig just went on record saying we'll see more blitzing this fall. He "was too harsh with Brown on allowing blitzes, but he wants to open it up more for the new D Coordinators". If true, that's the best news of the day.
    Very interesting! Some of you guys were on to something a while back. Stig can be adamant in some of his point of views. This was one of them.

Comment

Agreed. One way or the other, I believe Gibbs will be our QB of the future. Whether that starts in August of 2019 or not, who knows. But he made some good decisions today, and that bodes well for him this fall.

It's too early to really evaluate one way or the other, but given our schedule, I think we've got the tools in place to make an 8th straight playoff appearance, despite the leadership we lost to graduation. As I see it (Way too early predictions, but it's April and I don't care):

@UM - Winnable game, but a Thursday night game in a Big 10 stadium isn't the ideal place for a new QB to start. Being conservative, I'll call this an L

LIU - Good former D2, but should be a W

@Drake - Should be a W

SUU - Birds had a bad season last year, but I'm not sure what they return. Being at home, this should be a W

SIU - At home, I think we can grind this one out. W

@YSU - My gut tells me L

@ISUB - Not sure what they return, but their QB is gone (I think). Should have been a playoff team last year. I think we pull out a W

NDSU - NDSU lost a LOT of seniors off that team, and while they probably will reload, it wouldn't shock me if they're not a top 5 team next season. Top 15 for sure, but I could see them losing 2+ games in the regular season. Since it's April and there's no reason for pessimism right now, let's say a W.

@MSU - Bears don't play well late in the year. W

ISUR - Tough team to predict. They've fallen apart late in the year the last few years, but they always play us tough. They were a young team last year, and I could see a L here.

UNI - This feels like a revenge game to me and I think we'll take it.

@USD - I'm not going to predict a USD victory here, but this is probably the best shot they've had yet in the D1 era to take us down. New QB playing in the Dome and they always play us close down there. With that being said, they'll be short a few thousand fans for this one compared to normal and they just weren't very good last year. Not sure how much they return on the O line and on D, but those were pretty weak units for them last year, and I doubt they've fixed all the issues. W

I think 9-3 is real doable, and 8-4 is definitely attainable. Toughest road games are @UM, @YSU, and @USD

NDSU, ISUR, and UNI at home. It's a favorable schedule for a team with a new QB and coordinators.
      Interesting predictions, particularly the loss at YSU.

Just curious, if Jacks upset Gophers, and don't sustain injuries prior to game against 'Guins, would that leave you more confident? Looks like the Gophers are relatively young on both lines and at LB (although one of their more "experienced" LBs is R-Jr. Bailey Schoenfelder from Huron), which could bode well for Jacks RBs. In addition, if Tanner Morgan is their QB, he seems like more a traditional pocket passer, which could leave them susceptible to blitz. However, another source cites his quick release, so loss of Jordan Brown could hurt Jacks in coverage.

Comment

SDSU will be facing one of the better Gopher teams in years. The Gophers changed DC’s halfway through the season and they started playing very well.
        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
          SDSU will be facing one of the better Gopher teams in years. The Gophers changed DC’s halfway through the season and they started playing very well.
          That's not saying much, haha. But I agree, UM will be better than they've been in a while. However, I don't think I'd put the 2019 gopher's in the top 3rd of strength of FBS games we've played. Mizzou in 14, UNL in 13, UNL in 10, and even TCU in 16 were all better than what I believe this year's gophers team will bring to the table. While they did play better to end the season, I'll believe it when I see it for them being a competitive team in the Big 10 West. With that being said, I'd see till be surprised of we go in there and get a W. While TCF Bank isn't a notoriously tough venue to get a win, it's still a Thursday night home opener in a Big 10 stadium at the point in the season while UM fans are still optimistic and haven't thrown in the towell yet. It'll be tough, but it's as winnable of an FBS game as we've had in a few years, KU in 2015 notwithstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
            Interesting predictions, particularly the loss at YSU.

Just curious, if Jacks upset Gophers, and don't sustain injuries prior to game against 'Guins, would that leave you more confident? Looks like the Gophers are relatively young on both lines and at LB (although one of their more "experienced" LBs is R-Jr. Bailey Schoenfelder from Huron), which could bode well for Jacks RBs. In addition, if Tanner Morgan is their QB, he seems like more a traditional pocket passer, which could leave them susceptible to blitz. However, another source cites his quick release, so loss of Jordan Brown could hurt Jacks in coverage.
            Not really I guess. YSU was pretty competitive with us last year, and it's an early conference game on the road. YSU is usually playing their best football in the first half of the season, and we had fits there in 2017. It just feels like one of our "dud" games. When you figure we'll drop one on the road mid-season that we shouldn't, YSU or ISUB are the best candidates, and I think YSU will be tougher next year.

Comment

Not really I guess. YSU was pretty competitive with us last year, and it's an early conference game on the road. YSU is usually playing their best football in the first half of the season, and we had fits there in 2017. It just feels like one of our "dud" games. When you figure we'll drop one on the road mid-season that we shouldn't, YSU or ISUB are the best candidates, and I think YSU will be tougher next year.
              I'm cautiously optimistic. They'll have new QB and RB and three new OL on offense; "green" defenders at all three levels (including MLB); and completely new special teams trio.

Comment

That's not saying much, haha. But I agree, UM will be better than they've been in a while. However, I don't think I'd put the 2019 gopher's in the top 3rd of strength of FBS games we've played. Mizzou in 14, UNL in 13, UNL in 10, and even TCU in 16 were all better than what I believe this year's gophers team will bring to the table. While they did play better to end the season, I'll believe it when I see it for them being a competitive team in the Big 10 West. With that being said, I'd see till be surprised of we go in there and get a W. While TCF Bank isn't a notoriously tough venue to get a win, it's still a Thursday night home opener in a Big 10 stadium at the point in the season while UM fans are still optimistic and haven't thrown in the towell yet. It'll be tough, but it's as winnable of an FBS game as we've had in a few years, KU in 2015 notwithstanding.
                Ill be surprised if SDSU is within 20pts. Gophers will have playmakers all over the field on offense and an improved defense. Just my opinion.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Ill be surprised if SDSU is within 20pts. Gophers will have playmakers all over the field on offense and an improved defense. Just my opinion.
                  If I had to venture a guess, I would say we'll be 16.5 point underdogs. We'll know in about a month.

Comment

Understandable. My point was that on paper, 2014 Mizzou, 2016 TCU, 2010 and 2013 UNL were all better than what Minnesota is anticipated to be this year. Those were all games (with the exception of UNL in 2013) that SDSU was still within striking distance in the fourth quarter. While 2019 Minnesota is talented, I don't believe they are better than some of the above mentioned teams that SDSU competed well with in the past.

Comment

Understandable. My point was that on paper, 2014 Mizzou, 2016 TCU, 2010 and 2013 UNL were all better than what Minnesota is anticipated to be this year. Those were all games (with the exception of UNL in 2013) that SDSU was still within striking distance in the fourth quarter. While 2019 Minnesota is talented, I don't believe they are better than some of the above mentioned teams that SDSU competed well with in the past.
                      Yeah you’re probably right on that. I looked up Mizzou and they went 11-3. TCU went 6-7. Nebraska had decent seasons.

Comment

Gophers will cover whatever the spread and be a much improved team. Defenses will stop the run and make the inexperienced QB win the game for the Jacks this season. 8-4 would be a great season for the team but it could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
                          Gophers will cover whatever the spread and be a much improved team. Defenses will stop the run and make the inexperienced QB win the game for the Jacks this season. 8-4 would be a great season for the team but it could be worse.
                          It is about money, but every P5 could involve upset.

Comment

That's what most everyone was saying last year at this time. And we turned out better than expected. I suspect the same this year as long as we get someone at QB who can just manage the game and not make a lot of mistakes.

Comment

Gophers will cover whatever the spread
                              Ok...

Comment

I am looking forward to the game at TCF, but I'd like to learn more about what happened on Saturday and other emerging players.

QB race still has multiple competitors and fall camp will decide that portion of the depth chart.

RB - we know we have depth and this will be a strength.

WR - Cade Johnson and Adam Anderson are two excellent receivers. Looks like we have lots of talent behind them. Anybody else emerge after spring ball?

TE - After losing Goedert, we all expected a huge void. Blake Kunz really had a breakout season last year. Zach Heins turned heads this spring. We still have Cavanaugh, Hart, Egan, and Schauf. That's a lot of depth. I'm hoping we can find rolls for everyone, but would not be surprised to see someone leave for more playing time.

OL - Losing Genant hurts along with the graduation of Pupungatoa, but Eck has done a heck of a job building the depth and quality the last couple of years. Any potential difference makers out of our sophs/freshman?

DE/DL - The trench depth on both sides has been huge and important. Will Ogunrinde or any other modestly used DE's emerge this year to compliment Earith? Interior has been a strength recently. Is Sanders the main one providing depth behind starters or are their others?

LB - Having Rozeboom anchoring this group for four years is a huge blessing. Backhaus had an excellent year. Wilson and Tetzlaff played important roles for depth and special teams. Did Levi Brown's spring campaign elevate his status into a potential starting role? How about the redshirt freshmen, will they have a big role for depth/special teams?

CB - We've really been blessed at the corner position for a number of years and having elite talent like Brown the last few has been a luxury. We still return some strong experience and I don't see this position as a weakness, but who's the difference maker? Do we even have one? Is Davis the future after gaining some experience?

Safety - Again, Dan Jackson's leadership continues to shine with the DB's. I really like that Griffin and Manchigiah have emerged. Awesome to have the depth with Williams and Berg. Will DeMarta or Small push for playing time?

Special teams - Nice to have two potential All-American caliber returnees in Vinatieri and Sorenson. It's hard to evaluate talent in the spring game with this group, but do we have a solid option at punter? It has been a couple of years since I've talked to Dinkel or some of his high school teammates and teachers. At the time, he was a talented athlete that needed some maturity. I hope the last two years helped in that regards.

Comment

Working...
                                X