Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spring Game

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    I don't think the Lujan/TC comparison holds water in the case with Gibbs. The TC debate was whether to start a young guy with a lot of potential over an older guy that had proven he was a very cabable. In 2019, our options are a redshirt Frosh with a lot of potential, a red shirt frosh that had a good spring game second half but needs to develop more, a junior who is a little more experienced as a play caller but still hasn't seen the field much for a D1 program, and a senior who''s been a backup his whole career that hasn't developed his down field passing game. Just looking at that blindly, Gibbs seems like the obvious choice unless someone else decidedly proves they're the better choice.
    Yeah, it's a little different situation. However, the general argument exists in that you can go with an "experienced" guy who has 2 years left, but maybe not as much upside, or you can go with the young, unproven guy with a higher ceiling and the potential for stability at the QB position for 4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
      Had we stuck with Lujan our starting QB situation would be fairly clear for next year.
      That's the biggest difference, and the one I think makes this debate a little more clear cut, is that Christion could have (and maybe should have) red-shirted that year. Once he burned it though, it was amazing to me how many people still wanted Lujan to start over Christion. Imo, Christion's first year was wasted because they couldn't make a decision and stick with it. Back to the current situation, since Gibbs has already red-shirted, I would like to see the coaches go with him. It will be nice to have a "proven" guy behind him in case he REALLY struggles, but for the most part, I say let him go.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
        That's the biggest difference, and the one I think makes this debate a little more clear cut, is that Christion could have (and maybe should have) red-shirted that year. Once he burned it though, it was amazing to me how many people still wanted Lujan to start over Christion. Imo, Christion's first year was wasted because they couldn't make a decision and stick with it. Back to the current situation, since Gibbs has already red-shirted, I would like to see the coaches go with him. It will be nice to have a "proven" guy behind him in case he REALLY struggles, but for the most part, I say let him go.
        I have faith that Coach Lujan will have the best guy out there. I'm of the opinion that TC's second year, with Lujan off the bench, was ideal. We had the dynamic playmaker in TC starting, and the "steadier hand" in Lujan as the backup. (although TC ended up being a pretty steady hand, regardless). This seems to be a good idea. (to me, anyway)

Regardless of who ends up starting and playing the most snaps, I'll support them. And if they go down due to injury or poor play, I'll support the backup, whoever that should be. It doesn't have to be a this guy vs that guy situation. Support both guys.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
          It doesn't have to be a this guy vs that guy situation. Support both guys.
          Aaaand, what would be the fun in that?!

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
            Ha, oh man. My bad. Was it TOB over Sumner then?
            Yah, TOB was playing over Sumner and it took TOB quitting the team mid season for Sumner to get his chance.

I think this was a lesson Coach Stig took to heart (that and Kool playing RB over Zenner happened about the same time) because since then him and his staff have been much more willing to go with a younger player over an upper class man when the former is obviously more talented.
            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
            - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
              I think we all can agree that it would have been nice to see Lujan stay healthy and redshirt TC. I guess I was in the camp of starting Lujan over TC. TC could run better but that was the one edge I gave him. The passing stats were fairly even but if there was an edge in any category it went to Lujan. I guess since TC was using a year up they had play him to give him more experience for the next 3 years.
              I do remember the USD game where I was really glad they brought Lujan in. Lujan was 6 of 8 for 128 yards in that game. TC on the other hand was 9 of 19 for 153 yards with 1 INT and 2 sacks. I think were lose that game if we leave TC in. We were down 10 points going into the 4th and replaced TC with Lujan and it worked out. TC might have been able to pull it out but maybe not. That might be the exception to the rule but it did work that game.
              TC is a great QB but the two of them ever fairly even if you are just comparing that season.

This season is different since you don't have a proven starter back like you did that season.

Comment

The Jacks are talented. Don't sacrifice the present for an unknown future. Play the QB most likely to help the Jacks win the conference championship and advance the team in the playoffs this season, no matter if he is a redshirt, a walk-on, a transfer or a veteran. We fans can fret about next year after the spring game a year from now. Win now, and the future will take care of itself.
                This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                  The Jacks are talented. Don't sacrifice the present for an unknown future. Play the QB most likely to help the Jacks win the conference championship and advance the team in the playoffs this season, no matter if he is a redshirt, a walk-on, a transfer or a veteran. We fans can fret about next year after the spring game a year from now. Win now, and the future will take care of itself.
                  I don't care how slim the margin is. Whoever gives this team the best chance to win needs to start, regardless of who will be starting next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Bits View Post
                    I don't care how slim the margin is. Whoever gives this team the best chance to win needs to start, regardless of who will be starting next year.
                    I'm pretty sure that's what tj did with the basketball team. Played for last year not worried about younger player development or the future. In hindsight looks like they should have played a deeper bench earlier in the year for benefit later. I guess I will trust the coaches most often then not. Hopefully one of the QBs goes out and earns it so its settled and not always debated.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      I'm pretty sure that's what tj did with the basketball team. Played for last year not worried about younger player development or the future. In hindsight looks like they should have played a deeper bench earlier in the year for benefit later. I guess I will trust the coaches most often then not. Hopefully one of the QBs goes out and earns it so its settled and not always debated.
                      I know that people will say that it is different in women's sports but AJ has a completely different take. In the "Why didn't AJ leave SDSU: He saw a path to mid major glory" article he said this, " Macy is arguably as good as anyone who has ever played here, and I don't know if she averages 30 minutes a game. It's a similar situation with (Guebert). Some players say, 'Where's my extra five or six minutes?' But that doesn't happen. We're trying to win now while also building for the long term, and everyone buys into that idea."

As far as the football team goes, I want the best players to play but it would also be nice to play some reserves when you can. You don't need a fragile TC out there against New Hampshire when you are up 49-7 with 10 minutes left in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                        I know that people will say that it is different in women's sports but AJ has a completely different take. In the "Why didn't AJ leave SDSU: He saw a path to mid major glory" article he said this, " Macy is arguably as good as anyone who has ever played here, and I don't know if she averages 30 minutes a game. It's a similar situation with (Guebert). Some players say, 'Where's my extra five or six minutes?' But that doesn't happen. We're trying to win now while also building for the long term, and everyone buys into that idea."

As far as the football team goes, I want the best players to play but it would also be nice to play some reserves when you can. You don't need a fragile TC out there against New Hampshire when you are up 49-7 with 10 minutes left in the game.
                        Yep. There were moments in the non conference we were up or down enough to allow some depth on the bench to get in.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                        X