Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Macy Miller Drafted!!

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
    Last night was a tryout game. The Storm were without the service of Sue Bird, Jewell Lord and Shavontae Zellous at the guard position. Jordin Canada and Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis got the start at the guard positions. Macy, Presley Hudson, and Recee Caldwell also played significant minutes at the guard spots.

They have one more preseason game on Friday night, so that will be a good indication of where they are going with their roster. The season opener is a week from Saturday.

In last night's game, Macy failed to score. She played over 12 minutes and had 1 offensive rebound and 1 assist. While she didn't score on 3 attempts, she must have played solid defense as she had a -3 rating. That rating reflects that the team was outscored by 3 points while she was on the court. Her peers that she's competing with for a roster spot were Hudson (-13), Caldwell (-2), and Mosqueda-Lewis (+2). Mosqueda-Lewis benefited from starting and playing with that rotation for much of the game.

Presley Hudson, a free agent rookie from Central Michigan, was aggressive on the offensive end and tried her best to fill the stat line. She was 3 for 7 from the field, making 3 of of her 5 attempts from behind the arc. She had no assists, rebounds or fouls. Her (-13) rating shows the team struggled while she was on the court. You may not remember this, but Hudson was the star player for CMU when the Rabbits pulled out an 80-71 victory on the road. That game was tied at the half. Macy outperformed Hudson that night too, even though both put up 24 points for their teams. Hudson apparently isn't shy when the ball is in her hands.

Recee Caldwell had a solid performance last night. Caldwell is a coaches daughter who was a top-10 recruit coming out of high school. She played with the USA basketball program as a teenager and had a very good career at Texas Tech after starting her collegiate experience at UCLA. She was a grad-transfer student for the Cal Bears last season and found her role as the season progressed. Last night she was solid, shooting 3 for 5 from behind the arc and 4 for 7 from the field. She also contributed 4 assists and had a (-2) rating while on the court. She did not hurt her chances with last night's performance as the team can always use a three point threat like her and she takes care of the ball while on the court.

Fifth-year WNBA guard, Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis got the start at the guard spot opposite of Jordin Canada. Canada appears to be a lock after a very promising rookie campaign last year. Mosqueda-Lewis is a known commodity, albeit one that has not lived up to her #3 overall draft pick position by the Storm in the 2015 draft. She set the NCAA record for career three pointers as a star player for UConn, but in four seasons with the Storm she's averaged just over 5 points per game. Last season was the first that she was efficient beyond the arc while shooting at a 40% clip. Last night she was unspectacular scoring 3 points on her lone trey attempt. She had 3 assists in 20 minutes and also gave up 2 turnovers. If the Storm didn't have so many questions entering the season with the loss of the WNBA MVP and their coach having a tumor removed from his gut this week, I'd expect that M-Lewis would be on the hot seat. However, they will want as many known quantities as the enter the season.
    Presley Hudson also won the 3 pt shooting contest this year, I would of liked to have seen Maddie Guebert invited to that contest, just like I'd of liked to have seen Jill Young invited her senior year. Every game it's noted we have players who can shoot the 3 , but our best 3 pt shooter is never selected for the 3 pt shooting contest, no matter how good they are, so to me, it's all political how they select their participants Maddie shot 103 3-pointers this season shooting at 42.2 % clip , I don't know why they picked players who didn't have as good of numbers over her to participate, and it was held in the Target Center in Minneapolis, close to where she lives, I will note however, I don't know for sure she wasn't asked, maybe she was and declined the invitation.
    Last edited by jackdaniel; 05-16-2019, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Presley Hudson did get on a roll and was very impressive in the 3-point contest. However, that is just a contest with nobody defending you. This season, Presley converted 38.2% of her nearly 300 attempts. She had the fourth highest percentage, on her team, for those who shot at least 45 three-point attempts. At 5'6" tall, she better have a lot of quickness to be successful. Even playing off of a pick and roll offensive scheme, she's going to have troubles getting clean looks. In addition, her limited size will really impact her on the other end of the court. She was third on her team in steals, so I don't know how good she would be as an on the ball defender.

You are correct, jackdaniel, it would have been fun to see Maddie in that contest.

Comment

The Storm has released forward Zykera Rice and now has 20 players on their roster. One of those 20 players listed is Breanna Stewart, who's torn achilles will prevent her from playing this season.
        Noelle Quinn is listed on the roster page, but she retired in February and is one of their new assistant coaches. I guess you can't rule her out as possibly playing and filling a player/coach role as the 12th player.

Nine of the 20 rostered players are guards. It is hard to imagine that they'd carry more than six guards. Sue Bird, Jewell Lord, Jordin Canada and Shavonte Zellous are virtual locks. Several teams have a 11 member roster, with 12 the maximum you can carry. Free agent and fellow rookie Recee Caldwell is getting nice press and recognition from the staff for her play early on, so I would expect that she's a front runner to make the roster as a fifth guard. Sami Whitcomb played well down the stretch last year for the Storm. That may give her an edge for the last guard spot. That leaves little room for Macy and Presley Hudson to lock up a spot. Versatility, defense and 3-point shooting will be key in locking up a spot.

Big game for Macy tonight. I expect they will make more roster cuts starting Saturday or Monday.

Comment

Macy played 13.35 minutes last night against LA. she was 3-5 on field goals going 1-1 from deep, 1-1 from the line for 8 pts. was at +3 1 personal foul no turn overs.
          Presley Hudson was 8.38 min played going 1-3 from deep, +6, with 1 rebound, 1 to, 3pts.

STORM HIGHLIGHTS

• After she was held scoreless in her first outing with the Storm, Storm 2019 third-round pick Macy Miller led the scoring efforts off the Storm bench with eight points in 14 minutes.

Comment

Storm's Bird out indefinitely with injured knee https://es.pn/2EouZ3R
            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

My brother-in-law has coffee every morning with Macys uncle and he said Macy flew back to Mitchell last night. She already has a pro contract in Spain.

Comment

https://storm.wnba.com/news/seattle-...rookie-guards/

Comment

She's young yet, plenty of time left for her to prove herself, she'll just move on

Comment

It's extremely hard to make a WNBA team. Only 12 teams that can carry 12 players each. 144 roster spots and no developmental league. Contrast that with the NBA having 450 active roster spots plus 312 more in the G League.

Comment

Nicole Seecamp waived by Dallas

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                        Nicole Seecamp waived by Dallas
                        Who?

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                          Who?
                          I think he is referring to the Austrialian who played forever at USD

Comment

Player of the Year Gustafson (Iowa) got cut by Dallas...

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
                            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Accordingly to the Argus, Macy is going to play in Spain next year. It isn't listed on gojacks, yet, but I think the Argus knows what they are talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                                Accordingly to the Argus, Macy is going to play in Spain next year. It isn't listed on gojacks, yet, but I think the Argus knows what they are talking about.
                                Especially when the article has quotes from her talking about playing in Spain https://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...ol/1548951001/
                                Originally posted by JackFan96
                                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                                X