2020 Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2020 Recruits

I thought that March did pretty well. He had a one point match with Jesse Mendez who is regarded as one of the best high school wrestlers in the country regardless of weight. His only other loss was to nationally ranked Patrick Noonan who ended up taking 4th. He also beat Ramon Ramos who is ranked ahead of him. I definitely feel better about him now than I did last week.

Originally posted by KSjack View Post
    Alek Martin looks like a can’t miss recruit . Hate to be that guy but how did your can’t miss recruit do wombat? God I’m loving the recruits this staff is targeting. The future couldn’t be looking better!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TheWombat View Post
      I thought that March did pretty well. He had a one point match with Jesse Mendez who is regarded as one of the best high school wrestlers in the country regardless of weight. His only other loss was to nationally ranked Patrick Noonan who ended up taking 4th. He also beat Ramon Ramos who is ranked ahead of him. I definitely feel better about him now than I did last week.
      I watched the three matches referenced in your post and came away with the same thinking. Would of been a nice get but nothing back breaking to miss. Still have no idea how you think he beats price molitor and gross? Even a summer in a college room makes a wrestler grow exponentially. Overall imo he compares to Sam Brancale of the gophers a lot. Relies on strength and upper body.

Comment

Time will tell. I'm predicting March to be a Cam Sykora-level starter for the Bison at some point. It used to be that there was an enormous gap between high-school and college and every true freshman would go into the college room and get his lunch fed to him for the first semester, that is less and less true as time goes on. Also, Molitor was 5-15 last year and Gross wasn't a very big recruit.

Comment

Time will tell. I'm predicting March to be a Cam Sykora-level starter for the Bison at some point. It used to be that there was an enormous gap between high-school and college and every true freshman would go into the college room and get his lunch fed to him for the first semester, that is less and less true as time goes on. Also, Molitor was 5-15 last year and Gross wasn't a very big recruit.
          We need to be reaching higher than Sykora type starters if we want to be a consistent top 15 team. I don't see Sykora being an AA this year.

March will be good I'm sure, but I'll bet a lot of money that Hahn is a better developer of wrestlers than Kish and NDSU.

Comment

What has cam sykora done of any significance in college? And stating the 5-15 record and wasn’t a very big recruit aren’t good reasons. The majority of true freshman still get beat up by older wrestlers regularly. Just because we have had some monster true freshman in this country doesn’t mean the gap is thinning. Name the last non mega recruit to aa as a true freshman? Even if we would of pulled Sloan’s redshirt last year I wouldn’t of banked on him aa’ing.

Comment

What has cam sykora done of any significance in college? And stating the 5-15 record and wasn’t a very big recruit aren’t good reasons. The majority of true freshman still get beat up by older wrestlers regularly. Just because we have had some monster true freshman in this country doesn’t mean the gap is thinning. Name the last non mega recruit to aa as a true freshman? Even if we would of pulled Sloan’s redshirt last year I wouldn’t of banked on him aa’ing.

Cam is a three time national qualifier ranked #13 by flo. He's not a world beater, but neither is March. I don't think that either will ever all-American but few do. I think that evidence shows that the gap is thinning, just look at all of the true freshman national champs and all Americans that we've had in the past few years. You don't see a lot of huge jumps between true freshman and redshirt freshman years anymore, particularly among top-flight guys. People are getting a lot closer to their ceilings in high school than they once did. People are getting a lot more and better training and competition at an earlier age than they ever used to and that's closing the gap significantly.

Comment

Cam is a three time national qualifier ranked #13 by flo. He's not a world beater, but neither is March. I don't think that either will ever all-American but few do. I think that evidence shows that the gap is thinning, just look at all of the true freshman national champs and all Americans that we've had in the past few years. You don't see a lot of huge jumps between true freshman and redshirt freshman years anymore, particularly among top-flight guys. People are getting a lot closer to their ceilings in high school than they once did. People are getting a lot more and better training and competition at an earlier age than they ever used to and that's closing the gap significantly.
                You see massive jumps from year 1 to year 2 all the time. All the true freshman that are national champs or all Americans have all been cream of the crop recruits. The gap has shrunk some but in the grand scheme of things at least 90% of true freshman are still behind their older counterparts. Off the top of my head look at Ethan lizak. Was solid true freshman year but then took a redshirt and became a monster. Even some of the cream of the crop recruits don’t aa year one. I know Adam coon didn’t place as a true freshman. There are some that top off in high school but imo a lot of that comes from overtraining and then burning out. All high school wrestlers have levels upon levels of untapped potential.

Comment

You see massive jumps from year 1 to year 2 all the time. All the true freshman that are national champs or all Americans have all been cream of the crop recruits. The gap has shrunk some but in the grand scheme of things at least 90% of true freshman are still behind their older counterparts. Off the top of my head look at Ethan lizak. Was solid true freshman year but then took a redshirt and became a monster. Even some of the cream of the crop recruits don’t aa year one. I know Adam coon didn’t place as a true freshman. There are some that top off in high school but imo a lot of that comes from overtraining and then burning out. All high school wrestlers have levels upon levels of untapped potential.

I think we're just going to disagree on this one. I don't want to continue to hijack this thread.

Comment

Coach Simez & Coach Hahn put up the Rabbit Signal. They either were or are recruiting in Iowa this week or weekend. Anyone have insight on who the commit would be?

https://twitter.com/damion_hahn/status/1187792633650958337

Comment

IAWrestle is reporting Jack Thomsen, La Porte City, Iowa, Union High School.

https://iawrestle.com/2019/10/25/jac...lege-decision/

Comment

Thomsen's brother Max wrestles for UNI, I'm glad that we were able to snatch this out out from under them.

Comment

Originally posted by AmberValley View Post
                          IAWrestle is reporting Jack Thomsen, La Porte City, Iowa, Union High School.

https://iawrestle.com/2019/10/25/jac...lege-decision/
                          Thanks for reporting! Can't complain about Damion & Co. pulling a defending IA State Champ

Comment

Not for 2020, but according to coaches twitter it looks like the Jacks got a 2021 commit from Iowa today.

Comment

2020 Recruits

3 signed yesterday
                              https://twitter.com/gojackswrestle/s...676163077?s=21

https://twitter.com/gojackswrestle/s...290759168?s=21

https://twitter.com/gojackswrestle/s...540083202?s=21
                              Last edited by witness; 11-22-2019, 07:10 AM.
                              "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Hahn hinting at another commitment

https://twitter.com/damion_hahn/stat...401416194?s=21
                                "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Working...
                                X