2020 Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2020 Recruits

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't Price been wrestling 61kg in the last couple of freestyle meets? That is 134 lbs so hopefully that plugs the hole at 133.

Comment

Originally posted by stchrist View Post
      Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't Price been wrestling 61kg in the last couple of freestyle meets? That is 134 lbs so hopefully that plugs the hole at 133.
      You are correct. He has shown that he can make the weight but Hahn is generally not a fan of a lot of weight cutting. I suspect that the plan is for him to go 133 but I still have that anxiety. I'm also not 100% sure that he'll be our saving grace at the weight, he has a lot left to prove to show that he can be a consistent DI starter. I'm hopeful, but I'm also just a little skeptical. That and the log jam at 184 / 197 have me a little worried. If Price, Carlson, and Mueller can't, don't want to, or aren't allowed to drop down, we are going to have some holes in the line-up. I like Hahn a lot, but he puts the athlete first when it comes to redshirts and weight cutting and that can be a little frustrating from the stands.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWombat View Post
        You are correct. He has shown that he can make the weight but Hahn is generally not a fan of a lot of weight cutting. I suspect that the plan is for him to go 133 but I still have that anxiety. I'm also not 100% sure that he'll be our saving grace at the weight, he has a lot left to prove to show that he can be a consistent DI starter. I'm hopeful, but I'm also just a little skeptical. That and the log jam at 184 / 197 have me a little worried. If Price, Carlson, and Mueller can't, don't want to, or aren't allowed to drop down, we are going to have some holes in the line-up. I like Hahn a lot, but he puts the athlete first when it comes to redshirts and weight cutting and that can be a little frustrating from the stands.

I wouldn't be worried about his philosophy on weight cutting & redshirting. His track record of coaching and developing multi-time National Champions at Cornell is more than enough for me to trust his thinking. This past year for a lost cause so there was no reason to let some of the True Freshman wrestle. Let them get a year of development and then go from there. Once he gets the program stable he'll be more willing to let a TrFresh wrestle if they're ready.

As far as weight cutting, there are a lot of differing opinions on that based on what's best medically and competitively for an athlete. If a wrestler proves that it's an easy and safe cut to drop a weight class (i.e. Price to 133 & Marty to 184) he'll probably let them go for it. Either way i'm excited for this program to bounce back in be on the national scene again. We have a great staff leading these young men

Comment

It looks like we landed someone, Hahn just tweeted out. Does anybody have any insight into this?

Comment

Originally posted by TheWombat View Post
            It looks like we landed someone, Hahn just tweeted out. Does anybody have any insight into this?
            Thompson 2x State champ. Totino Grace. 125lb

https://theguillotine.com/2019/05/co...-dakota-state/
            Last edited by UWMandSDSU; 05-14-2019, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post

This is a great get. I think we needed to get either Thompson or Creese to sure up 125 after Vega is gone. I'd like to see them to after one or two recruits in the 157 - 174 range and maybe another lightweight. Of course, I still think that March is someone we need to be going after.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post

Impressive!!! Bono who?

Comment

Kellyn March is ranked 12th at 132 in the latest flowrestling rankings after beating Jake Svihel at Northern Plains. I'd really like to lock him down early if we can.

Comment

Hahn put out the Bat Signal around midnight on Twitter suggesting another committed recruit. Caldwell followed up with one of his own this morning. Any of you folks that are super close to the program and have inside knowledge know who it might be? Really getting excited for this upcoming season!

https://twitter.com/damion_hahn/stat...83094652305408

Comment

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
                      Hahn put out the Bat Signal around midnight on Twitter suggesting another committed recruit. Caldwell followed up with one of his own this morning. Any of you folks that are super close to the program and have inside knowledge know who it might be? Really getting excited for this upcoming season!

https://twitter.com/damion_hahn/stat...83094652305408
                      Alek Martin St Paris, Ohio: Graham High school

Comment

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
                        Alek has two years left in high school. He just won his first state championship as a sophomore and was runner-up during his freshman season. Graham HS is one of the premier wrestling high schools in the nation. Their former coach, Jeff Jordan, is in the wrestling hall of fame and Alek wrestled for him during his freshman season. Locking up a talented wrestler at such a young age has its risks, but it is one way that Hahn can build on the program.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                          Alek has two years left in high school. He just won his first state championship as a sophomore and was runner-up during his freshman season. Graham HS is one of the premier wrestling high schools in the nation. Their former coach, Jeff Jordan, is in the wrestling hall of fame and Alek wrestled for him during his freshman season. Locking up a talented wrestler at such a young age has its risks, but it is one way that Hahn can build on the program.
                          Is Jeff Jordan the Dad/Uncle of the Jordan boys that wrestled at Ohio State & Wisconsin respectively? Dudes were studs & yeah Graham is a great program. Real exciting to see Hahn getting into the NE Ohio area as there is a ton of talent out there. Some of the best in the country! Per Flo he comes in at #58 on the 2021 Big Board

https://www.flowrestling.org/ranking...more-big-boardme of the best in the country!

Comment

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
                            Ranked 12th overall in the nation at 138 pounds, and top 5 at that weight for class of 2021. #56 overall in class of 2021 recruits.

https://www.flowrestling.org/ranking...2020/31850-138
                            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
                              Is Jeff Jordan the Dad/Uncle of the Jordan boys that wrestled at Ohio State & Wisconsin respectively?
                              Jeff's sons have had very successful careers. Jeff was a two-time All-American himself at Wisconsin. His brother Jim was also a 4-time state champion and joined him in the Badger wrestling program. Jim is most noted for his political career, where he's been one of the top Republicans in the U.S. House of Representatives.

Bo, Jeff's oldest son, was never an individual national champion for the Buckeyes. He was a 4x All-American, twice finishing in the top three. Micah finished as runner-up at 149 this year. He's a three time All-American. Rocky is the third Jordan brother to wrestle at Ohio State. He red-shirted this season.

Comment

I get a little less excited when I see someone committing so early, you see a lot of flipping when this happens. That said, he is a very good recruit for us and there's no reason to think that he won't do very well.

Comment

Working...
                                X