Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Recruits

Default Re: 2020 Recruits

3x state champion Skyler Crespo from Michigan is visiting SDSU April 19-21

https://twitter.com/skylercrespo/sta...216488448?s=21
    "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

I copied this off a Guillotine thread...

Just a note to Minnesota Wrestling Fans: Owatonna High School Wrestler Cade King won his match at 182 lbs, competing for the USA Team in the annual Dream Team Classic. This annual event features the best of the high school seniors in the USA vs the best of particular states. This year's event was held today at Lyons Township High School in LaGrange (Chicago Suburb), IL. Cade King won his match in convincing fashion, by a 13-5 Major Decision. The USA Dream Team also defeated the Illinois Dream Team by a score of 45-6. Looks like a blowout score, but there were several very good matches, won mostly by the USA Team. This event is sponsored by Wrestling USA Magazine and Cliff Keen Athletic. A great event! Minnesota has hosted this event twice over the years. The first time at Apple Valley High School in 2000. In 2016 New Prague High School hosted this event. Congratulations to Owatonna's Cade King for representing Minnesota well! Cade will head off to South Dakota State University next Fall and wrestle for the Jackrabbits!

I had to do a little digging about Cade King on our board. Much of our future hopes for Jackrabbit wrestling have focused on Nash and Tanner Sloan. It's a great reminder that Hahn is bringing in some excellent talent next year. AmberValley first reported about King last July. Kudos to AV for keeping positive energy flowing regarding our wrestling program. It's easy to focus on what we've lost these last 16 months instead of the positive energy that is still happening. (Rep points were given to AV.)

The future is bright!

If we're able to get everyone to where we need them (Price at 133, Carlson at 174, and Mueller at 184) I would say that the present is pretty bright. I'm just a little worried about 133 and 285 for this coming year but we could have solid wrestlers at every weight. With the class that we'll have redshirting, I'd be surprised if a few of them didn't turn into very good starters in the coming years. Trenery and Devos are plug-and-play caliber guys and I could see guys like King, Schoon and Lamer turning into something.

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't Price been wrestling 61kg in the last couple of freestyle meets? That is 134 lbs so hopefully that plugs the hole at 133.

Quote Originally Posted by stchrist View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't Price been wrestling 61kg in the last couple of freestyle meets? That is 134 lbs so hopefully that plugs the hole at 133.
    You are correct. He has shown that he can make the weight but Hahn is generally not a fan of a lot of weight cutting. I suspect that the plan is for him to go 133 but I still have that anxiety. I'm also not 100% sure that he'll be our saving grace at the weight, he has a lot left to prove to show that he can be a consistent DI starter. I'm hopeful, but I'm also just a little skeptical. That and the log jam at 184 / 197 have me a little worried. If Price, Carlson, and Mueller can't, don't want to, or aren't allowed to drop down, we are going to have some holes in the line-up. I like Hahn a lot, but he puts the athlete first when it comes to redshirts and weight cutting and that can be a little frustrating from the stands.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombat View Post
    You are correct. He has shown that he can make the weight but Hahn is generally not a fan of a lot of weight cutting. I suspect that the plan is for him to go 133 but I still have that anxiety. I'm also not 100% sure that he'll be our saving grace at the weight, he has a lot left to prove to show that he can be a consistent DI starter. I'm hopeful, but I'm also just a little skeptical. That and the log jam at 184 / 197 have me a little worried. If Price, Carlson, and Mueller can't, don't want to, or aren't allowed to drop down, we are going to have some holes in the line-up. I like Hahn a lot, but he puts the athlete first when it comes to redshirts and weight cutting and that can be a little frustrating from the stands.

I wouldn't be worried about his philosophy on weight cutting & redshirting. His track record of coaching and developing multi-time National Champions at Cornell is more than enough for me to trust his thinking. This past year for a lost cause so there was no reason to let some of the True Freshman wrestle. Let them get a year of development and then go from there. Once he gets the program stable he'll be more willing to let a TrFresh wrestle if they're ready.

As far as weight cutting, there are a lot of differing opinions on that based on what's best medically and competitively for an athlete. If a wrestler proves that it's an easy and safe cut to drop a weight class (i.e. Price to 133 & Marty to 184) he'll probably let them go for it. Either way i'm excited for this program to bounce back in be on the national scene again. We have a great staff leading these young men

It looks like we landed someone, Hahn just tweeted out. Does anybody have any insight into this?

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombat View Post
    It looks like we landed someone, Hahn just tweeted out. Does anybody have any insight into this?
    Thompson 2x State champ. Totino Grace. 125lb

https://theguillotine.com/2019/05/co...-dakota-state/
    Last edited by UWMandSDSU; 05-14-2019 at 08:57 PM.