Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: Jackrabbits vs Ducks @ Portland

Originally posted by Route 12 Jack View Post
    I agree. I don't think we need a 6'-6" post, but someone about 6'-2" to 6'-3" that is a true 5, can move pretty good for her height and can protect the paint.
    I wish Burckhard was 6'-2", because she would be that player. But as someone has already noted - if she was, she may not be playing for us. Just l
    ook what Sjerven did for USD. They would have been a good team without her, but I think she made them a VERY good team.
    Sjerven would have taken us to a whole other level. Having a true 5 would have been huge against Oregon.

Comment

How about undersized and can dunk, Stanford got her , a Colorado player, played with Page Bueckers on U17 team ,Fran Belibi 6 ' 1"(PF)a relative unknown, just took up playing basketball for about a year and a half before a video on social media of her dunking in a game one handed went viral that spawned multiple scholarship offers from all around the country....where were you Denver? .....j/k ,maybe they did offer her before her video went viral, I don't know, but it's their backyard, but once Stanford offered, game over. Fran would of been a great player to have in the Summit.
      Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-31-2019, 11:45 PM.

Comment

I know it's been mentioned already, but I just wanted to say again that the travel and start time had to have a big impact on our team, and probably contributed significantly to the poor shooting.

The game was delayed and didn't start until nearly 11:00 PM central time, so in the second half it was after midnight for our players. Couple this with nearly 3,000 miles of travel over the course of week and going back and forth across multiple time zones, that is sure to have an impact on a person's internal clock.

It's crazy how difficult they make it for lower seeded teams in the women's tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
          I know it's been mentioned already, but I just wanted to say again that the travel and start time had to have a big impact on our team, and probably contributed significantly to the poor shooting.

The game was delayed and didn't start until nearly 11:00 PM central time, so in the second half it was after midnight for our players. Couple this with nearly 3,000 miles of travel over the course of week and going back and forth across multiple time zones, that is sure to have an impact on a person's internal clock.

It's crazy how difficult they make it for lower seeded teams in the women's tourney.
          They made it difficult for Mississippi State as well. Being placed in the Portland region with Oregon being the #2 seed in the heart of Ducks country. But the WBB tourney loses money every year so the NCAA isn't going to more apt to place teams they know will draw well in certain regions. Regardless of seeds.

Comment

Iowa State hosted as a three seed this year, if they would have placed us there for 1st and second round games, they would have saved travel expense money and likely would have drew more fans to the game, more money there also. East coast teams don't get sent all over the country like the midwest teams do. I used to attribute it to the East coast having more hosts in the region, but after this year with Iowa St available hosting, and us not going there, I don't believe that anymore, they've got some other agenda it seems and it's not about money, or they would take advantage of teams drawing more fans in the same region I would think.If it was about money, they wouldn't waste so much flying teams all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
              They made it difficult for Mississippi State as well. Being placed in the Portland region with Oregon being the #2 seed in the heart of Ducks country. But the WBB tourney loses money every year so the NCAA isn't going to more apt to place teams they know will draw well in certain regions. Regardless of seeds.
              A number one seed shouldn't have to travel that far to play a number two seed basically a home game for them .Miss St got screwed over too.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                A number one seed shouldn't have to travel that far to play a number two seed basically a home game for them .Miss St got screwed over too.
                The first round is given to the top seeds. The regional sites are set way in advance. My suspicion is that Mississippi State was the lowest one seed and ended up a long way from home.

In that regard, I agree with you. Having to play the Ducks in Portland is rough.

SUPERBUNNY
                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

According to the Week 20 (Mar 18 - Apr 7) AP and Coaches Poll, rankings were as follow (with both polls the same through the top 10 teams).

1 Baylor
                  2 UConn
                  3 Notre Dame
                  4 Mississippi St.
                  5 Louisville
                  6 Stanford
                  7 Oregon
                  8 Iowa

For some reason UConn didn't even get a #1 seed. If the teams would have been seeded as they were ranked, and if the 1's and 2's in each region were set up accordingly, then it should have been....

Portland, OR Region
                  #1 Baylor(1) and #2 Iowa(8)

Albany, NY Region
                  #1 UConn(2) and #2 Oregon(7)

Chicago, IL Region
                  #1 Notre Dame(3) and #2 Stanford(6)

Greensboro, SC Region
                  #1 Mississippi St(4) and #2 Louisville(5)

You can argue the locations. As shown here Baylor wouldn't really get a "regional" advantage but there was no regional site close to them. At least it would have put the two central US teams out west with the other three #1 seeds playing close to home. No matter how you look at it, 7th ranked Oregon should have never been in the Portland Region.

Comment

It was clear that UCONN was going to Albany and Oregon was going to Portland. Chicago was the battleground for Notre Dame or Louisville which left Baylor destined to Greenville as no mid south existed.

Committee seeded well for the 1 & 2’s. 3s were a failure as 3/4 fell to 6/11 winners.

Think Jacks final rating of 14 to 18 is possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                      It was clear that UCONN was going to Albany and Oregon was going to Portland. Chicago was the battleground for Notre Dame or Louisville which left Baylor destined to Greenville as no mid south existed.

Committee seeded well for the 1 & 2’s. 3s were a failure as 3/4 fell to 6/11 winners.

If they are judging by reg season and, Tournament results, then we are looking pretty good and present a very good argument. Consider these facts, our close lost to Baylor, although admittedly in the early season, was /is much closer than anyone they've faced in the Tournament so far, by quite a large margin,....and they're at the final four.....Ditto for Oregon, with the exception of #1 seeded Miss St. That's 2/4 final four teams! I'd say that speaks to how we might be a pretty good team, worthy of such a placement.But also keep in mind,that'd be a huge jump and make most of the pollsters look silly and somewhat inept, since all season long we could only sniff at a top 25 ranking.They may resist ranking us that high now, if for no other reason than to save face. JMO.

Coach Tara VanDerveer of Stanford in the 2015-2016 Tournament pre-game interviews prior to our game with them , said something like we are a very good team, we are better than a twelve seed, we beat Miami a 5 seed, they (meaning we) are a five seed. Following her logic,and she's a very well respected coach by the way, this year we were a six seed and beat a 3 seed. Are we then deserving of a 3 seed ranking (respect)?
                      Last edited by jackdaniel; 04-02-2019, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post

Here's a list of ranked teams and their AP ranking,also what round they lost in,the ones we did better than in this Tournament, and the ones we didn't.

#25 Fla St ,lost in 2nd round
                        #24 DePaul,lost in 1st rd
                        #23 Texas, lost in 1st rd
                        #22 Az St,lost in 3rd rd, same rd as SDSU
                        #21 Rice, lost in 1st rd
                        #20 UCLA, lost in 3rd rd, same rd as SDSU
                        #19 Miami , lost in 2nd rd
                        #18 Marquette, lost in 2nd rd
                        #17 Kentucky, lost in 2nd rd
                        #16 Gonzaga, lost in 2nd rd
                        #15 SC , lost in 3rd rd, same rd as SDSU Jacks
                        #14 Tx A&M , lost in 3rd rd ,same rd as Jackrabbits
                        #13 Ia St , lost in 2nd rd
                        #12 Syracuse, lost in 2nd rd
                        #11 Ore St , lost in 3rd rd, same rd as Jacks lost in
                        #10 NC St , lost in 3rd rd , same rd as Jacks
                        #9 Maryland, lost in 2nd rd
                        #8 Ia , lost in 4th rd
                        #7 Ore, just lost in 5th rd
                        #6 Stan , lost in 4th rd
                        #5 Louisville, lost in 4th rd
                        #4 Miss St, lost in 4th rd
                        #3 ND playing 5th rd game
                        #2 UConn playing 5th rd game
                        #1 Baylor , just advanced to 6th rd , the Championship game

Two unranked teams lost in the third round, the Jacks and Missouri State

Yes,to me, #15 or #16 (even though we did just as well as #9-#14, but they were ranked,is there a difference ?), but #14-#18 is probably the best we'll get. The NCAA Tournament is the final test, a lot of ranked teams, let's face it, don't really play what I'd call a stellar OOC schedule so they carry a better W/L record that some pollsters give more weight to than who they played, and who rank these teams throughout the season. This is where that weakness shows up. The last poll of the season usually gives a lot of weight to how well teams perform in the Tournament , as it should, because every game is tough, and gets tougher the more a team advances.
                        Last edited by jackdaniel; 04-06-2019, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Jack's are 22nd in final ESPN coaches pole.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                            Jack's are 22nd in final ESPN coaches pole.
                            Ranked 6 spots behind Syracuse, even after we beat them on their home court in the tourney...

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                              Ranked 6 spots behind Syracuse, even after we beat them on their home court in the tourney...
                              No love for the “little guys”, no doubt. The only game where we really didn’t look like we didn’t belong in the top 20 IMO was Marquette. We looked like tools that day.

Comment

We advanced 4 places by making the sweet 16, UCLA advanced 10 places, also beating a #3 seed , and losing to a final four team like us,to be ranked at #14 from #24. Texas A&M rose seven places, from being ranked #19 to #12,they only had to beat a # 5 seed the 2nd rd, lost to final four team.SC rose five places, also had to beat just a #5 seed in 2nd rd, lost to a final four team, and Ariz St. rose 5 positions,they beat a #4 seed the second rd, lost to non-final four team.We gained four, Mo St only advanced two.It couldn't be any more evident there's a P-5 bias associated with this poll.Two mid-majors ranked for the first time in the poll, two mid-majors fall out, how did Tenn ever get in? Has Miami ever lived up to their ranking in the last four NCAA Tournaments, perennially upset victims, yet here they are again,getting upset by a #5 seed in the 2nd rd.Every year this debacle persists, unabated. But, that's the life of the under appreciated mid-major so it seems.Just happy we finally got enough votes to get ranked, our team deserves it.
                                Last edited by jackdaniel; 04-08-2019, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X