X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: Jackrabbits vs Ducks @ Portland

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
    Thank god that is a bygone era.

The hack and pray is a legitimate plan if a team is within two or three possessions. All it does after that is drag out the inevitable.
    Seems like that worked out not that long ago (Us vs Arkansas. Also UNI Vs TX A.M. But what do I know). If I'm in charge we do everything that gives us a chance no matter how small. When we were in the last 2 min we didn't do that and IMO that is an extreme injustice to the Players. I'm crazy maybe but those of you are happy with Just getting there aren't on the same wavelength and we won't be seeing Eye to eye. Just because I'm upset we never changed our strategy in the game. doesn't mean I'm not proud of the team quite the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post
      How tall was that Oregon center?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Ruthy Hebard 6'4" , their developing soph, 6' 6".Par for the course for P-5 teams.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
        Ruthy Hebard 6'4" , they're developing soph, 6' 6".Par for the course for P-5 teams.
        Is there even a girl in South Dakota who is 6’ 6”?😂

Comment

To be honest, I've thought about how that'd turn out sometimes, but I don't think it's a winnable long term solution to being out sized, even as good as we are most times shooting three's (especially with Maddie and Macy).Better to recruit the positions we are most weak at.You get 5 on the court at a high level of performance, and 2-3 off the bench just about as good, you can compete with anyone.
          Agreed. I think that the only chance that an undersized team has is if they can get fast break points or quick scores. I think that we saw in this game, especailly late in the shot clock, that we just couldn't get any of those patented Macy mid-range jumpers because of their length. And, aside from Macy, we don't really have the kind of penetrating guards that can draw fouls on the posts.
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
            Seems like that worked out not that long ago (Us vs Arkansas. Also UNI Vs TX A.M. But what do I know). If I'm in charge we do everything that gives us a chance no matter how small. When we were in the last 2 min we didn't do that and IMO that is an extreme injustice to the Players. I'm crazy maybe but those of you are happy with Just getting there aren't on the same wavelength and we won't be seeing Eye to eye. Just because I'm upset we never changed our strategy in the game. doesn't mean I'm not proud of the team quite the opposite.
            Oregon is not Arkansas. And we can agree to disagree on that point.

However, the fact that we are even having his conversation about a SWEET 16 GAME is the best! Win or lose I could not be happier to be a Jackrabbit

Comment

I don't doubt your a true fan, the fact you are so upset proves it to me that you are a compassionate fan as a matter of fact.Your entitled to express your opinion sir, that's what fan boards are all about.No one should be chastised for expressing their opinion, as long as it's not offensive of course.

Comment

Is there even a girl in South Dakota who is 6’ 6”?

We might have to look just a little further out, if there are any to get, some are not skilled /athletic enough. One like Sjerven of USD and Kallie Theisen we have coming in, she is a great get, just 6'2", but a wingspan of 6'4". We really need that, on defense especially. Sellend did a fantastic job, for her size, and she has great leaping ability and plays a little bigger than she is. PB is good too, strong, relentless ( she reminds me a little of Ashley Luke of W. Ill who had so much energy, a motor that just wouldn't quit, Luke was 6' 1"? ), but she's giving up even more height.
                Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-30-2019, 12:19 PM. Reason: spell chk

Comment

Might have to look just a little further out, if there are any to get, some are not skilled /athletic enough.One like Severyn of USD and Kallie Theisen we have coming in, she is a great get, just 6'2", but a wingspan of 6'4".We really need that, on defense especially.Sellend did a fantastic job, for her size, but she has great leaping ability.
                  The problem is that there just isn't that many of those type of athletes in the women's game. For all the talk that ESPN throws around about the women's game having "parity," it is still going to be a mostly chalk elite 8 and final 4. The top 5-7 teams are going to hoard all the really good talent. I think that what AJ has been doing with his recruiting can be successful, but there isn't the room for error that the top teams have. SDSU shouldn't be able to shoot 20-some percent and hope to hang with a #2 seed...but you know what, they kind of did!

I am excited to see what the new players bring next year and I am already looking forward to seeing another Sweet 16 run next year!

Comment

Eh I never felt like we were in it since Oregon’s run in the second half. What was the closest we got at the end? 10 points for about 5 seconds? I’m fine with the way we played. We hit a 3 or 2 and it’s a different story. I personally didn’t feel like we had a chance at the end. Just never put multiple good possessions together to bring it to about 8 or so.

Correct. We were never getting close to win that game, late fouling or not. We were over matched. Plain and simple.

Comment

• Re: GDT: Jackrabbits vs Ducks @ Portland

Agreed. I think that the only chance that an undersized team has is if they can get fast break points or quick scores. I think that we saw in this game, especailly late in the shot clock, that we just couldn't get any of those patented Macy mid-range jumpers because of their length. And, aside from Macy, we don't really have the kind of penetrating guards that can draw fouls on the posts.
                      Agree, you have to get fouls on these post players, or be able to score on them, or they will continue to be a thorn in your side and will stagnate your offense and make you become a one dimensional team, standing around or passing around the perimeter and jacking up three's late in the shot clock.

We didn't get enough missed shot rebounds either to start a fast break opportunity in this game. Just about every shot we took in the paint got blocked or partially blocked or they made us take uncomfortable "altered" (low percentage) shots.We still managed to get them on the rim with a chance to go in , but, they didn't.

Comment

So just give up. Ok.
                        Personally I'm not a fan of giving up before the final whistle. Guess it's just a matter of a bygone era.
                        The thing you have to remember is this is women's basketball. This is not meant as a slight to women's basketball at all, but a 12 point lead with 2 minutes left is much different in men's basketball.

Comment

The problem is that there just isn't that many of those type of athletes in the women's game. For all the talk that ESPN throws around about the women's game having "parity," it is still going to be a mostly chalk elite 8 and final 4. The top 5-7 teams are going to hoard all the really good talent. I think that what AJ has been doing with his recruiting can be successful, but there isn't the room for error that the top teams have. SDSU shouldn't be able to shoot 20-some percent and hope to hang with a #2 seed...but you know what, they kind of did!

I am excited to see what the new players bring next year and I am already looking forward to seeing another Sweet 16 run next year!
                          This post is the truth.

Comment

Let's give credit where credit is due. Jackrabbit players were challenged on almost every shot. Even the quick shooting Guebert had to shoot quicker and that spelled trouble (1-9 on FGs/1-7 3pt). Announcers were surprised that SDSU was even in the game considering the miserable shooting percentage. That's because we outrebounded them which was quite a feat considering their size. Let's not forget that 11,324 people attended the game and 11,000 of them were cheering against us. I'm glad we didn't foul at the end because it generally turns a tough loss into an ugly loss. Finally, playing at midnight sucks.

Comment

Ruthy Hebard 6'4" , their developing soph, 6' 6".Par for the course for P-5 teams.
                              It wasn't just her. Sabally is more skilled than Hebard, and if you look at their team picture is an inch taller.

Comment

Oregon just had too much height. It’s pretty impressive they only outscored is by 19 in two games. When they are at full strength (like both time we saw them) they’re definitely top-5 material. In addition to those 6’4 trees Ionescu is likely the top pick in the upcoming WNBA draft - that’s pretty mind blowing when you picture a similar matchup on the men’s side. We needed a heavy dose of March magic in terms of four or five of those almost-open threes to fall.

Where will the Jacks end up ranked in the final poll? This is a legit top-15 team but I doubt they’ll get that high.

Comment

Working...
                                X